VSG to DS

-Flo-

Hi everybody. I have a VSG and I am thinking of having it revised to the DS. I will be self pay as my insurance has an exclusion. I'm wondering who have you heard of that has a good self pay rate. I read online about Dr. Greenbaum being a good value but when I called, the secretary said the hospital just changed their pay rate. The current rate for the surgery is 21k. Which to me is costly. I am debating going to Mexico but I would prefer to stay in the states. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Welcome @-Flo-
Honestly Greenbaum's self pay still is the best rate. Boyce is 25K and his is the low end of average. I recently heard Sudan was quoting 30K. But Esquerra at Mexicali is a great option. Several members have had him and love him.

Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric Center is $8500 to add the switch to a VSG (I think). They were very professional. You fly to San Diego and they pick you up at the airport. The cleanest hospital you'll ever be in.

Hi and welcome @-Flo- ! I'm glad you found your way here. Did you make it clear to the staff at Dr. Greenbaum's office that you already had a sleeve? I don't know if that affects his self-pay rate or not, much of it may be what you pay to the hospital and not to him. If that doesn't pan out, Dr. Esquerra in Mexico is getting great reviews here, as is his hospital. I understand that leaving the country for major surgery can be scary, but others have already forged the path for you and they are very pleased with both the surgery and the overall quality of care there.

Thanks Larra! I really appreciate all your insights. Yes, Dr. Greenbaum's office knows I have the sleeve. His price has not gone up, it is the hospitals. I have been doing alot of research tonight and I think I will be going to Dr. Esquerra. I will be calling his office Monday. I just have to wrap my head around having surgery in a country that speaks a foreign language. My fear is being in pain and not being able to communicate that, but I do realize that most of the nurses speak English.

When I first came on this site and someone said I should consider a surgeon in "MX" I thought it was a typo and they meant Maryland or Mississippi as S and D are close to X on the keys. When I realized they really meant MX as in Mexico, I thought they were NUTS. But I did thorough research and these surgeons are trained as well as US surgeons -- perhaps even more so as this is all they do day after day.

Everyone speaks English except the phlebotomist and the housekeeper. There is a sheet of translations but I never needed it.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

@-Flo- I can't speak from personal experience about Mexico, but over the years I've seen many people go to this hospital for a DS, first with Dr. Ungson and more recently with Dr. Esquerra, and nothing but positive reports about the surgeons, the hospital, and how everything was organized. Their business depends on patients from North America and they have the whole system worked out. Let us know how the phone call goes. Some people take a support person with them, others have gone by themselves, and things seem to work out for all.

Welcome @-Flo-
Honestly Greenbaum's self pay still is the best rate. Boyce is 25K and his is the low end of average. I recently heard Sudan was quoting 30K. But Esquerra at Mexicali is a great option. Several members have had him and love him.
Dr K is, $18 I believe for open and $26k lap

Latest posts

Back