Vitamin D

newanatomy

The following articles appeared in the Natural Grocers newsletter. I found them interesting so, I thought I would share them.

Vitamin D, Your Best Defense Through Cold And Flu Season?

Upper respiratory viral infections -- including the flu and common cold -- usually start making their dreaded rounds in the winter, when vitamin D levels in the general population are significantly lower. A study conducted through the fall and winter of 2009-2010 including 195 healthy adults found that those participants with vitamin D levels less than 38 ng/mL were twice a s likely to develop an acute viral respiratory tract infection. Further, only one participant with optimal vitamin D levels (>38 ng/mL) caught the flu and recovered in two days, while six of those with vitamin D levels below 38 ng/mL caught the flu and endured symptoms for nine days. Of the participants who were able to maintain optimal vitamin D levels (>38 ng/mL), most were taking a vitamin D supplement.

Reference: Sabetta J, DePetrillo P, Cipriani R, et. al. "Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and the Incidence of Acute Viral Respiratory Tract Infections in Healty Adults," PLoS One. 2010 Jun 14,5(6):e1088

Common Medications Can Interfere with Healthy Vitamin D Levels

Are you a regular user of antacids? Ever been on a corticosteroid treatment for inflammation? Or what about calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure? These are among a number of common drugs that can block or interfere with vitamin D production and absorption. If you are currently taking, or have taken in the past, any of these medications, it is especially important to have your vitamin D levels checked and supplement if necessary.

Corticosteroids
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, including statins
Weight-loss medications
Antacids
Calcium channel blockers

Sorry no reference information was printed for this article.

The last time my labs came back my vitamin D was 8. I have been taking Vitamin D 5,000 u 2X day since then. I ordered from Vitalady what I thought was Vitamin D but received D3 50,000 ui. Will this address my levels? The instructions state 1 pill weekly. I am pre- op and just wondering if anyone can advise me (I know you're not medical professionals) but you are very knowledgeable! Thanks!

@Barbara the three months before I had my DS, I took the dry D3 50,000 EVERY day. Before I started that, my D was about 20 which WAS just below normal AT THAT TIME. When I had the pre-op blood work just before surgery, and after three months of dry D3 50K daily, I was ONLY up to a 45.

Latest posts

Back