Trying some Kefir

KathyF

I've been trying some milk kefir I bought at the store, but I'm not sure if I can continue drinking it as it seems to be giving me gas.

My son is getting interested in Kefir and he found a store in Sebastopol (north of San Francisco) called the Kefiry. They make non-dairy kefir. We went there today. I tried the lemon ginger ale, hibiscus maya, tumeric spice and a couple of others. I wanted to try the root beer and the chocolate, but they didn't have it available today. I liked the hibiscus the best and bought a jar of it. It is not very sweet, mildly effervescent and not as tart as the milk kefir. And, as far as I can tell, doesn't give me gas like the milk one. I will give it another try tomorrow.

http://www.thekefiry.com/

I just watched their video, very cool concept, uber crunchy, but very cool ;) I'd go there if I lived nearby, esp since I struggle to find drinks that don't have a bunch of sugar OR chemicals since surgery, now that plain water is unappealing to me. Plus I can't eat yogurt so I miss out on the natural probiotics, seems like a triple win to me :)

It might be the dairy that is giving you the gas. Glad you found one that doesn't seem to be dairy based.
I thought of that, but I eat yogurt and drink milk with no problem. Maybe a conflict between a particular strain of probiotic with what I have in my system already? Maybe I will find some kefir grains and try making my own and see if that makes a difference.

I LOVE kefir and make my own, milk-based. I let it work until it is almost like a greek yogurt. Straightens out my gut like no other.

Latest posts

Back