Travelling after Surgery (cross-post, mostly)

Parousia

I hope that someone here can help me:

I will be having my DS surgery in Melbourne, which is about 800 km from Adelaide, where I live (about 500 miles). It will be an open DS, along with an incisional hernia repair, and I will be in hospital for at least 10 days according to my surgeon. I would love some feedback as to the best way to travel home afterwards, especially from those who had open surgery and then had to travel. My husband will be driving to Melbourne with our toddler. I will probably either be flying or going by train. The train trip would take 12 hours. My main concern with driving relates to the bumpiness of the road. I imagine that would be a problem after the surgery. Would pressing a pillow against my abdomen help with that? I am also concerned about toilet issues with all these forms of transport, and if there is any way to plan for that, and if one would be better than another in that regard. I'm not sure whether 10 days is enough time for things to have settled down after surgery. We could stay in Melbourne past the 10 days as well if that would help. I have a friend there who is happy to put us up. I wouldn't want to do it for too long, though.

Wow, that's a lot of traveling! Since I'm pre-op I can't really offer much advice, other than what my Dr advised me with for my journey...if driving, make frequent stops to get out and walk, and keep hydrated. Emphasis on that for you, since it's summer! We want to make sure we don't sit too long because of blood clots forming/circulation. I'm opting to fly for that reason, and since we'll be crossing some remote areas and mountain passes in winter, I just didn't want to risk the weather, bathroom issues, time driving, etc. Hopefully some more seasoned vets will add their experience to help you make the right decision. :)

I wish you well, Parousia!

I had an open surgery and then a couple of subsequent surgeries. Traveled by plane in order to get home fast for the same reason above, risk of blood clots. Those of us with open incisions in the abdomen, I was told, have a slightly higher risk of those. Make sure you walk around every two hours like they recommend.

The narcotics that will probably be prescribed to you slow things down, so perhaps that will make you feel better about bathroom issues. I had 7-8 hours of travel time (connecting flights) and I was fine. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

I know another DSer in Adelaide.

Wow 10 days in the hospital! You are going to be ready to get out of there! My DS was open and I was out and about driving at 10 days. I would suggest you ask for a binder. That will work better than a pillow. As long as you can move about, you should be fine. The flight would be probably easiest and my second choice would be the car.

At 10 days out you will know if you are ready to leave the area. If not, stay with your friend a couple days and then make the trip home. Coping with the toddler may be the hardest part of the trip! Remember no lifting!

I only had a three hour ride to get home, and I hugged my belly pillow and took plenty of pain meds to make it livable. It was not torture, just uncomfortable. I might feel differently about a 500-mile trip, though!

Odd man out here...maybe. Although it may be different in Oz. There is no way in Downtown Hell I would subject myself to TSA, tarmac delays and shared plane restrooms shortly post-op.

The "bowel problems" that DSers have can be most prevalent in the first days post op. I would not even consider it.

On US trains, you can get a handicapped-accessible room, or a family room, each with its own restroom...if you can afford it. There are also lower level coach seats on the same level as a row of restrooms...you don't have to negotiate stairs to get there.

My trip TO surgery was under three hours, via automobile. My trip HOME was over five hours, because I just kept having to stop to make sure I used a toilet when one was available. And, you know...disposable undies for such a venture wouldn't hurt. And I did have an abdominal binder.

Good luck choosing,

Sue

I had an open surgery and then a couple of subsequent surgeries. Traveled by plane in order to get home fast for the same reason above, risk of blood clots. Those of us with open incisions in the abdomen, I was told, have a slightly higher risk of those. Make sure you walk around every two hours like they recommend.

The narcotics that will probably be prescribed to you slow things down, so perhaps that will make you feel better about bathroom issues. I had 7-8 hours of travel time (connecting flights) and I was fine. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.
Good point about the narcotics, thank you :). Whenever I have been in hospital in the past, I've ended up really constipated, which is usually an issue for the week after leaving too. I presume it's due to the pain meds. This time they are going to use an epidural post-surgery for pain relief, because I have chronic pain problems which leave me fairly immobile, and they don't want those issues to prevent me from moving around post-surgery. But I'm sure they will get me onto Endone before I leave, and hopefully that will help both for pain relief and toilet issues while travelling home. Thank you for your good wishes :).

I know another DSer in Adelaide.

Wow 10 days in the hospital! You are going to be ready to get out of there! My DS was open and I was out and about driving at 10 days. I would suggest you ask for a binder. That will work better than a pillow. As long as you can move about, you should be fine. The flight would be probably easiest and my second choice would be the car.

At 10 days out you will know if you are ready to leave the area. If not, stay with your friend a couple days and then make the trip home. Coping with the toddler may be the hardest part of the trip! Remember no lifting!

I'm surprised you know another DSer in Adelaide! Did she/he have it done before coming here?

Good suggestion re the binder. I'll have to look into that. Not sure if that's something you get after the surgery, or if I would have to organise one beforehand.

From what I've read, we do seem to be kept in hospital for longer after surgery here in Australia than you are in the US. That said, my surgeon usually says to expect 7 days in hospital after open surgery to recover. I think he told me ten days because my surgery is apparently going to be very complex as I have had a number of abdominal surgeries in the past. He said he's setting aside the whole day for my surgery! Hopefully it won't take that long, but I guess he just doesn't know what he's going to find when he opens me up (apart from the usual, lol).

Last edited:
Odd man out here...maybe. Although it may be different in Oz. There is no way in Downtown Hell I would subject myself to TSA, tarmac delays and shared plane restrooms shortly post-op.

The "bowel problems" that DSers have can be most prevalent in the first days post op. I would not even consider it.

On US trains, you can get a handicapped-accessible room, or a family room, each with its own restroom...if you can afford it. There are also lower level coach seats on the same level as a row of restrooms...you don't have to negotiate stairs to get there.

My trip TO surgery was under three hours, via automobile. My trip HOME was over five hours, because I just kept having to stop to make sure I used a toilet when one was available. And, you know...disposable undies for such a venture wouldn't hurt. And I did have an abdominal binder.

Good luck choosing,

Sue
It's not nearly as bad here as it seems to be with the TSA there, particularly on national flights. But yes, having to get to the loo in a plane in a hurry would not be ideal, particularly if they were all occupied at the time. Having an 'accident' on a plane would be beyond embarrassing! Unfortunately, the train between Adelaide and Melbourne doesn't appear to have sleeper cabins anymore. It did when I last went on it several years ago. But maybe it would be possible to get a seat near the toilets, at least? I'm afraid it's highly unlikely I could get a private toilet. I will enquire about the options though. Thank you for your suggestions :).

I travelled for surgery. About a 4 hour drive. Getting there was not a problem. However upon release Dr. K suggested we cut the trip into 2 days. so we did. I had tons of pillows waged in around me and we stopped every hour at a rest stop so I could pump myself full of water and protein (on a feeding tube). I also made sure I was good and medicated. Of course the roads were good and I think that is key.
Good luck
Whit

I went through TSA with a wound vac, drains, and several IV bottles. I simply asked for a private screening. One look at the surgical wounds and they could not have been nicer. It was actually quite a bit easier to get through the airport with my own personal wheelchair than getting through the airport on the way TO surgery. ;)

Last edited:
I'm surprised you know another DSer in Adelaide! Did she/he have it done before coming here?

Good suggestion re the binder. I'll have to look into that. Not sure if that's something you get after the surgery, or if I would have to organise one beforehand.

From what I've read, we do seem to be kept in hospital for longer after surgery here in Australia than you are in the US. That said, my surgeon usually says to expect 7 days in hospital after open surgery to recover. I think he told me ten days because my surgery is apparently going to be very complex as I have had a number of abdominal surgeries in the past. He said he's setting aside the whole day for my surgery! Hopefully it won't take that long, but I guess he just doesn't know what he's going to find when he opens me up (apart from the usual, lol).
No, her surgery was done in Oz. Also the shortest CC I have ever seen, 40cm. I went to Spain when my sister and H had surgery and that was a long trip home! But we stayed for three weeks post. Had a bit of a vacation!

Good point about the narcotics, thank you :). Whenever I have been in hospital in the past, I've ended up really constipated, which is usually an issue for the week after leaving too. I presume it's due to the pain meds. This time they are going to use an epidural post-surgery for pain relief, because I have chronic pain problems which leave me fairly immobile, and they don't want those issues to prevent me from moving around post-surgery. But I'm sure they will get me onto Endone before I leave, and hopefully that will help both for pain relief and toilet issues while travelling home. Thank you for your good wishes :).
Epidural pain meds are a gift from heaven! I got them for my hystie and they were marvelous.

Melbourne to Adelaide is only scheduled as a 60 minute flight, in reality its about 50 minutes in the air and if you get good winds and a decent pilot if can be less. I did it dozens of times when I was working for Virgin. No sooner do they serve refreshments and your making your decent to land.

I did that same flight in reverse after my messed up, open sleeve with a big ass drainage bag and sepsis. I had a letter from the surgeon to explain my condition and that I was fit to fly. It was a Qantas flight and cost me a fortune compared to the flight I had originally booked because of the short notice booking. I can tell you I wouldn't have wanted to return home by road, it would have been torture. You would be mad to drive 8+ hours home immediately after surgery if you can do it in 50 minutes.

If you fly Virgin arrive at the airport earlier so you can rest and go through security which will take you all of 10 minutes. Check in at the counter, explain your situation and ask if they can seat you by a window with a seat next to you, you don't wanna have to keep moving if some one wants to get up mid flight. Virgin staff ALWAYS did this for me as a fatty if they had the seats available to. Never gave me any shit, never tried to charge me for an additional seat. Which was a good thing because I was reviewing them :)

What ever you do don't fly JetStar. Never have I had a JetStar flight run on time. Ever! You'll likely be sitting at the gate for a couple of hours waiting if you do.

Post op toilet issues should be manageable by restricting your intake, using some Imodium (if the narcotics don't plug you up first) and make sure you go before you board. Theres Loo's near the gates at both ends.

Latest posts

Back