Update on Proteinsnob (long)

Not too long at all! And you absolutely should post about what's going on with you so you can continue to get guidance and support for your issues. You should never question or feel guilty posting the difficulties you deal with. This wasn't a virgin surgery, it was a revision; and in either case, people really do need to be aware of all the possibilities to make the most informed decision they can for themselves. I had a terrible time after my first surgery (RNY, complications, 6 week hospitalization, nothing by mouth, TPN, second surgery, infection, wound vac), and I was in one of the best hospitals in the country, best doctor, medical care. It can happen. As I always say, important to know the good, the bad, the ok, and the ugly. It's generous of you to share your story, you will never know how many people you help that don't post. And I just hope for you brighter, healthier days ahead where the time comes this is behind you.

I am new and pre-op so I don't even know your whole story but even just THIS much is enough to give me pre-op shudders. I have been reading your posts but I had no idea you have been having such a rough time of it. :( I am so glad you are feeling a bit better and are on the road to full recovery. I wish I had more to add than just good wishes. I identify with you (we are both busy moms, nearly same weight and age, etc) and really hope you just steadily improve until this is all just a distant memory:hug:.
I'm sorry if I caused you any worry, 4K. I have 3 kids (1 of whom counts as 5, I swear) and maybe it's a good time to say that I think it is good to have contingency plans in case there are complications. That helps focus any worry into something productive.

I was very glad that I had written down all of our account information, payment due dates, and passwords for my DH before leaving. My DH had no clue about much of that and I was in the ICU at a hospital in another state for about 2 months. He also knew my wishes and we had discussed and made decisions about things like feeding tubes and brain death.

I was not able to speak due to being intubated for some time and he would have had a huge hassle on his hands trying to keep things running. I had a list of people he could call if anything went wrong. People that I knew would help, because I had helped them in the past or we were close enough in friendship (DHs don't always know which friends we trust the most, especially when it comes to our kids). Sure enough, everyone showed up to help him- especially from church. I am so grateful for that. I was too weak to post on the internet or talk on the phone.

Smart to have made such contingency plans, ProteinSnob! Along those same lines, one thing I did for my DH that I would recommend to pre-ops was to reach out to *his* best friend and ask that his friend call and check up on him the day after my surgery so that in the case something went wrong with me, *he* would have someone there to support him.

Proteinsnob...So sorry you have had to go through so much! But I am so glad to hear that your wound is healed and you are feeling better. I'm sure the rest of your issues ...like your hair problems and swollen stomach will continue to get better and better! Pretty soon you will be as good as new. Thanks for being so open and sharing your story!

And, PS, I am glad you shared your story too! I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, if I accidentally did. I think the pre-op shudders are actually a healthy thing to have now and then. We all need to treat the surgery with the respect it deserves, before, during and after the procedure. Again, I wish there was more I could do to help you, but I will send lots of prayers your way. <<hugs>>

Never sounded like that to me either (personally), proteinsnob went through a horrible, shudder-worthy ordeal. Complications can happen and it's good for people to know all the ramifications. And I think contingency plans smart thinking too; I was single/no dependents both surgeries, and I had everything in order - a will, power of attorney, DNR instructions, all beyond what the hospital had me sign. I also had a contact list with my friends, family, specifying who was who, who my emergency contacts were, who could/would speak for me. When I was in the hospital for 6 weeks during my first surgery with all the problems, it was really handy to have, relieved me of a lot.

Ugh, I'm sorry this is such an ordeal. It will get better. You said they have you on probiotics, but they are a ymmv thing with any brand. I take one to help prevent kidney stones, but I know that it is actually prescribed for ulcerative colitis. One thing that it COMPLETELY eliminated for me was any evening bloat as well. Maybe it's what you are on, but if not, ask your doc about vsl#3DS (it must have the DS if it is the prescription strength, and is half as strong if you just get the OTC one). If you are on a different one, I'd just add this to it. The more strains you get of probiotics, the better. I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

Well I was reacting to my protein shakes due to the lactose in the whey. I then realised I was also reacting to the lactose in my calcium tablets......yup my Vitalady Cal Mag D3 makes me swell up like a puffer fish. I take smaller doses spread throughout the day and it minimises my symptoms.

The haemmohroids are literally a pain in the arse. I can empathise with all of your symptom set as in a lesser form I have it too. All I can say is the severity gets much less over time. I have no issues living with the side effects of my surgery now. Push on through. You're getting there.

Latest posts

Back