Upcoming DS....can't lose weight :(

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
My DS is scheduled 01/22/14. I'm supposed to be on a low calorie, low fat pre-op diet. I am struggling with food. I'm always hungry. I ate some oatmeal, made with water. Was still hungry. Had a 300 calories Healthy Choice frozen meal. Was still hungry! Last night I had stuffed crust pizza. And on top of that, a cup of code red mountain dew. I just can't seem to get a handle on my eating.

I'm so ashamed and feel so guilty, but I keep on shoving that unhealthy crap down my pie hole. WTF?? I'm not even a binge eater or emotional eater really, I just eat cause it's tasty. I feel like I'm addicted to food and just can't stop eating stuff that's bad for me. I should have more self-control than this and I feel like an idiot for letting food "beat me".

Anyone have any tips? Anything? I have to lose at least like 10lbs or they'll know I didn't do the diet. I don't want them to postpone surgery.

I think we all know how hard it is or we wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place. I struggled the same way with the pre op diet, I had to stay under 1,000 calories a day and do mostly liquids (protein shakes, soup, ff yogurt, fruits and veggies blended into juice) with a "lean and green" dinner, but I was out of control so often. I felt, literally, crazy. I was angry all the time, constant stomach growling, obsessing over food. One day I attacked a pack of Oreo Klondike bars that were in the freezer like a lunatic. I ate almost the whole box. Just take solace in the knowledge that those feelings will likely be wayyy less after surgery! For some people they're gone, not me, but way way less than ever before.

Thank you...it's good to know that there are others that have felt this way and that I'm not just a super-failure at this. I hate this, you know? All these feelings of embarrassment, guilt, weakness, all centered around food. It just seems so stupid.

Thank you...it's good to know that there are others that have felt this way and that I'm not just a super-failure at this. I hate this, you know? All these feelings of embarrassment, guilt, weakness, all centered around food. It just seems so stupid.
And, ya know, all those feelings did for me was make me eat more. You can't change the past, try not to dwell on it, and do the best you can. I really did find the fruit/veg smoothies filling and tasty and wish I could eat a big salad or bowl of fruit now! Boy how things have changed ;)

Hah. I'm going to have some baked chicken and green beans for dinner. I will, however, mix some sriracha sauce into those green beans. Going to *try* to get back on the wagon here.

I was supposed to be on a similar diet pre-op. Like you, I really struggled with it. I had the mindset that I needed to eat all the yummy stuff I loved while I still could and that is what I would use to justify eating bad things. My surgeon did not require that I lose weight, but I had to maintain my weight within 3 pounds. So I had to avoid weight gain, which I was able to do. But I did not lose very much at all. It was so, so very hard for me.

But the good news is, those STRONG feelings of hunger and the urge to eat certain foods will more than likely get a lot better after surgery. Before surgery, from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep, I was in a constant battle with myself to not eat. My brain told me 24/7 (and totally not even exaggerating at all) that I needed to eat! But since surgery, those feelings are gone. I am hungry when my stomach tells me I am hungry, instead of my brain constantly screaming at me. Sure, I still have the occasional craving for a not so ideal food, but NOTHING like it was pre-op. Not even close.

You are not a failure. You are fighting the most basic of human instincts.

Therein lies the key word: YOU. MUST. FIGHT. This will not go on forever. It is for a limited time. It will very likely be the LAST time you ever have to do this. Set your mind to the task at hand and, as ranchers and cowboys like to say, "Get 'er done." It's 19 days. Pull up your bootstraps and get your head into the game. Be very grateful you are not on a liquid fast, as so many have been tortured into doing.

Oh, I am grateful. I've said to myself probably 5 times in the past 2 days "Thank goodness I'm not on a liquid diet"....I couldn't. Liquids don't give me the "full" feeling. Too much liquid makes me nauseated. I don't know how people do it.
I'm making something called caramel chicken for dinner - not even close to DS friendly due to calling for 2/3rd cup of brown sugar. Low fat, yes, but packed with carbs. It's my bf's favorite food. I will have only a few bites of it at most with a few bites of jasmine rice. The biggest portion of my meal will be green beans.
But you're right, it's only temporary. Still...it's rough.

The only good thing is that I'm not a sweets addict. We have all kinds of christmas candy around the house, and I'm not really tempted by it. I can have one little piece and be satisfied and not eat more. Unfortunately, it's not that way with savory foods.
I just have to get a handle on this. I've gained like 5lbs since my initial weigh in of 350. I have to drop those 5lbs plus more or they may postpone surgery. That would be a nightmare.

Well, you CAN do this. Keep your eye on the prize. I was right there with you. I focused really hard for six weeks, dropped about 15 pounds, which was about all I could expect to move on a diet. But I did it and proved that I could comply with doctor's orders. That's a necessity to survive this surgery. Remember that. This is a test of sorts, and you're well up to the task. Make it a challenge and grab the bull by the horns. Channel your inner bitch and stick it out! *rah rah rah*

Hahaha, channel my inner bitch, huh?
I'm am putting sriracha in my green beans, though. 'Cause plain green beans are boring.

There ya go, bring on the heat AND the inner bitch! Hmm, where's my scary cheerleader outfit.... Must let down the hem to accommodate my floppy ass cheeks....

You're struggling now, but as EN and everyone else says, remember that this is TEMPORARY. You can do anything if just for a limited time. The DS is going to make a HUGE difference for you. Keep that in mind and fight your way through this.

Larra

Hang in there, it gets better- I bet if you just ween yourself off the soda that will help you lose a few and help you in recovery. I mourned pop, but felt so much better without it! Kick those and you will be all set for the time after surgery. I was such a freak 2.5 weeks out-- I cleaned my whole house like never before, so if you get the itch come on over. :) You can do this!

Latest posts

Back