Weight training vs Cardio...the ARGUEMENT

LindaDarnell

So I rarely discuss my WLS journey with people outside of my immediate family. And I dont give advice abt weightloss unless pushed...everything is not for everybody. But I broke my rules and got baited into an "arguement" / debate abt exercise. A co-worker mentioned she's preparing for VSG in a few months and was told she should start exercising now to help build muscle tone. She knows I've always used a trainer for weight resistance toning and asked me. Some random nobody that's failed at every diet from WW to Jenny, interjected her zero cents (yep, I can be a mean girl). She went on this rant abt the benefits of cardio...and how weight training won't help with heart strength and stamina, and how cardio will help her lose weight, blah blah. My response to the person who asked my opinion "you were told to do weight training bc ull need muscle tone as u start loosing weight really fast. While it wont completely counter saggy skin, if u build muscle tone now, ull have a jumpstart on saggy skin. I doubt the exercise was suggested to help u lose weight. By the way, if cardio helped people lose the amount of weight the 3 of us need to lose, one of us wouldnt always be at Physician's Plan center paying for pills (referring to the random big mouth).

So what's yalls take? Do u prefer cardio or weight training. Because I HATE exercising, when I do it, I prefer weight training bc it gives faster result with toning my flabby areas and shaping my body. I can do 45 minutes 2x a week and see results in a month. But cardio requires at least 4x a week, and I still dont tone or build muscle. But that's my body.

I'm going to come at this from my own perspective as a USAG certified optionals-to-pre elite gymnastics coach. I can attest that "weight" training is not necessarily the same as "resistance" training. Resistance training will often encompass using your own body weight, plyometric training (squat jumps, etc.), and pilates-esque training. So, if all you are considering is cardio vs weight training, you aren't giving yourself a full range of options. Resistance training allows you to do both--train with resistance while getting a little bit (or a lot, depending on your program) of cardio training. This is why techniques, such as those espoused by CrossFit provide such impressive results. So, perhaps consider weight AND resistance training, as that combination will give you the cardio level training to whatever degree you are comfortable with it, while also allowing you to work on flexibility, balance, and strength. Does that make sense?

Decades ago a doctor told me the absolute best exercise to lose weight: push yourself away from the table. I hated him.

I think research shows that only men with their larger muscle mass *may* lose significant weight through exercise but not women. (By "significant" I mean > 10 lbs.)

Women, especially as they age, need to exercise for cardiac health, and to maintain flexibility and core strength to prevent falls, and to slow bone loss. Beyond that is perhaps the desire to look "ripped" with very defined muscles which would require more strength training. But at my age I'd look less healthy ripped and more Iggy Pop desiccated.

Now if you're asking if exercise is going to do squat for saggy skin the answer is, alas, no. I power walk 4+ miles daily at a fast 12.5 mph pace and always have (pre and post DS). I do hour-long high impact Jazzercise class using 8# hand weights 4-5x a week. I belong to two hiking clubs and just got back from a brisk group 11 mi hike -- I do 2 of those a month, and I do 6 mile group hikes the other two weeks a month. And I still look like a Sharpei.

I'm going to come at this from my own perspective as a USAG certified optionals-to-pre elite gymnastics coach. I can attest that "weight" training is not necessarily the same as "resistance" training. Resistance training will often encompass using your own body weight, plyometric training (squat jumps, etc.), and pilates-esque training. So, if all you are considering is cardio vs weight training, you aren't giving yourself a full range of options. Resistance training allows you to do both--train with resistance while getting a little bit (or a lot, depending on your program) of cardio training. This is why techniques, such as those espoused by CrossFit provide such impressive results. So, perhaps consider weight AND resistance training, as that combination will give you the cardio level training to whatever degree you are comfortable with it, while also allowing you to work on flexibility, balance, and strength. Does that make sense?
Yes definitely. I put resistance training in a totally different category bc of exactly what you explained

Decades ago a doctor told me the absolute best exercise to lose weight: push yourself away from the table. I hated him.

I think research shows that only men with their larger muscle mass *may* lose significant weight through exercise but not women. (By "significant" I mean > 10 lbs.)

Women, especially as they age, need to exercise for cardiac health, and to maintain flexibility and core strength to prevent falls, and to slow bone loss. Beyond that is perhaps the desire to look "ripped" with very defined muscles which would require more strength training. But at my age I'd look less healthy ripped and more Iggy Pop desiccated.

Now if you're asking if exercise is going to do squat for saggy skin the answer is, alas, no. I power walk 4+ miles daily at a fast 12.5 mph pace and always have (pre and post DS). I do hour-long high impact Jazzercise class using 8# hand weights 4-5x a week. I belong to two hiking clubs and just got back from a brisk group 11 mi hike -- I do 2 of those a month, and I do 6 mile group hikes the other two weeks a month. And I still look like a Sharpei.
Lol at ur sharpei comment!! But all jokes aside, it takes alot...ALOT of weight training for most women to get ripped to that body builder form. My trainer has alot of those women in his club and they compete in body building competitions. But they lift heavy, 2 hours a day and follow deep keto regimens. The other half of his clientele are women like me just trying to tone up. And while u may see some definition in certain areas of our bodies, nothing ripped at all. Typically u do see our bodies become more slender, some even svelte (i had that for 10 minutes lol)..but the weight loss isnt dramatic.

My perspective as a lifelong exercise hater. I loathe it. I hate to sweat. First and foremost for me is consistency. Finding something I will actually DO is much more important than what I am doing. What I will do is swim, walk, rowing machine, and run. All cardio but those are the only things that have kept my interest enough to make a difference. I have found that if I run X miles a week, I can pretty much eat as I please but I am getting old and won't be able to do that forever. And in the summer it is too hot! I am just now starting to get in shape to start running again. Part of what makes this tolerable is listening to music while I do it. Must remember to put Despacito on my walkman!

Over the years I have tried several times to get into weight training and I find it drop dead boring. Spending hours in a gym and not getting anything out of it! I won't do classes either. I refuse to prance about my jiggly bits in public. I am just not a joiner. The only thing I like at the gym was racquetball but you have to have someone to play with. I think part of this is being female. Men seem to get a lot more out of weight training than women do. They have the muscles and the hormones for it.

After saying the above... I know a woman who is over 70 who looks about 40. You can bounce quarters off her perfectly formed ass. She swears it's all weight training at the gym. If I got her results, I would just LIVE at the gym. So there are exceptions to every rule and you have to find what works for you. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer.

Finding something I will actually DO is much more important than what I am doing.

Definitely this. I'm the exact opposite of you - I enjoy lifting weights. I would prefer, if being chased by a lion, to just be eaten than spend my last moments on earth in the hell called 'running'. Sadly, my trainer left late last year and I didn't 'click' with the new one. My condo gym just finished getting a makeover, so I should drop by and see what new weights they have...but consistency is key!

Thank you for posting this.

I am bad at weight lifting. I wish I had the stamina and confidence to resistance train.

I am going to give up one or two days a week to do more weights. I admit when I do I feel better. For some reason the cardio is 'easier' for me.

Although that is probably largely due to the fact the weights are in a very public area of my gym and the cardio tucked up in a balcony and I'd rather hide... I need to get over that.

I know I lack flexibility and core strength. I'd also like to tone up areas of my body.

I've read more and more about the benefits of weights vs. cardio.

I wish I had the ability to crossfit but I'm way too self conscious.

I honestly think every body is different. My body likes 50/50. I am a chronic cardio person (i.e. I could do 1 hour on the elliptical and then leave without doing any weights). I found what's best for me is warm up on one cardio machine (ex 1 mile on elliptical), lift weights/machines, another mile on a exercise machine, weights, etc.. I also love spin classes, ESPECIALLY classes that are at a spin studio. The instructors tend to be amazing and the room is dark and cool, so nobody can see you.

I try to end with sprinting 1-2 minutes on the treadmill or doing planks and stretching. I've always been athletic and have muscle tone, but I to have some sagging skin issues.

I like cardio but every traininer I've ever had promoted muscle building they say it helps you burn more fat quicker

My hubby and I go to planet fitness 3 times a week, and I use 9 of their machines. (It only takes me about 35 minutes ). Then we ride our bikes 5 miles 4 or more nights a week. I have always hated exercise and lifting weights especially walking! But I have osteopenia (spelling?) So I worry about bone loss. Since my husband retired, we encourage each other to keep going. Besides, we treat ourselves with eating breakfast at our favorite restaurant after we've worked out!

For me cardio = lifting the weights faster. Or lifting the weights more times.

Spending 45+ minutes on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical would be straight torture to me. No thanks.

The only times in my life I have managed to be normal weight were when I did both cardio AND strength training (along with strict diet). Cardio alone does nothing for me as far as weight loss -- I trained for and ran a half marathon and didn't lose any weight whatsoever. But once I get into a routine of one hour cardio and half hour strength training 4-5 times a week I have been able to maintain a normal weight in the past. So now that's what I'm doing. I'm 3 months post op so still working up to full speed but I have noticed that my weight loss picked up a little when I started with light weights a month ago. I've been walking every day since about a week post op.

Latest posts

Back