What did I do?

Mini Me

Having huge buyers remorse right now. Had surgery 10/10/17. Still feeling very weak. Getting 60 or less grams of protein in per day. I am honestly trying, but cannot get more in. Everything tastes disgusting — my tastebuds have changed so much.

Please tell me this gets easier!

It does get easier! the energy comes back, and at this point do the 30-60-90 thing - shoot for 30 grams protein by 30 days after surgery, etc.

@Mini Me It gets so much easier! LoL, I was the same way, in that everything tasted awful! Itwasthesameforsmells, too! It'll pass. You're doing great getting in 60g protein already. Keep it up, and I swear, it'll start paying off. Some things will suck for quite some time; but the good will start outweighing the bad soon.

It gets MUCH better! Not only will you recover from a major surgery that altered your metabolism, you will lose weight and gain energy and a whole new life. You are still very early out, give yourself a chance to recover and give the surgery a chance to work. As long as you stay hydrated at this point, you're doing fine.

It gets better!!!! You are only 20 days out. You need to give your body time to recover. It took me 2 months to feel human again and another 4 to get my energy back. Now I think it's the best decison I ever made. Hang tight. Give it time

Hang in there! And please stay hydrated - it's easy to get dehydrated early on and feel so much worse for it.

Your main goal is to stay hydrated. Getting the to 60 grams in the first 60 days is a secondary goal (for now) and you're doing fine in that regard. Just remember that your body is still adjusting and be kind to yourself. You are doing great and it does get easier. In a few months, you will look back and be so glad you made this choice. Hang in there!

Thanks everyone. Hydration has been easy due to Crystal Light Peach tea. Just working on my energy and protein intake. I did do some laundry today, so that is progress.

You're still pretty early out, and honestly, it's sort of hard not to have buyers remorse at that stage. The worst is past, and then you'll notice you are feeling a little better every day that passes. The surprises will be coming soon, like "wow, I can bend like a pretzel to cut my toenails!" or little things that others take for granted, that make you want to cry (that, and the dump of hormones out of your fat cells that may have you crying anyway). Hang in there, you're so close to the good part!

I had to go on a cross-country business trip 5 weeks after surgery, with stops in DC and NYC, where I had to attend a conference and give a talk. My first NSV - I already didn't need a seat belt extender! And although I was exhausted very easily, in between, I felt pretty good.

At 10 weeks out, I had a trip from SF to Paris. I met up with a girlfriend from LA who was undergoing chemo for stage 4 ovarian cancer - she was between rounds. We shared my fancy expense-account hotel room - she with her colostomy bag and me with my gross new DS poop - and except for my 2 day meeting, we spent a week walking a bit, stopping a bit, eating a bit, and generally having an invalid-ish lovely October week in Paris. She felt so good afterwards that when I flew home, she decided to extend her trip and meet another friend in Barcelona. (She died the following summer)

And then 4 weeks after that, I had a meeting in London, and took my husband and we spent about 2.5 weeks in London and environs, with a trip to Edinburgh, and I was doing pretty good by then - certainly better than I had before surgery (when my feet would hurt after 30' of standing or walking). Keep in mind, I was 50 when I had my DS.

So set your mind that by about 2-3 months out, between feeling better with respect to recuperating from surgery, and feeling better from weight loss, you will likely get a sudden rush of DAMN! This thing WORKED!! (YMMV, but that's about the timeline)

laundry after major surgery is hard! sounds like you are doing very well and might as well be proud of yourself :bacondance:

Latest posts

Back