What is a down side of having DS?

I've brought up the concerns here to Dr. Arellano's office, and he wrote back to me himself to confirm that Michelle does work for him, she is his US nurse, and she is welcome at Almater since that's where his main office is.

As far as some of the other things - at no point did Michelle, when I spoke to her before or when I joined her page, recommend me towards her surgeon. Everything she has said to me I've been able to verify first hand though independent websites. Dr. Arellano is the president of the Board of Bariatrics, etc. Tijuana is super sketchy, that's a verifiable fact. Her website does not endorse anyone surgeon, but gives people the links to check credentials, and also the links to report bad surgeons to the Mexican authorities. I have never seen a single other coordinator do that. None. She never told me prior to my booking in with Dr. Arellano that he was her surgeon, I only found that out after.

However, the first thing I saw here was bashing of surgeons based on, well, nothing. I've seen people tell them to go to "their" surgeon, and just now recently, I was told, based on two internet posts where I did not disclose any part of my medical or personal history, that I should get some other surgery (presumably with the surgeon that was previously named here.) THAT's sketchy, especially with the information that I've already independently verified as false. No wonder people stay away from Mexico.

Only one surgeon in Mexico "vetted" to do DS? Really? Just one? In a country of over 110 million people, with an obesity rate over 30%? That's insane. Also, vetted by who? An internet forum? Was there an official "Only Duodenal Switch Surgeon in Mexico" hat that he got? Maybe a sticker on his door?

Amy Anderson, if you are still looking, and you don't trust Michelle, that's fine. I get that this is a scary forum and I freaked out a bit. Vet the information for yourself. You can see Dr. Arellano's credentials, and he can verify Michelle's employment. Check out the official warnings about Tijuana Mexico that have been issued. Don't rely on internet drama and infighting.

Whatever procedure you choose, there's no need to go through a middleman / medical tourism coordinator. Best to get in touch with the doctor's office directly, especially if money-conscious. They should be happy to assist with arrangements without any additional fees.

I haven't read much about Dr. Arellano, but his direct website is easily found via google. Michele Dewar is his office's internal International Patient Coordinator who will provide assistance free of charge.

That said, based on my years of being on bariatric surgery boards, Dr. Esquerra has the best reputation of any bariatric surgeon in Mexico that I've read about and is the only one to whom I would refer my own friends or family, especially for DS. His direct website is: http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/doctor/dr-antonio-esquerra/ PHONE +52 661 850 1797 OR TOLL FREE: 1-888-344-3916

Surgeon choice is critical. Veteran patients are a great source of information based on actual experience.

All the best!

Last edited:
Yes, I am familiar with his website. That's how I first contacted them. Dr. Michele Dewar is a doctor, not a patient coordinator.

Patients who have first hand experience are fine, and it's nice to find someone, but keep in mind, there are several paid posters out there, and most patients don't know how to verify a doctor's credentials. Go to any of the Facebook groups, you'll still have "former patients" of Almanza talking about how they, their mother, their cousins, and their entire hometown in Florida got sleeved by him and now they're all super healthy (and most importantly, alive), and their doctor in the United States are in awe over his beautiful incisions.

Perhaps she is both! I don't know and don't really care. All I can say with any certainty is that I am a real person, I had a real virgin DS with Dr. Esquerra June of 2016, he is a great surgeon, his office staff are very helpful and Almater hospital is a very nice facility. I dealt directly with his office from day one, no medical tourism needed. I did extensive research, looking at websites, reading glowing reports of various surgeons along with horror stories about same surgeons. None of the latter could be found about Dr. Esquerra. I'm sorry you found this forum to be so scary and freaky. It has been a blessing to me and nothing but helpful. I hung around while doing my independent research for months before making my decision to have the DS. I did not take it lightly. Once I made my mind up things fell in to place beautifully and here I am, loving life and wishing I had done this years sooner. I'm right on track to hit my goal and I really think I will. And if I don't make it, that's okay too. If you have any specific questions about my arrangements, trip, anything, I am glad to answer them, here or in PMs.

@Spiky Bugger - care to weigh in here?

Please note that this thread was started by "Daphne" - who turned out to be one of Michelle's MANY fake names.

Everyone else: I wouldn't be surprised if Csdxn is Michelle too.

That's very possible! So, I was just skimming back through this thread...refresing my mind. It seems there is a "good" michelle and a "bad" michelle. The good one is the pretty one shown on the doctor's website and then the other lady who tries to get patients to book through her?

I will say this, when I paid my deposit to Dr. Esquerra's office to hold the surgery date I wanted, I was directed to send a check made payable to a woman's name to an address in Calexico (am I remembering this right, Clematis?) When I questioned this they told me she was their person on the US side and it had to do with finances, etc. In my mind I figured it was something about international banking and I had enough on my mind to worry about at the time without taking that on too!

I hated this thread when I first read it 2 years before my surgery. The title addresses something important that all pre-op DSers should want to read. Then a page or two in it mutates into crazy deception. I was disappointed not to have the info the title alluded to; gobsmacked to read the lengths to which this predator Michele has gone. "Gone" being the operative word.

But no such luck.

This damned thread has been freakishly reanimated like Frankenstein. I don't know much about any of this but, yeah, Csdxn, the second I started reading Post 121 I was pretty convinced you were Michele, "awakened" when Amy's post triggered an alert to your alias "Daphne".

@Susan in Tennessee the $500 deposit was sent to a woman (I have the name but won't post it here) in Calexico, the "twin" city to Mexicali because MBC cannot process a US check and they didn't want us to feel hassled (and perhaps have our bank charge us a fee) by doing a wire transfer until we had to for the main surgical payment. Well, unless we wanted to arrive with a pants full of bills, as someone on here did. Using a credit card would result in having to pay extra to cover the cc merchant fee (2-3%? I don't recall.)

@Spiky Bugger - care to weigh in here?

Please note that this thread was started by "Daphne" - who turned out to be one of Michelle's MANY fake names.

Everyone else: I wouldn't be surprised if Csdxn is Michelle too.

I wonder if Michelle has resolved the transporting drugs across international borders thing...or the case(s) in...was it Phoenix?...where she was getting sued by family members she had conned....hmmm

Diana. Maybe you can go see if there is stuff in the courts now?

I hated this thread when I first read it 2 years before my surgery. The title addresses something important that all pre-op DSers should want to read. Then a page or two in it mutates into crazy deception. I was disappointed not to have the info the title alluded to; gobsmacked to read the lengths to which this predator Michele has gone. "Gone" being the operative word.

But no such luck.

This damned thread has been freakishly reanimated like Frankenstein. I don't know much about any of this but, yeah, Csdxn, the second I started reading Post 121 I was pretty convinced you were Michele, "awakened" when Amy's post triggered an alert to your alias "Daphne".

@Susan in Tennessee the $500 deposit was sent to a woman (I have the name but won't post it here) in Calexico, the "twin" city to Mexicali because MBC cannot process a US check and they didn't want us to feel hassled (and perhaps have our bank charge us a fee) by doing a wire transfer until we had to for the main surgical payment. Well, unless we wanted to arrive with a pants full of bills, as someone on here did. Using a credit card would result in having to pay extra to cover the cc merchant fee (2-3%? I don't recall.)
Same with me, I have the name but didn't post it either. I just wanted to mention it to show that them doing this was not for evil reasons.

Yes, I am familiar with his website. That's how I first contacted them. Dr. Michele Dewar is a doctor, not a patient coordinator.

Michele Dewar may well be a doctor, but she also is listed on the official website specifically as patient coordinator, as below:

"
INTERNATIONAL PATIENT COORDINATOR

Our International Patient Coordinator acts as your personal concierge, managing every aspect of your visit. From the very first phone call or email, we’ll be with you every step of the way. We coordinate everything – from your consultations with Dr. Arellano and admission to our facility to your travel and hotel arrangements.

Contact Michele Dewar, our International Patient Coordinator at (edited out phone number) or via email at (edited our email address)

"Patients who have first hand experience are fine, and it's nice to find someone, but keep in mind, there are several paid posters out there, and most patients don't know how to verify a doctor's credentials. .

I don't know of any paid posters on this site - it's a shame there may be some out there on others. I'm a real patient. I came here to be part of a community of other real patients - specifically for the advice of veteran patients.

I would strongly advise against relying on a paid medical tourism coordinator who will benefit financially from advice given to provide doctor recommendations or credential verification. There's a clear cut conflict of interest there!

Anyway all the best. I'd seek info from a lot of sources - both veteran patients, government and credentialing bodies, hospital records AND I would contact the doctor's offices directly myself. That's the way to cut the wheat from the chaff.

All the best.

Admin note: edits done to keep newbies from contacting her.
Hilary note to admin: Sorry! Will keep contact info out of future posts. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry do not know where this will end up in the feed...i just found out we will have a new DS'r tomorrow. He is going to Mexico Bariatric Center in TJ though...have any of their surgeons passed the vetting process here? I just found out about him but I am already nervous for him. Told him to get his surgery report to make sure he is hetting the 2 anastomosis DS and not the ugly step sister SADI...wish i met him a month ago.

I would hope he would look into Mexicali--not Mexico--Bariatric Center. Yeah, Tijuana is cheaper, but the DS is a HUGE surgery and he wants the most experienced surgeons.

I would hope he would look into Mexicali--not Mexico--Bariatric Center. Yeah, Tijuana is cheaper, but the DS is a HUGE surgery and he wants the most experienced surgeons.
Just found out it is with Ponce..the DS group I follow on FB are pretty sure he is getting the SADI... bad feels when you do not do all of your research.

Just found out it is with Ponce..the DS group I follow on FB are pretty sure he is getting the SADI... bad feels when you do not do all of your research.
Not a whole hell of a lot that can be done now. Just wish he had joined here months ago to learn. Ponce has a horrid reputation as a bait and don't switch.

I'm really interested in knowing the whole story on DS. Every surgery type has pros and cons. If there was just one thing you could change about DS, what would it be? Less gas? Fewer vitamins?

I really need to make a decision quickly and I would be most interested in both the good and bad of DS. I have heard much of the good, there has to be a down side as with any surgery.

I was already to go with VSG and my surgeon's office suggested I consider other options. They feel VSG or DS would be ideal for me. I have a surgery date set but I may change it due to a change in surgery. I am unsure.

I have read about bowel obstructions, anemia, and other complications. How often do these occur?

Thank you.
The gas for sure!!!! Yes it is controllable (somewhat)...but damn!

Latest posts

Back