Update on Proteinsnob (long)

ProteinSnob

I'm almost 6 months out from revision.

I still have home health here nearly every day, but things are better. I am managing to eat solid food 3 times a day now. Still have that damn PICC line in, but hopefully no TPN is in my future. My gigantic wound is finally closed, and I'm putting glycerin on it daily. I'm supposed to see a plastic surgeon next, but...nah, no thanks to any more elective surgery. My husband doesn't care and I'm over 40 (who wants to see my crazy stomach anyway).

Around Christmas I had to go to the ER and was diagnosed with colitis there after they ran some tests. I completed all of the antibiotics and then started heavy probiotics (400 billion). Right now every morning is starting early with about an hour of abdominal cramping and a lot of bleeding after evacuation. Stools are loose but not watery. Very painful. My abdomen is very distended, but I'm not sure if that is the colitis or I still have swelling from my pretty huge wound (which has all finally closed). Who knows. It looks like I am 6 months pregnant (thankfully, for the sake of any child, that is not possible)

I have been stuck between 167-169 for many, many weeks now. I am not sure if I will lose any more. I have an appointment with my GI doc (who specializes in working with bariatric patients) and I am dreading any suggestion of steroids. I am pretty short/petite (deep under there), and was really hoping to lose a little more than this.

I am able to walk around a lot more and try to push myself a little more every day. I'm not vacuuming or anything stupid like that, but I am trying to take back my busy, busy life little by little. People used to cry when they saw me because I was so frail and white. Now I finally have a little color back and get to hug everyone.

So... I have bald spots, a big stomach, and am still having a rough recovery, but I'm alive! Any suggestions or thoughts about colitis or things I should talk over with the GI doc?

Last edited:
I have nothing to offer other than support. I am so very sorry you have had and continue to have such an abysmally horrible recovery! I so hope that you get feeling better soon!

I'm truly glad to be alive, @newanatomy . I made it! I try not to whine too often here, but I don't want to miss out on any good advice about my situation. I'm planning to post my latest labs once I have them and to run my vitamin regimen plans by the vets also. I'm still not taking all of the Vitalady prepacks (which I HATE, btw. Don't get the prepacks!) and am unsure how to add them back in without problems?

Preops beware. I have no problem busting on you if you go into surgery unhealthy by choice and with blinders on. If things go south, and BELIEVE ME THEY CAN, you will need all of your good health to fall back on in order to survive. I was extremely healthy before surgery and a lightweight.

I am glad you are posting. I hope you can get some help getting the answers you need.

I did not get the prepacks however, I did buy liquids and powders for a few supplements. The liquid ate my stomach pre-op so, I am not even going to try them post-op. I have no trouble swallowing pills even just a couple of days out. What I can't stomach for a while are any powers that have to be mixed in almost 8 ounces of water, which is how I bought my calcium citrate and magnesium citrate, brilliant, NOT. Gag-o-matic! I am going to buy them in pill form at Sam's club on Sunday. I need to get out of the house for a little while this weekend.

I am only taking my multi at this point. I tried others, ouch. I will wait a week then add.

Big hug ProteinSnob :hug:. So sorry that your recovery is so rough. I am wondering if the enlarged abdomen might be a sign of ascites. How are your protein levels?

Why do you hate the prepacks?
I'm truly glad to be alive, @newanatomy . I made it! I try not to whine too often here, but I don't want to miss out on any good advice about my situation. I'm planning to post my latest labs once I have them and to run my vitamin regimen plans by the vets also. I'm still not taking all of the Vitalady prepacks (which I HATE, btw. Don't get the prepacks!) and am unsure how to add them back in without problems?

Preops beware. I have no problem busting on you if you go into surgery unhealthy by choice and with blinders on. If things go south, and BELIEVE ME THEY CAN, you will need all of your good health to fall back on in order to survive. I was extremely healthy before surgery and a lightweight.

Why do you hate the prepacks?
For relatively new post ops like myself, they are frustrating. I'm having to add in vitamins slowly because I first had issues with constipation (to the point where I got impacted) and now with colitis. Vets feel free to jump in if you have suggestions. My goal is improvement for my current situation, so I have been taking everything very slowly.

I wish I had bought the vitamin sorter and the separate bottles. Would have made things a lot easier. Now I have a ton of loose pills in numerous open blister packs. It's also hard to tell what everything is, especially if you are a busy mom like me who just wants to get into a routine of taking care of herself well.

I'm just about out of the prepacks anyway. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably time to order the meds organizer and the individual bottles and just start all over trying to figure out the vitamin routine.

Hang on to the vits as they're all described with the color and you can use them when you start bundling your own. I didn't start on them until I was 4 weeks out.

Have you tried Miralax? I have to take that.

BTW Tender iron gives me cramps if I have 3, so I have what my PCP prescribes me plus 1 Tender iron.

For relatively new post ops like myself, they are frustrating. I'm having to add in vitamins slowly because I first had issues with constipation (to the point where I got impacted) and now with colitis. Vets feel free to jump in if you have suggestions. My goal is improvement for my current situation, so I have been taking everything very slowly.

I wish I had bought the vitamin sorter and the separate bottles. Would have made things a lot easier. Now I have a ton of loose pills in numerous open blister packs. It's also hard to tell what everything is, especially if you are a busy mom like me who just wants to get into a routine of taking care of herself well.

I'm almost 6 months out from revision.

I still have home health here nearly every day, but things are better. I am managing to eat solid food 3 times a day now. Still have that damn PICC line in, but hopefully no TPN is in my future. My gigantic wound is finally closed, and I'm putting glycerin on it daily. I'm supposed to see a plastic surgeon next, but...nah, no thanks to any more elective surgery. My husband doesn't care and I'm over 40 (who wants to see my crazy stomach anyway).

Around Christmas I had to go to the ER and was diagnosed with colitis there after they ran some tests. I completed all of the antibiotics and then started heavy probiotics (400 billion). Right now every morning is starting early with about an hour of abdominal cramping and a lot of bleeding after evacuation. Stools are loose but not watery. Very painful. My abdomen is very distended, but I'm not sure if that is the colitis or I still have swelling from my pretty huge wound (which has all finally closed). Who knows. It looks like I am 6 months pregnant (thankfully, for the sake of any child, that is not possible)

I have been stuck between 167-169 for many, many weeks now. I am not sure if I will lose any more. I have an appointment with my GI doc (who specializes in working with bariatric patients) and I am dreading any suggestion of steroids. I am pretty short/petite (deep under there), and was really hoping to lose a little more than this.

I am able to walk around a lot more and try to push myself a little more every day. I'm not vacuuming or anything stupid like that, but I am trying to take back my busy, busy life little by little. People used to cry when they saw me because I was so frail and white. Now I finally have a little color back and get to hug everyone.

So... I have bald spots, a big stomach, and am still having a rough recovery, but I'm alive! Any suggestions or thoughts about colitis or things I should talk over with the GI doc?
I am weird. I get the swollen belly issue when eating the wrong things and also with taking "the right things." IOW...many probiotics that cure problems for others cause me gas and a very distended belly. I mean VERY. It took me a while, but I finally figured that I was eating right and the ONLY thing I was doing differently was taking the VSL #3 probiotics that my GI doc and many others said CURE those problems. I stopped the probiotics and got immediate relief.

I'm not saying my approach is right way to go, but it really worked for me.

I'll reintroduce probiotics slowly. Sooner or later.

I wish I had some help for you but I got nothing. but I am also glad you are alive and feel like you get to rant about things all you want!

big internet hugs!!

and, here's a hot beverage: :57:

Snob- I'm so happy to see you updating and that you have some improvements to announce. Every victory is a big deal after all you've been through. I can only imagine it's a huge relief to have your wound closed finally after all this time. I don't really have anything valuable to offer, just that the wrong probiotics gave me horrid painful bloating and frequent urgent trips to the potty back a few years ago, but the "right" one didn't. I imagine what's right and wrong are different for everybody. Sending you major hugs!!!

Proteinsnob,

I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time. I'm hoping this will all be just a memory for you soon. Wishing you full recovery, good health and an amazing vacation down the road when you are through all of this!

I am new and pre-op so I don't even know your whole story but even just THIS much is enough to give me pre-op shudders. I have been reading your posts but I had no idea you have been having such a rough time of it. :( I am so glad you are feeling a bit better and are on the road to full recovery. I wish I had more to add than just good wishes. I identify with you (we are both busy moms, nearly same weight and age, etc) and really hope you just steadily improve until this is all just a distant memory:hug:.
While we all need to know that what happened to PS can happen to any of us and be aware...there are many of us without any complications.

Latest posts

Back