Tummy Tuck Tips?

Marquis Mark

Hi All,

Will be having an extended TT this summer. I'd like to get advice from anyone who has gone before and I had a few questions:

1. Would renting an electrically-adjustable bed for a few post-op weeks be good? My bed is fairly low and not sure I would know how to get out of it without using some core muscles.

2. Has anyone used Embrace? How about Silicon tape? What is the best way to minimize scars?

3. Pain pump necessary?

4. Any other tips?

Insist on an On-Q* Infusion Pain Pump.

They implant these teeny little tubes that slowly drip a local anesthesia on the incision area, effectively numbing all the hurty places. They last, I think 3-4 days, and REALLY help.

The big problem is finding info online. Photos are more informative:

http://doctorfinders.com/onq.php

You shouldn't use the silicone strips till the incision is healed. Unless the doc has a different product you can use. The silicone comes in sheets, you cut it to fit and it's peel and stick. Only has to be changed once or twice a week. It is really sticky and doesn't come off in the shower.

(1) I ordered a couple of bespoke post-surgical compression garments to ensure the most comfortable fit possible - will try to remember the manufacturer (2) I used a folding step stool to get in and out of bed
(3) I ended up with DVT and PE that nearly killed me. These are real, possible complications - keep an eye out once you get home and don't disregard possible symptoms.

Best wishes!

I had a fleur de lis tummy tuck in January with hernia repair and abdominal muscle tightening. I came home 24 hours after my surgery. No special equipment and I was only on pain pills for 4 days and then tylenol during the day and pain pill before bed. Hubby took 2 days off from work.

I wore a compression garment all the time. It made me feel the most comfortable with the least pain.

I drove myself to my 1.5 week follow up.

It was not as bad as I expected it to be

Also, this is a good time to check to make sure you are not allergic to adhesives over a long-time. I'm good for a day. At two days, I notice an itch. By the third day, I'm red. After that, we move into an oozing wound.

If you have never had adhesives on your body for a lengthy period, it might be wise to slap a few on and see how you look a week from now. Seems my sister reacts the way I do, and I just this moment recalled that Mom was readmitted to the hospital about a week post-breast biopsy, for horrific, oozing, bright red skin wherever adhesive was.

And don't fall for the, "Oh! This is paper tape," bullshit. 'Cause it ain't paper adhesive.

Amen to what @Spiky Bugger mentioned. As someone who reacts to paper tape as bad as regular tape, it isn't fun to spend 2-3 WEEKS healing from a tape allergy. First one was my face since I was on my stomach for my spinal surgery. Warned them. My neurosurgeon ripped the anesthesiologist a new one for that mistake.

I like Kelo-cote. I've used it for my abdominal operations, stitches in my knee and for all of my orthopedic operations. It flattens the scars and lightens them considerably. I just finished a tube on my wrist (which was done in October 2016) and I'm pleased with the results.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used a recliner - and the good thing about that, is when you're healed, you have a recliner!

I own an 850' loft near downtown LA so a recliner can only visit, not stay + it would mess up my mid-century design motif! I'm mostly thinking about how much easier it would be on my stomach muscles if I could electrically elevate the bed backing and "slide off" a high bed, rather than trying to get out of my rather low platform bed. But maybe I'm over-thinking this and it won't be a big deal...

You shouldn't use the silicone strips till the incision is healed. Unless the doc has a different product you can use. The silicone comes in sheets, you cut it to fit and it's peel and stick. Only has to be changed once or twice a week. It is really sticky and doesn't come off in the shower.

Right. I've heard it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before they get applied. Maybe I should get a roll of that Mepitac tape on Amazon and see how I tolerate it. The Embrace tape costs $300. A lot of PSs recommend it but I'm not sure if that's because they get a cut or if they really believe it.

(1) I ordered a couple of bespoke post-surgical compression garments to ensure the most comfortable fit possible - will try to remember the manufacturer (2) I used a folding step stool to get in and out of bed
(3) I ended up with DVT and PE that nearly killed me. These are real, possible complications - keep an eye out once you get home and don't disregard possible symptoms.

Best wishes!

Trying to visualize how you used the folding step stool help you get out of bed... feel free to describe!

I had a fleur de lis tummy tuck in January with hernia repair and abdominal muscle tightening. I came home 24 hours after my surgery. No special equipment and I was only on pain pills for 4 days and then tylenol during the day and pain pill before bed. Hubby took 2 days off from work.

I wore a compression garment all the time. It made me feel the most comfortable with the least pain.

I drove myself to my 1.5 week follow up.

It was not as bad as I expected it to be

That's good to know. Glad it went well!

Also, this is a good time to check to make sure you are not allergic to adhesives over a long-time. I'm good for a day. At two days, I notice an itch. By the third day, I'm red. After that, we move into an oozing wound.

If you have never had adhesives on your body for a lengthy period, it might be wise to slap a few on and see how you look a week from now. Seems my sister reacts the way I do, and I just this moment recalled that Mom was readmitted to the hospital about a week post-breast biopsy, for horrific, oozing, bright red skin wherever adhesive was.

And don't fall for the, "Oh! This is paper tape," bullshit. 'Cause it ain't paper adhesive.

I'm allergic to tape over a long time. This stuff works wonders. Not sure how it plays with a wound, since I use it when I tape my foot.

https://www.amazon.com/Tape-Relief-Irritation-Maceration-Patients/dp/B00I00OFOE/ref=sr_1_2_a_it

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back