Upper GI Series today - sleeve looks like a full balloon

OrganicLife

Went for my upper GI series test today. The radiology doctor performed the test. I was watching it on the screen as that nasty white liquid traveled. I said is that my stomach, he said yes. I was shocked. It looked like a fully inflated balloon. Nothing like a sleeve, certainly wasn't a small size either. Sent the CD to Dr. K. I am patiently waiting to hear what Dr. K will recommend what will be done to me to fix me.

I will be very curious to see what Dr. K says about your sleeve. Making a sleeve involves multiple firings of the stapler so they aren't exactly sleeve shaped even when done perfectly. But you wouldn't be the first person here who had a sleeve with too much fundus, or where the lower part of the stomach didn't seem to get done at all, and if the sleeve is all you have to promote weight loss and it's not a good sleeve...well, that's not going to work.

For your reference, here's a picture of my sleeve before revision. There was way too much fundus. The revision fixed that.

Attachments

• IMG_20150918_152603_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_20150918_152603_Fotor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
I will be very curious to see what Dr. K says about your sleeve. Making a sleeve involves multiple firings of the stapler so they aren't exactly sleeve shaped even when done perfectly. But you wouldn't be the first person here who had a sleeve with too much fundus, or where the lower part of the stomach didn't seem to get done at all, and if the sleeve is all you have to promote weight loss and it's not a good sleeve...well, that's not going to work.

I not only have a sleeve that looks like a balloon. but I have the bi-partition going on and I saw it on the screen. I hope Dr. K can fix me and give me a DS.

I not only have a sleeve that looks like a balloon. but I have the bi-partition going on and I saw it on the screen. I hope Dr. K can fix me and give me a DS.

Sounds like you had the same thing I did. It was easily fixed by Dr. Belzberg with two firings of the stapler. He then over-sewed it. It's not a resleeve. He just stapled inside the old staple line and removed the excess fundus (with the old staples attached). I've had no problems with my stomach. Dr. Belzberg was then able to proceed with the DS.

I can send you my surgical report if you'd like to see it.

Try not to worry. I suspect you'll be OK.

Last edited:
For your reference, here's a picture of my sleeve before revision. There was way too much fundus. The revision fixed that.
Am I looking at that correctly? Is there a baloon shaped upper section the some segway tissue that isn't showing white leading to what looks like a sleeve on the bottom? So almost two stomachs?

Am I looking at that correctly? Is there a baloon shaped upper section the some segway tissue that isn't showing white leading to what looks like a sleeve on the bottom? So almost two stomachs?

Unlike a cow, I only have one stomach. :D It's just the angle or the contrast liquid wasn't going through the middle section when the x-ray was taken. You can vaguely see the middle portion and, of course, the huge fundus up top -- looks like a fetus head.

Unlike a cow, I only have one stomach. :D It's just the angle or the contrast liquid wasn't going through the middle section when the x-ray was taken. You can vaguely see the middle portion and, of course, the huge fundus up top -- looks like a fetus head.
Lol cow stomach boy...we can take you to the county fair! :p

Yeah it was that little section with no contrast that was confusing, but I see what you are talking about. Mighty impressive fundus sir! :D

Good news!!! Dr. K can fix my insides. He received the second CD today from my upper GI. First CD was missing the GI part of the film. I was right, I do not have a full sleeve and it's not draining as a bipartition should be draining. The fluid sits in the stomach and filled up the stomach. If there was a second drain, the fluid would have drained immediately. The surgery will have to be done open, which I knew, but he wanted to confirm that with me. He said he would undo whatever was done, and give me a full DS. I told him I am ready, whenever he is. He asked me if I have gained all my weight back. I said, I am very close to it. There hasn't been any restriction since a few months after the surgery. Never got to goal.

SO...... I am not a failure!! I'm so happy, I have tears of joy! I am waiting for possible surgery dates. Hopefully, I will be back by thanksgiving. Finally. I will be fixed and on my way to a normal healthy life.

Such good news! You knew something was wrong, and now it's been confirmed. And it can be fixed!
Let us know when you have a surgery date so we can all wish you well.

Latest posts

Back