Travelling after Surgery (cross-post, mostly)

I had my surgery in Brazil and flew home on day 9 or 10. I don't remember. I was 52 and had open surgery. The flight home with layovers was 19+ hours. I took Immodium prior to the trip home and did not have to use the restroom until I reached baggage pick up in my home airport. I probably would have made it home but I ate some crappy food on the way. I was starving and did not plan well. My daughter picked me up at the airport and drove me home (about 45 minutes)
I did have a binder. The trip was very uncomfortable and LONG. It would have been better if I could have afforded first-class but alas, I was too poor. LOL
I think I would opt for the flight like Kyal describes. :biggrin:

Melbourne to Adelaide is only scheduled as a 60 minute flight, in reality its about 50 minutes in the air and if you get good winds and a decent pilot if can be less. I did it dozens of times when I was working for Virgin. No sooner do they serve refreshments and your making your decent to land.

I did that same flight in reverse after my messed up, open sleeve with a big ass drainage bag and sepsis. I had a letter from the surgeon to explain my condition and that I was fit to fly. It was a Qantas flight and cost me a fortune compared to the flight I had originally booked because of the short notice booking. I can tell you I wouldn't have wanted to return home by road, it would have been torture. You would be mad to drive 8+ hours home immediately after surgery if you can do it in 50 minutes.

If you fly Virgin arrive at the airport earlier so you can rest and go through security which will take you all of 10 minutes. Check in at the counter, explain your situation and ask if they can seat you by a window with a seat next to you, you don't wanna have to keep moving if some one wants to get up mid flight. Virgin staff ALWAYS did this for me as a fatty if they had the seats available to. Never gave me any shit, never tried to charge me for an additional seat. Which was a good thing because I was reviewing them :)

What ever you do don't fly JetStar. Never have I had a JetStar flight run on time. Ever! You'll likely be sitting at the gate for a couple of hours waiting if you do.

Post op toilet issues should be manageable by restricting your intake, using some Imodium (if the narcotics don't plug you up first) and make sure you go before you board. Theres Loo's near the gates at both ends.[/lquote]

To start near the end: I was thinking of flying Jetstar. They have the cheapest seats by far. I can get a ticket for $49 if I book now! The flight time they give is 1h20. I was also taking waiting times into account. My last few flights were with Jetstar, so perhaps that's why it took so long! Didn't really think about it at the time. Hanging around airports (and anywhere else, for that matter) is murder on my back, but I will get a wheelchair from the front desk. I always need a wheelchair when I fly anyway. But, yes, all the feedback I've received has pretty much convinced me that flying is the way to go :). I will have a look at Virgin again, to see if they have any competitive deals.

With regard to seating on the plane - I thought the aisle seat would be the way to go, so I don't have to climb over people to get to the toilet. If things are reasonably under control, I guess that won't be necessary. I'm just terrified of having an accident on the plane! I think they have specific seats for people with wheelchairs, to make it easier for themselves. They've always put me near the front, and a couple of times I've been the only person in the row. I'll speak to them about it though, if it looks like being a problem.

What was the deal with reviewing them? Who/what was that for?

I had my surgery in Brazil and flew home on day 9 or 10. I don't remember. I was 52 and had open surgery. The flight home with layovers was 19+ hours. I took Immodium prior to the trip home and did not have to use the restroom until I reached baggage pick up in my home airport. I probably would have made it home but I ate some crappy food on the way. I was starving and did not plan well. My daughter picked me up at the airport and drove me home (about 45 minutes)
I did have a binder. The trip was very uncomfortable and LONG. It would have been better if I could have afforded first-class but alas, I was too poor. LOL
I think I would opt for the flight like Kyal describes. :biggrin:
Wow! A 19 hour trip after open surgery! You must have been very worried about how that would go! Because of my Fibromyalgia I struggle with long trips at the best of times. Between the pain and discomfort I find it hard to get into a movie or book , so don't have that as a distraction/relief from boredom, and sleeping is pretty much out of the question! It must have been a bit like that for you after the surgery. And yes, I'm sure First Class would be better, but yeah...I'm not quite in that league. More like the other end of the financial scale, unfortunately. Being on a Disability Support Pension does that to you, sadly! Lol

I was thinking about getting a binder, but I don't know if I could handle it. I hate having anything tight around my stomach. It tends to make me feel quite nauseous.

No, her surgery was done in Oz. Also the shortest CC I have ever seen, 40cm. I went to Spain when my sister and H had surgery and that was a long trip home! But we stayed for three weeks post. Had a bit of a vacation!
I meant to ask you re the other DSer you know in Adelaide: do you know who her surgeon was and how long ago she had it done? I'm very curious to know what other surgeons here do the DS.

Wow! A 19 hour trip after open surgery! You must have been very worried about how that would go! Because of my Fibromyalgia I struggle with long trips at the best of times. Between the pain and discomfort I find it hard to get into a movie or book , so don't have that as a distraction/relief from boredom, and sleeping is pretty much out of the question! It must have been a bit like that for you after the surgery. And yes, I'm sure First Class would be better, but yeah...I'm not quite in that league. More like the other end of the financial scale, unfortunately. Being on a Disability Support Pension does that to you, sadly! Lol

I was thinking about getting a binder, but I don't know if I could handle it. I hate having anything tight around my stomach. It tends to make me feel quite nauseous.

The binder wasn't really tight, like a pair of tight jeans, more like firm hold. I hate tight things also, but the binder was different. I wore that sucker for 3 months as I was told it makes the scar smaller and helps prevent hernias. My scar is thin and I might have a hernia now, 8 years later. I just liked the secure feeling, without it I felt like my guts were falling out. Plenty of people go without them, so whatever you choose.

I meant to ask you re the other DSer you know in Adelaide: do you know who her surgeon was and how long ago she had it done? I'm very curious to know what other surgeons here do the DS.
I know there is an Oz DS group out there somewhere. Take a look for them. Her name is Anne Baker. If you find her please let me know because we have lost touch!

That is a really long way to travel by car after surgery! Everyone has already given good suggestions, so I've nothing to add. As far as bathroom issues, I was pretty stopped up from the pain meds for about 10 days after surgery. Everyone is different, and if you're staying in the hospital 10 days...well, who can say? We never know what our bodies will do in the beginning! Good luck on your upcoming surgery - hope it's an uneventful recovery!

Dh had his surgery in NYC...we could have gone home about 2 days after he got out but had assumed a week and couldn't move the reservations we had...but glad we DID get out when we did as a major snowstorm shut it down 2 days after we left and headed home. Travel distance from our house to the hospital was 738 miles IF we had driven the entire thing.

What we did was drive over to my daddy's and get on Amtrak (Southern Crescent route) and ride to NYC and back. We snagged a handicap room on the way back...was a blessing in space, ease, etc cause dh could go to the bathroom any time, we were able to keep him hydrated and he could lay down when he wanted.

Latest posts

Back