weight loss rny to ds

Wendy Prine

First, i like to give a big shout out to everybody. This site was recommended to me by Dianna Cox. This site has a wealth of information. Little bit about me....im 44 and had lap rny in 2004. Went in at 320, lost to 155. Maintained for many years, no problems, no complications. Had a baby in 2009, got up to 200, then back down to 160. Around 11-2011, i had my gallbladder removed & the wt started piling on. I gave gained back 70 plus pounds. I have consulted with Dr. Boyce about a revision to a DS. Im sure this is what i need, im prepared for the change. I can do this! Im on my 1st appeal at the present. I want to know how sucessful yall revisioners have been from rny to ds. How has the wt loss been....slow, fast, steady...is it comparable to the wt loss with initial surgery? Are you at your goal wt?

I'm not a revision patient, but you need to understand a few thing about this:
  • Revisions from RNY to DS ard DANGEROUS. Your focus on weight loss is misplaced. This sort of revision is about your HEALTH, and any weight loss (of which you will have at least some) is secondary and bonus.
  • Your questions about other people's results are pointless. You need to be looking at population studies and averages, not individuals.
  • The odds are quite likely that your weight loss results will be slower than a virgin surgery, that you will not get down as low as you would have had you had a virgin DS, and even less likely that you will get to and stay at "goal." You screwed yourself by getting a lesser surgery first.
  • If total weight loss is the most important thing to you, you are not ready for surgery, because you are going to go through hell and end up disappointed.
  • You should be asking the long-term post-op revisionistas about their surgeries, their surgeons, how they coped with complications, how they managed financial risks as self-pay, whether they are happy with their lives now, what they struggle with, and whether it was worth it with respect to their health and satisfaction with life.
It is NOT about the weight loss per se. If that's your main interest in seeking this risky surgery, I suggest you seriously reconsider, because you are likely to end up in a world of regret. The DS is no magic bullet - just the only hope for a REASONABLE chance at a decent life, for people who understand the risks, consequences, and their responsibilities for the medicalized life they will be living.

Last edited:
I can't answer your specific questions as I didn't have a revision, just wanted to say Hi and welcome you to this awesome group. I hope you will be able to get the revision you want and that your surgery will be safe (the most important thing by far) and successful. Do keep in mind that it's much higher risk than a virgin DS, as your surgeon will have to take apart your entire RNY, restore the original anatomy, and then do the DS. Complications are much more likely than with a virgin DS, and recovery can be prolonged.
While I agree completely with Diana that it's vital to look at population studies and statistics, you won't find much for this type of revision because so few surgeons do them. Most people who start out with RNY end up stuck with it, for better or worse, either because it works out well for them, or because they don't even know revision is possible, or because insurance won't cover it, or they're too scared, and probably other reasons that aren't coming to mind right now. Bottom line, it does help to ask individuals about their personal experience, keeping in mind that their individual experiences can at best give you a general idea of what's involved and won't predict your personal experience.

Welcome, Wendy! I had the revision from the RNY to the DS. I am not quite 3 months out and have lost 35 lbs, but everyone IS different. Everyone in individual because they are the ones that eat what they choose whether it's protein, fats or too many carbs. We are all accountable for ourselves and our weight loss. I was told inches show before pounds. Because the RNY didn't work for me, I am trying to just live and eat right and just have hope that the DS will work right... ONLY if I eat right!!! I mess up sometimes and I KICK myself for it as it IS a very serious, dangerous surgery.
Best of Luck to you, Wendy! Read all you can. Learn all you can about the vitamins and supplements to... especially from this site... and just really prepare to LIVE... not wait to live till you lose the weight... just live NOW.

Welcome, Wendy! I had the revision from the RNY to the DS. I am not quite 3 months out and have lost 35 lbs, but everyone IS different. Everyone in individual because they are the ones that eat what they choose whether it's protein, fats or too many carbs. We are all accountable for ourselves and our weight loss. I was told inches show before pounds. Because the RNY didn't work for me, I am trying to just live and eat right and just have hope that the DS will work right... ONLY if I eat right!!! I mess up sometimes and I KICK myself for it as it IS a very serious, dangerous surgery.
Best of Luck to you, Wendy! Read all you can. Learn all you can about the vitamins and supplements to... especially from this site... and just really prepare to LIVE... not wait to live till you lose the weight... just live NOW.
Welcome Wendy! I'm not a revision - had a virgin DS just 1 week ago - but I wanted to wish you the best with your research and your decision. You'll find a wealth of solid information here. Good luck!

Welcome Wendy!
I'm a lap band to DS revision so my surgery experience won't be too useful to you, but I *did* want to say hello and welcome.

I have to say replies like Bad Cop gave make me want to run and not ask any questions. I don't think any of us would have a weight loss surgery if "weight loss" wasn't one of our primary goals. I am also looking to go from RNY to DS. My husband is a virgin surgery to what type we are still researching.

I guess my first question before I want to go further is being spoken to in this manner customary? I see no reason for the reply that the op got and I also notice she hasn't been back. I have researched this decision for over a year, but I do still have questions.

I have to say replies like Bad Cop gave make me want to run and not ask any questions. I don't think any of us would have a weight loss surgery if "weight loss" wasn't one of our primary goals. I am also looking to go from RNY to DS. My husband is a virgin surgery to what type we are still researching.

I guess my first question before I want to go further is being spoken to in this manner customary? I see no reason for the reply that the op got and I also notice she hasn't been back. I have researched this decision for over a year, but I do still have questions.
Diana gave a tough but candid reply but you need to understand that this site is a fantastic community and extremely supportive, but on occasion there are posts that come across harshly but it is for a reason. Some people aren't ready mentally for the challenge of the DS snd especially a RnY to DS revision...that is a very tough surgery that frankly beats the snot out of your insides and is a tough recovery, so you have to strong/comnitted to following DS rules.

BTW, Diana is an extremely caring individual who devotes a lot of her time to helping people. She and Larra have spent tons of their own personal time and have successfully gotten numerous people approved for the DS through insurance appeals. Not only that but she has great experience living with the DS as ithink she is 12 years out now.

Before deciding to leave I would ask you to read through posts on this board to see just how fantastic this place and it's people truly are.

@Tallula.Belle Don't leave because of one post. Diana goes above and beyond to help virtual strangers here, but her attorney just-the-facts-ma'am can come off prickly at times and this may be one of them. There are many here who are quite warm and fuzzy. So while Diana rips off the band-aid, the rest of us comfort and soothe. Hang around and check us out.

I absolutely agree with what @DSRIGGS said and more. My Family and I was lucky enough to visit with Diana and her Family and a few other wonderful members from this site in person last June when we vacationed in California. I am a 57 yr old male that’s been around the block more than I’d sometimes like to admit, in other words, there is NO BULLSHITTING me, I can see right through it all. When I first started posting here over 1.4 months ago, Diana and a few others shown me some tough love eye opening posts also, as I was about ready to make some really bad choices of some shall we say “Less than reputable” surgeon choices. Her posts were intentionally out there and in your face. And YES, it worked and It got my attention and MORE IMPORTANTLY…it made me stop and think and probably saved me from the "Bait-and-no Switch" thus allowing me to actually get my DS . THAT IS HER MOTIVATION….it is tough love. I knew within a few months that this Lady was one on the most caring, KIND, SMARTEST and FUNNY people I have ever met. I could see right through all that facade of a tough exterior. I had her real number...lol and she is a SWEETHEART...she just doesnt want anyone to know it..;). When we met in person, it confirmed everything my inner voice was telling me about her and even more. We had a wonderful visit and it felt like we'd always known each other for years, so comfortable. This Woman has no fake bullshit, no pretentious hidden agendas and gives hundreds upon hundreds of her selfless hours per year dedicating her free time to helping others and I absolutely adore her and she is now my friend for life……SO please, I beg of you, to understand her “Style” and her self-confessed “Bad Cop” motivations and your knowing of her will be one of the best things that can happen to you.

I wish you my absolute sincere best wishes for your good health, happiness and WL success!
Rob

I absolutely agree with what @DSRIGGS said and more. My Family and I was lucky enough to visit with Diana and her Family and a few other wonderful members from this site in person last June when we vacationed in California. I am a 57 yr old male that’s been around the block more than I’d sometimes like to admit, in other words, there is NO BULLSHITTING me, I can see right through it all. When I first started posting here over 1.4 months ago, Diana and a few others shown me some tough love eye opening posts also, as I was about ready to make some really bad choices of some shall we say “Less than reputable” surgeon choices. Her posts were intentionally out there and in your face. And YES, it worked and It got my attention and MORE IMPORTANTLY…it made me stop and think and probably saved me from the "Bait-and-no Switch" thus allowing me to actually get my DS . THAT IS HER MOTIVATION….it is tough love. I knew within a few months that this Lady was one on the most caring, KIND, SMARTEST and FUNNY people I have ever met. I could see right through all that facade of a tough exterior. I had her real number...lol and she is a SWEETHEART...she just doesnt want anyone to know it..;). When we met in person, it confirmed everything my inner voice was telling me about her and even more. We had a wonderful visit and it felt like we'd always known each other for years, so comfortable. This Woman has no fake bullshit, no pretentious hidden agendas and gives hundreds upon hundreds of her selfless hours per year dedicating her free time to helping others and I absolutely adore her and she is now my friend for life……SO please, I beg of you, to understand her “Style” and her self-confessed “Bad Cop” motivations and your knowing of her will be one of the best things that can happen to you.

I wish you my absolute sincere best wishes for your good health, happiness and WL success!
Rob
SO true @robs477 I haven't met Diana in person but we have shared a lot of PM's on here. No doubt she is a great lady who cares deeply about others, even though she enjoys playing the role of the bad cop.

The next time I am in the Bay area I will be looking her up as well as @Larra to buy these two lovely ladies dinner. I was lucky enough to finally meet Larra in person at our hotel in Burbank after my revision surgery and she is a sweetheart to whom I owe a lot. These two ladies, and Liz are fantastic and help so many people.

Thank you all, so much for your response. I was hoping this would be a place to come for support and info and admittedly I may had judged Diana too soon, so I do apologize. It just surprised me that the first thread that caught my eye, as it was describing exactly what I am going through, was met with such a harsh reply.

I know this will not be a breeze and have been researching this revision for quite sometime. I am 47 and my prayer is that before 50, I will be a much healthier me. I am in Tennessee, so I was thrilled to find that Dr. Boyce is in Knoxville.

Again thank you all do much.

I, too, was met with a much harsh reply, albeit trying to do it in a protective way. I was given advice about my surgeon that they felt he was not reputable and I should not go to him. I was hurt by the harshness. I said I would not come back to this site.. Ever... (notice I'm back). I did have my surgery from my surgeon and all went well. I like this site more because of the active interaction and responses you get. I appreciate the help right away that they give... you don't always have to wait a week or so. Now, I haven't quite had that much positive interaction with Diana, but I believe she does have our best interest at heart. I am a 3 month newbie RNY revision to DS, and still learning. I am very grateful for the KNOWLEDGE of Diana and others that have been DSer's for quite some time and can give me the advice to help me along. Yeah, I am back for advice and help, after I licked my wounds (feelings).
Good luck to you!!

Latest posts

Back