Update... is this all normal?

Megange1

So I'm about 3 weeks out of surgery. Can't lie, it's been hard. Probably more mentally hard, than physically. I was resleeved and switched, so I had an open surgery where my gallbladder and appendix were taken out at the same time. Honestly, I'm shocked at how much that actually incision and surgery sites have not hurt that bad.

I think the toughest part is trying to get my liquids in daily and just plain missing eating big meals. I'm also feeling frustrated because every day is different and there isn't a linear path towards recovery. I'm having a lot of heartburn and nausea and I'm taking pills for both that kind of help. It is just hard because one day I can drink cold water, and then poof an hour later it makes me throw up. Then I try warm liquids and I'm okay, but then the next day they make me throw up. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, I hate waking up in the morning because I'm super nauseous. Bottom line I'm getting in my liquids, but man it's a full time job.

On a happier note, I've lost 32lbs. I feel happy about that, but not as happy as I feel I should. It doesn't feel real. Last time I had the VSG I felt like my brain never caught up with my weight loss and I never felt skinnier. So, this time my doctor suggested taking a before picture in a swimsuit and putting it somewhere I have to see it daily, and then adding a new picture every 2 weeks-month to it. It is to force your brain to acknowledge changes. It's funny, I did it, but still couldn't see it. So, my husband sat with me for 10 min and pointed out every area he saw changes and made me aknowledge them. He's a good guy. I think overall, I'm feeling a tad depressed. If I could just get a handle on my nausea, I feel like I'd be happy.

Is all this normal? I'm just feeling emotional I guess. So much of life and friendships revolve around eating, I'm kind of feeling like a hermit and that I'm missing out on events with friends. My birthday was yesterday and I felt like I couldn't do anything. No cake, no celebratory drink, no fancy meal. Oh well. Sorry! Pity party table of one :)

so, that's my update. Doing okay, but still a ways to go!

I'm having a lot of heartburn and nausea and I'm taking pills for both that kind of help.
You may need a stronger heartburn med or a different one.

Nausea, is common in about 50% or so of the patients. Not everyone has it but many do. Depression is also normal. Both need addressing with your surgeon.

It DOES sound like you have and exceptional hubby!

In addition to the obvious intestine changes, your body is going through lots of metabolic and hormonal changes that didn't happen with your original sleeve. It takes time for your systems and your brain to adjust to all this.
Get treatment for depression if you need it. There are lots of good drugs for depression these days (just make sure no one prescribes something that interferes with weight loss or causes weight gain, as some antidepressants do).
And yeah, this year's birthday was lousy, but just think about how much skinnier you will be at your next birthday, and how much better you will feel. Recovery is tough, it will get better.

I really relate to yor recovery. I'm 53 days post op, and I have had a really rough recovery. I was sick as hell the first month. Honestly, I still battle nausea all the time. I had the hardest time keeping things down. Miso soup(just the broth) helped get me through when I couldn't keep anything else down.
I was so salty after surgery. I expected to have one or two of the common postop issues, but it seemed like I suffered all of them. Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, body rejected protein drinks, soft food felt like kitty litter in my throat, I developed acid reflux and heartburn for the first time in my life.... It was awful. @Spiky Bugger told me that for the first 3 months, she was sure that she had made the worst mistake of her life, but then it got gradually better. That helped me so damn much, because if that tough ass lady felt that way, then it was okay for me to feel that way, too. I know everyone says "It'll get better", and you don't want to hear it, you just want it to BE better. Keep pushing through, listen to that gem of a husband, and one day you'll realize that you aren't struggling as bad as you were last week/last month.
You've got this.

Last edited:
I really relate to yor recovery. I'm 53 days post op, and I have had a really rough recovery. I was sick as hell the first month. Honestly, I still battle nausea all the time. I had the hardest time keeping things down. Miso soup(just the broth) helped get me through when I couldn't keep anything else down.
I was so salty after surgery. I expected to have one or two of the common postop issues, but it seemed like I suffered all of them. Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, body rejected protein drinks, soft food felt like kitty litter in my throat, I developed acid reflux and heartburn for the first time in my life.... It was awful. @Spiky Bugger told me that for the first 3 months, she was sure that she had made the worst mistake of her life, but then it got gradually better. That helped me so damn much, because if that tough ass lady felt that way, then it was okay for me to feel that way, too. I know everyone says "It'll get better", and you don't want to hear it, you just want it to BE better. Keep pushing through, listen to that gem of a husband, and one day you'll realize that you aren't struggling as bad as you were last week/last month.
You've got this.

I really needed to hear the 3 month statement in your post. I am 6 weeks out. I have questioned myself quite a few times over the last couple weeks, and this statement gives me hope. I have a couple really great days, and then I get all gassy, irritable, etc. I can tolerate taco meat cheese and sour cream one day and next week can't, my decent BMs (although always soft) are only every few days, but it's not really constipation. I don't feel like I empty out, I guess. I just feel like I am taking 3 steps forward and 2 back. I am losing, I can tell by my size (I am trying to stay off the scale for two weeks during PMS and wait for my MD appt next monday) I am impatient and always have been a second guesser. This is the hard work I guess. I take bone up calcium, I am still doing the last of the bariatric advantage multi chewable, Vit d 50000 4 days a week, a probiotic, and iron with vitamin c. Its all feeling like a guessing game with the what to try next to feel better :) I am going to get a couple pics posted on my mirror too!

Soft (think soft serve ice cream) is DS normal but every few days isn't typical.
I appreciate your help. The last couple were just like self serve. I am almost certain it is related to PMS/my period right now. I had this problem preop and always took senna and solace at that time. I am taking the colace, but don't dare use the senna. I guess I can go with some MOM a couple times- because today I am incredibly bloated and don't want to eat. Such a juggling act! I try to increase fats but they just don't set well and I can't get much in. Shrimp scampi (7 shrimp) and I am stuffed. I also have been walking a lot. It should make more sense to me Grrr. As you said before, my guts are just really pissy! Thanks agin.

It's a huge life change if your pleasurable moments have revolved around restaurants and family food functions. I certainly mourned the ability to go to a restaurant and have an appetizer as well as an entree. I can't. Even at a great restaurant, sometimes all I have is an appetizer. You have a toddler's tummy with an adult's appetite. It will never be that I don't really want some decadent food or to have a night off of DS and eat and drink like others do. It is that I know I can't have it without feeling ill. As for Shrimp scampi, tonight I had four large shrimp and I am stuffed--and this is at 12 years out. People contemplating the DS have to understand it is not a free ride, you don't come out eating everything you want in all the quantities you want. If you eat too much or the wrong things, you will experience "DS discipline"-- diarrhea, foul gas, and abdominal discomfort. I eat a lot less, but I eat more often. It was a big life change for me to separate what I needed from what I wanted. Still a challenge.

Like Diana, I order things that I can eat later or for my next meal. I am sometimes tempted by things that don't reheat well, but then my cheapness takes over. I have been known to get four DS meals out of one at a restaurant even if those meals are two or three hours after the first.

Latest posts

Back