:-( We have lost one of our beloved members

Three...Shannon was this past summer and had two kids.
You are right. I didn't really know her so I forgot but darn.

BTW Lisa had cancer so it was not DS related so I know people are probably thinking, oh my are we next? I think these are just things that would have happened, and maybe sooner, had the DS not happened.

I want to take a moment to remind people that with a community this size (~1433 members), losses are inevitable. And they are not necessarily related to their bariatric surgery - most likely, many got more time than they would have.

From Marceau's 2007 15 year DS study, which included early years when they did the much shorter common channel, and had a higher operative mortality rate than most surgeons have now:

Survival
During the 15 years of follow-up, 67/1423 died
including 16 (1.1%) operative deaths for an annual
mortality rate of 0.5%. Survival rate at 15 years was
92%, a greater success rate than that reported by
Flum et al8 for a similar series of 3,328 patients after
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP) and followed
for an equivalent period. They reported a survival
rate of 88.2% after RYGBP and 83.7% for morbidly
obese subjects without operation. The risk of dying
(EHR: Excess Hazard Ratio) for morbidly obese
patients after DS was 1.2, comparable to the normal
Quebec population
.9 Mortality risk has been
reported to be three times greater (EHR:3) for the
Canadian morbidly obese population.10​

The EHR for DSers was 1.2 compared to the normal population.
The EHR for people who were MO was 3.
Don't be unduly alarmed.
But yes, be very sad.

Attachments

• Marceau 15 year follow-up complete article.pdf
    470.5 KB · Views: 3
There is nothing so bloody painful as how random life is. It's so poignant that we come here to be well and change our lives from what can only be described as self destruction to positive and in so doing we fall pray to life in all its badass beauty.

We damage ourselves being morbidly obses. We increase risks of cancers, heart disease and autoimmune/ endocrine you name it. Why then does the fallout hit when we are finally well? No idea.

I had one moment that changed all others when I first started nursing. The ambulance bought a 25 year old woman in deceased. She was in a stunning buisness suit with reebok trainers on as she was walking to work. Her makeup was perfect, her clothes wee perfect, she looked like any woman going to work. She had gone over on her ankle on the curb and fallen front of a bus accelerating in the bus lane. The back of he head was totally decimated. They asked us to make her ready for her family. We did. She was perfect. She was just going to work. It was at this second it clicked for me. Things just happen. There is no reason, they just do. It is profoundly sad we've lost one of our own. There aren't really words to make it better. Things just happen and it isn't enough when you're hurrting.

It's important to live a life that is authentic and true to you. What you have this very second matters because it can change in a blindsiding moment.

We lost a sweet man. It hurts. It's is fucked up. It is life. Magnificent, petulant, changeable life. Make if count. Salute dear friend.

I am so sad. He was such a wonderful, kind-hearted man. My condolences to Trish, Trinity and the myriad of people who will miss him greatly. :(

This is so very heartbreaking. I really enjoyed his contributions to this board. My heartfelt condolences to those who loved him and those who called him a friend.

I am devastated and desolated to have to report that Trish Roberts called me early this morning to let me know (and she asked me to tell the board) that her husband Steve - robs477 - had a heart attack last night and didn't survive.

This was utterly unexpected. Steve was very proud of the fact that his preop cardiovascular workup had shown him to "have the heart of a 30 year old." Trish is at a complete loss - Steve was doing so well, and was just at his doctor's office, where he was told he was doing well, despite his concerns about still losing rather quickly. He was on top of his labs, as he was just discussing over the last few days. He had just had his 1 year surgiversary, and last week Dr. Wilson reassured him he was doing fine.

I have asked Trish to join us here when she is ready - she had a VSG a few months ago, and Steve was her support. They were also raising their teenaged granddaughter Trinity. They were preparing to reap the rewards of their hard work of getting healthy, for Trinity and for themselves - this is just so unfair and tragic.

RIP Steve/Robs: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/pics-to-go-with-my-recent-update.3780/

My heart is broken for Steve, and for Trish and Trinity. Please keep them all in your thoughts.

SMDH...no words.

Latest posts

Back