Very low potassium

LynneV

I went to my PCP the other day because I was feeling faint and was afraid I would pass out.
He had blood drawn and contacted me with the results the next day.

I'm not anemic, my thyroid function was perfect (I take thyroid and have for years), my kidney function was normal, no sign of dehydration and my liver enzymes were normal.

However my potassium was 3.0 which is low. He gave me a prescription for potassium 600mg twice a day.
I was dizzy today so he wants me to come in for another test.

My question is am I doing something wrong to cause this?
I'm eating 90 of protein and obviously a drinking enough water, is there another supplement I should take?

I went to my PCP the other day because I was feeling faint and was afraid I would pass out.
He had blood drawn and contacted me with the results the next day.

I'm not anemic, my thyroid function was perfect (I take thyroid and have for years), my kidney function was normal, no sign of dehydration and my liver enzymes were normal.

However my potassium was 3.0 which is low. He gave me a prescription for potassium 600mg twice a day.
I was dizzy today so he wants me to come in for another test.

My question is am I doing something wrong to cause this?
I'm eating 90 of protein and obviously a drinking enough water, is there another supplement I should take?

I do not have the answer for you, but this would be a great question for Dr. K. I have seen many people WLS post that they have low potassium. It is something that does concern me because with previous weight loss I did have very low potassium and had to take potassium supplements.

I do not know the relationships of DS or other WLS to low potassium, but some high BP meds (diuretics), regular use of laxatives (such as Miralax and others) or a lot of problems with diarrhea can result in low potassium. I am including more high potassium foods in my diet to hopefully avoid potassium deficiency (coconut water, avocado, fish, spinach, etc.). Are you drinking protein drinks? I make sure to drink a protein drink that includes potassium and I mix it with coconut water (also high in potassium). Also, check to make sure your multi-vit/min potassium (chewable ones do not include potassium).

Let me know if you find out more on the specific causes.

That's certainly distressing! Good luck finding the cause and the right treatment. Are you in one of the super-hot areas of the country? I don't know how anyone maintains electrolyte balance when it is 120 degrees!

Are you living on protein supplements? The supplements have no electrolytes at all. If this is the case you need to be adding all the salts to your diet.

He checked my potassium again after I started taking 2 a day and it was 3.4 which is near normal
so he suggested I take 3 a day.

I am unable to eat a lot of the foods that have potassium. Loved avocado and can't have it anymore
spinach gives me problems but I do try to get it down. I had my first banana the other day and it was only mildly
irritating. I keep trying stuff to see what works in any given week.
I do use one protein drink a day, it has 72mg potassium in it, my multi does not.
I will start looking for a new one.

I see Dr K at the end of July. I was going in to see him because of feeling crappy but canceled when I found the potassium
problem.

Latest posts

Back