Vomiting help?

Manapan

I'm three weeks out of surgery and I've just started on purees. I want to try to get my protein in through food now because the shakes have been making me nauseated. I'm suddenly lactose intolerant and Lactaid only goes so far. I seriously can't handle the idea of another sweet food/drink right now.

Pureed chicken with spices stayed well earlier today. Tonight I had an egg scrambled with some parmesan cheese, topped with a bit of spreadable cheese and pesto sauce. I think I either ate too fast or too much though? It came up about ten minutes later.

How do you log the foods you vomit? Any tips to get and keep the protein in at this stage would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It probably wasn't the type of food, but rather that you either ate too fast or too much or both. The signals of being full are new and different. It's a learning process. You'll learn to stop when you get the signal and not eat even one bite more, and it will make all the difference.

Thanks! I think I had gotten used to how much I could get down with liquids and was surprised how a way smaller portion of puree fits. TMI, but I was like "Am I ever going to be able to eat with a bra on again? The pressure from the band is too much!"

I think tomorrow I'll try just a few bites at a time but eat more frequently. It's hard to remember to eat now.

I'm 9 1/2 years out and still have issues. Most of time when I'm full, I sneeze or my nose runs. Tonight I had one of my rare alternative signals, an urge to vomit. Obviously, I prefer to sneeze, but I don't have any choice. The first few months are like a huge trial and error gauntlet that has to be run. It really does get better.

Best wishes.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear it takes others a while to figure out as well.

I was looking at some meal plans for the puree stage. Seeing how much food they were recommending at a meal and thinking I should be able to eat that much too, was a bit stressful. It's been much easier today taking things very slowly.

I'm about 7 weeks out and still find food coming back up. It's totally random too. Sometimes a food will stay down just fine and another day it will just not stay down. It's more like regurgitating than vomiting but it's still kinda gross. Still need protien drinks to get my protein in.

I definitely need protein shakes to get 90+ grams daily, but they just won't stay down recently.

The doctor I went to gave nutritional guidelines that say no beef or pork for four months, so I hope I either start liking poultry, fish, and eggs a lot more or that those shakes decide to play nicely.

The doctor I went to gave nutritional guidelines that say no beef or pork for four months, so I hope I either start liking poultry, fish, and eggs a lot more or that those shakes decide to play nicely.
THAT is nuts. While you do need to wait til you can get it to stay down, once you get that under control, any soft meat of any type is perfect. A tender cooked steak well chewed is perfect.

THAT is nuts. While you do need to wait til you can get it to stay down, once you get that under control, any soft meat of any type is perfect. A tender cooked steak well chewed is perfect.
Oh thank goodness! This kind of thing is why I'm here. That and the vitamin knowledge. The practice is somehow affiliated with a bariatric vitamin and supplement company and so they push that brand really hard. I seriously wouldn't know to be taking anything other than four chewables a day without y'all.

Latest posts

Back