Update: One week post-op

Innervision

Hi all, just checking in. I was cleared today at my 1 week post-op appt to move to purée foods. I came home from the appt and made a soft scrambled egg in butter (I'm learning). It was delicious! I could only eat a little because I am being super cautious with my little sling blade (my sister said I was sound asleep in the hospital and woke up and said "My stomach is shaped like a banana" and fell asleep again. Processing it all I guess). My weight was about the same today as my surgery date. The PA was surprised I got the DS as I guess I am considered a lightweight (244#). I told her I fought for it and we reviewed the surgery report together (standard DS 125cm common channel). I've been very tired this past week but overall things are going great.

Good morning all, it appears that overnight I have developed a very itchy abdominal rash. It is concentrated on the sides of my abdomen but has moved to cover the whole thing. The itching is so intense I can't sleep. Any ideas?

Good morning all, it appears that overnight I have developed a very itchy abdominal rash. It is concentrated on the sides of my abdomen but has moved to cover the whole thing. The itching is so intense I can't sleep. Any ideas?

Your itching can be due to pain killers (like if you had Morphine in the hospital) and/or oxycode-type meds in or after the hospital. The itch with these types of drugs is real and it gets worse as it's leaving your system. Hydrate like crazy to help alleviate it and if you are taking any pain meds, you may want to try to stop them.

Also, anesthesia wreaks havoc on a body. I am not sure whether itchiness is a symptom related to anesthesia, but I would not be surprised if it is.

Call your surgeon and see if taking a benadryl is an option.

If you were 2 months or more out, taking a benadryl would not be a question. But as early out as you are right now, call first.

It sounds like an allergic reaction to...something. I agree with @southernlady to call the surgeon and make sure Benadryl would be ok at this point, or if there is something else he would recommend.

I had something very similar, but on my arms from where they had attempted to stick me with an IV. My surgeon recommended topical Benadryl ointment. The off brand, specifically, because it's the same exact thing but a few bucks cheaper. Check in with your surgeon to make sure, but hopefully relief is just a quick trip to Walgreens away :)

Latest posts

Back