TSH? T3? T4? What do I ask for and why?

Marquis Mark

Hi,

They've assigned me a new bariatric care person at Kaiser. She seems OK giving me whatever labs I want AS LONG AS I HAVE AN EXPLANATION for why I want them.

For her sake (and for my own edification) what thyroid tests exactly should I ask for and what reasons would a DSer have for each?

Anyone?

Because you never know when your thyroid will head south. Mine did, completely out of the blue in 2007, no notice.

Also if any of your family members have thyroid problems, the chances go up that you will too...esp if it's an autoimmune issue. Dh's grandmother had a goiter. He does too. His oldest daughter has type 1 diabetes (goiter and type 1 diabetes are autoimmune diseases).

Because you never know when your thyroid will head south. Mine did, completely out of the blue in 2007, no notice.

Also if any of your family members have thyroid problems, the chances go up that you will too...esp if it's an autoimmune issue. Dh's grandmother had a goiter. He does too. His oldest daughter has type 1 diabetes (goiter and type 1 diabetes are autoimmune diseases).

But does having the DS increase the likelihood the that the Thyroid will go south? What symptoms can I complain about to justify her checking it? I've noticed the TSH creeping up (although it's still in a good range). But they've never tested the T3 or T4.

I've had thyriod issues for about 15 years. I had Graves disease. Manging this is easy with the DS. You just get blood work once a year and adjust our meds.

So, how is the tummy tuck going. I want one now!

I've had thyriod issues for about 15 years. I had Graves disease. Manging this is easy with the DS. You just get blood work once a year and adjust our meds.

So, how is the tummy tuck going. I want one now!

TT/hernia repair is July 17. I'll let you know!

Because many of us morbidly obese folks have metabolic disorders, including thyroid, and they can change over time.

But does having the DS increase the likelihood the that the Thyroid will go south? What symptoms can I complain about to justify her checking it? I've noticed the TSH creeping up (although it's still in a good range). But they've never tested the T3 or T4.

No, but vit/min deficiencies can cause thyroid to go out of whack. My thyroid numbers were out of range. Once I improved my zinc, folic acid, and Vit A they returned to normal.

No it doesn't but having a thyroid panel once a year is a wise move.

Latest posts

Back