Trish477

Trish477

Hi, I'm new to this site but desperately need some feedback. I knew my hair loss would happen after the vsg but OMG it's coming out in chunks

Hi, I'm new to this site but desperately need some feedback. I knew my hair loss would happen after the vsg but OMG it's coming out in chunks. My labs taken 2 weeks ago, show high cholesterol which is crazy because because I barely eat enough for a bird. It has been over 8th and I still can't eat more than 2 bites. I still have vagus pressure on top of my esophageal valve, and now I'm really freaked out because, I'm worried my weight loss won't stop. I know this is a lot but I've been varying all this worry

Hair loss happens beginning about 4 months after major weight loss from any cause. There is nothing you can do about it. Some have this worse than others. It will begin to grow back almost immediately, but because you may continue to lose hair until your weight loss stabilizes, it will be frustrating. Just remember: it will stop and it will grow back.

I still struggle to eat dense protein just shy of 6 months post-op. (In the category of "it's not fair," I have no trouble eating evil carbs.) Protein sat like a brick until I puked it up. I tried dropping from 40mg of Prilosec to 20mg and it helped enormously with eating protein. For me, part of the problem was that the PPI left too little acid to digest protein to the consistency acceptable to my pylorus. Did you have vagus nerve damage during the surgery?

Cholesterol: don't know what to tell you about that. Mine was in the 300s and plummeted to 167 by 3 month labs. But I have the DS with fat malabsorption and you only have the VSG. "It has been over 8th" what does that mean?

Oh and welcome!

Welcome @Trish477. You'll find a wealth of quality information and genuine support here.

I'm 6 months out from DS and my hair is still falling out! I've literally lost more than 1/2 of my hair (and more than 1/2 of my boobs, but that's another story!) Both my surgeon and my hairdresser assure me that the hair loss is 'normal' due to both effects of anesthesia and protein malabsorption but, like you, I find it rather distressing. They say it could take a full year before it stops falling out and begins regrowing. Meanwhile, I'm wearing it short, using special biotin shampoo/conditioner, washing just 2X/week, taking oral biotin and silica, and making sure I get at least 120grams protein in daily (still doing 2 shakes/day). My 6 month labs are good. They assure me that it will come back and that I am doing all that can be done.

Not sure if that helps but at least you know you're not the only one. The upside it that it takes much less time to wash and blow-dry :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telogen_effluvium
Telogen effluvium is a scalp disorder characterized by the thinning or shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hair in the telogen phase (the resting phase of the hair follicle).[1][2] Emotional or physiological stress may result in an alteration of the normal hair cycle and cause the disorder, with potential etiologies including eating disorders, fever,childbirth, chronic illness, major surgery, anemia, severe emotional disorders, crash diets,hypothyroidism, and drugs.[1][3]

In other words, instead of the normal process of just random hair follicles stopping growing and then falling out (or being pushed out by the new hair that starts to grow after the telogen phase), a whole lot of your hair follicles goes into telogen phase at the same time. It is highly variable (I hardly lost any hair), but it almost always comes back.

And it happens 3-6 months after the trauma because the hair has to first stop growing, and then start growing again, which pushes out the old hair.

Hey Trish! Good to see you here. My hair didn't come out in chunks, but any time I ran my fingers through it, I ended up with a pile of long hair on the floor. Once I was eating better and my nutrition straightened out, the hair loss resolved and it all came back. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

My hair has come out Kojax Clean twice. I cried like a baby the first time. Then everyone gave me a reality check and said I'd rather be bald and alive rather than have hair down my back in the casket. So when it happened again I dug my wigs out and kept it moving.

Last edited:
Welcome @Trish477

The hair loss, while unnerving, is normal. Some don't lose as much as others. For most of us, it does come back. I've had 4 NON-WLS surgeries since my DS and mine still recovers each time. I did cut mine short to help. It started just below my shoulders, now it's a pixie cut.

And while most on here are DS'ers, we've got a few VSGers and some two stagers (VSG first, then onto the switch). I'm gonna tag some of them @JackieOnLine and @Jo777 and @more2adore are all VSGers, @DuodenalSwitchaRoo is a very successful 2 stager. They all understand your dietary needs.

Hi and welcome @Trish477 .

The weight loss will slow over team when your sleeve stretches, and while scary at 8 weeks out it is a good thing to be restricted and losing. It's a big adjustment. Hang in there!

Sorry for the hair loss. Mine was fairly mild and managed pretty well by getting a short cut. I wanted to mention that I've had a positive experience with wigs.com (for my mom who lost her hair for other reasons). Wigs / partials are a fun and good-looking option, though a bit pricey.

Hair loss happens beginning about 4 months after major weight loss from any cause. There is nothing you can do about it. Some have this worse than others. It will begin to grow back almost immediately, but because you may continue to lose hair until your weight loss stabilizes, it will be frustrating. Just remember: it will stop and it will grow back.

I still struggle to eat dense protein just shy of 6 months post-op. (In the category of "it's not fair," I have no trouble eating evil carbs.) Protein sat like a brick until I puked it up. I tried dropping from 40mg of Prilosec to 20mg and it helped enormously with eating protein. For me, part of the problem was that the PPI left too little acid to digest protein to the consistency acceptable to my pylorus. Did you have vagus nerve damage during the surgery?

Cholesterol: don't know what to tell you about that. Mine was in the 300s and plummeted to 167 by 3 month labs. But I have the DS with fat malabsorption and you only have the VSG. "It has been over 8th" what does that mean?

Oh and welcome!
typo, sorry, 8mths since my vsg surgery. Funny thing is my cholesterol was borderline Before the surgery. I think because I can only eat so little, that I choose total protein and protein shakes first. Then I'm constipated and now high cholesterol. I haven't figured out my balance yet...probiotics, muscle milk, protein shakes, 4 mini meals aday etc.... My husband had a DS, so I understand what your going thru. He thought because of my rare symptoms of not being able to swallow and get food down past the esophageal valve it seems like vagus nerve damage. But my dr. would not agree. My dr. continues to say that my electro and chemical functions are not sync up and will relearn proper systemic flow etc... I hear him, but I'm frustrated for sure. I have lost 87 lbs which averages about 11lbs a month. They say you stop losing weight at 1 year mark. If I still have 4 months to go and I'm losing 11 lbs a month, and I lose 44 more lbs, I will only weight 126lbs!!!! That is scary beyond scary. My husband think I should consider that procedure where they go back and stretch the stomach! People at work are constantly drilling me on my scary weight loss. I praying that my hairs grows back and the weight loss stops.

Don't freak out. The weight loss will slow. 11 lbs a month is not a concerning number to me. You will stop loosing weight and more than likely you will start to gain. I recommend getting down as low as you can, to allow room for the eventual regain. Have you seen your surgeon, has he expressed concern?

@Trish477 you won't lose that fast forever, honest. Enjoy it while it lasts. The stomach stretching procedure is for people who have a stricture that needs to be dilated, which isn't your situation. Your sleeve will stretch with time whether you want it to or not, though hopefully you will always have some degree of restriction.
btw my eating problems happened with totally normal labs. There was nothing to "sync up". Not saying your doctor is wrong as people can have the same problems for different reasons, and perhaps he's seen the same problem with other people, but either way I anticipate this will improve with time.

Your husband (robs477?) and I discussed your and my problem in PMs. It really sucks. I tried the peppermint for spastic esophageal motility disorder -- did nothing. Tried hot tea and wine -- no help. I just came back from lunch with a friend where I ate 1-1/2 bites of fish that locked up in my stomach. (The difference nearly 6 mos out on a half dose of PPI is that I am not vomiting or needing to cause myself to vomit. Instead I just sit around miserable for an hour or two.) Again, I only have a problem with protein (meat, fish). I can usually drink and eat softs like greek yogurt, as well as hard foods like nuts, crackers and popcorn - y'know all the things we're not supposed to eat. Are you able to eat things besides dense protein?

I don't think I ever lost 11# a month -- I lose less than half that a month, and sometimes not even that. I don't know how tall you are but I am a hair under 5'5" and 125# will be a good weight for me. (I'm small boned and could probably weigh less than that.)

I don't take probiotics but I do take 2 Colace a day and suspect I would be constipated if I did not.

As for the cholesterol, perhaps its a lab error?

Latest posts

Back