Vanilla Chai

OldBroad

Ingredients:

6 oz. brewed black tea
2 oz. whole milk
1 scoop Unjury Vanilla protein powder
cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves (to taste)*

Get the tea and milk to <140F. I make a pot of tea every morning and warm up a cup in the microwave whenever I want some, so I've got that down to a science. If you have hot fresh tea, you'll want to add the milk cold to cool the tea down. Put the powder and spices into a cup and pour the tea and milk mixture over it and mix well.

*I pre-mixed 1/4 tsp of cinnamon with a pinch each of nutmeg and cloves and put a pinch of that mixture into each cup. You may want to try different proportions or other spices (cardamom, allspice etc.)

Good idea! Does the protein dissolve or is it lumpy? And does it smell bad?

I keep trying to make myself LIKE protein powder but so far it's a battle. And I can eat enough with no problem but I keep threatening myself with shakes only to lose weight!

I know, I know - Whey Protein Isolate is king. But does anyone know exactly how much less of Whey Protein Concentrate gets absorbed? I seem to remember that being the reason (along with easiness on the tummy) that WPI is preferred? I've found some Protein Coffee that I've been using to get me started in the morning that is MUCH more tolerable for me than any WPI I've tried, but I don't have to worry about protein absorption to anywhere near the same level you DS folks do. This is an Aussie brand I believe, but I'm sure you US folks have a version over there too (you have way more selection in general than we do here!). I use the sugar free version, obviously. http://www.scitecnutrition.com/en/products/scitec_nutrition/proteins/protein_coffee I mix mine with 1 tbsp. sugar free torani syrup (chocolate) and add 20g of whipped cream from the aerosol can. Love it. Stats for the way I make it are: 203 calories, 5g carbs, 8g fat, 28g protein, 0g fiber, 3g sugar.

I know, I know - Whey Protein Isolate is king. But does anyone know exactly how much less of Whey Protein Concentrate gets absorbed? I seem to remember that being the reason (along with easiness on the tummy) that WPI is preferred? I've found some Protein Coffee that I've been using to get me started in the morning that is MUCH more tolerable for me than any WPI I've tried, but I don't have to worry about protein absorption to anywhere near the same level you DS folks do.
My thought on protein supplements.

While WPI is best, the best one FOR YOU is 1) one you can afford, 2) One you can tolerate. If a blend or concentrate fits that bill better...go for it.

I read a great tip on another WLS board to buy the Unjury plain protein and mix a spoonful of the plain protein powder into food throughout the day to boost total protein for the day. By the end of the day you should have used 1 scoop of the plain protein which equals an additional 21 gm of protein.

My thought on protein supplements.

While WPI is best, the best one FOR YOU is 1) one you can afford, 2) One you can tolerate. If a blend or concentrate fits that bill better...go for it.

That makes me feel better! :) It's great. I've been getting my protein bare minimum from food (at LEAST 60 but usually more like 70-80g per day), but starting my day this way makes it SO much easier for me to keep my protein/carb ratio the way I like it. Yesterday was a 97g protein/27g carbs day for me. Loving it. I am having my family (who is visiting in December) bring me some Syntrax Nectar samples. You can buy the full size tubs here but can't get sample sizes anywhere and I didn't want to waste another $60 on protein powder I was going to hate, heh. :)

Good idea! Does the protein dissolve or is it lumpy? And does it smell bad?

I keep trying to make myself LIKE protein powder but so far it's a battle. And I can eat enough with no problem but I keep threatening myself with shakes only to lose weight!

As long as the milk/tea mixture is below 140F, the protein mixes in pretty smoothly. It only gets lumpy if you get it too hot. Then it will coagulate and/or precipitate from the mixture. And I hear you on the protein powder dislike. I'm trying all kinds of ways to hide it in foods and drinks. Slipping a tablespoon of plain Isopure or Unjury into a bowl of soup (after checking the temperature, of course) is a favorite of mine now that the cold weather is here.

I've been abstaining from my beloved chai tea (and all tea) for about 8 or 9 years due to the oxalate in tea, as I have a long history with calcium / oxalate kidney stones and was told (by nephrologist) to give it a rest with tea and several other beloved foods. Sigh.

Finally, about 2 months ago my kidney doc finally said there has been no indication that eliminating oxlalates from the diet lowers the incidence of these stones, so no need to abstain from them any longer.

I have consumed enough chia protein lattes in the last 2 months to more than make up for the last 9 years. One of my favorites.

Your recipe differs slightly from mine which has a little bite that I think I want to diminish, so I may try yours to mix it up a little.

I have tried this with different types of teas, and it really is delicious. Thank you for posting this - I just can't seem to tolerate cold shakes when it's cold outside but I'm doing really well with hot drinks and this definitely is now my go-to protein drink.

Latest posts

Back