This is non-bariatic-surgery medical...I has a fat.

Spiky Bugger

Most likely a lipoma, just maybe an egg-size glump of fat hiding at the inside of my leg at my left knee. Once in a great while, it hurts. Once in a great while, it's warm. Once in a great while, it impacts range of motion. All the time, when I stretch out on my left side and my right leg is on top of my left, that stupid little egg is in the way.

A few months ago, ortho said he couldn't see anything. Last week, PCP said she thought it was a lipoma and I should return to my ortho. I did today. THIS TIME, he could feel it. He will excise the thing next Tuesday.

That will be four days after the gas passer shoots marcaine and depomedrol into my SI joint. I am fun to watch.

@Larra Do not laugh at me.

Worst news...procedure is 3 pm and they want me NPO 8 hours prior. Maybe I should stay up late, eat breakfast at 6 and sleep all day!

Last edited:
I will laugh if I so desire! Well actually, I'm glad that's all it is and that someone is doing something about it, even if the time of day doesn't work well for you. And actually, I didn't laugh until you told me not to.

No need for a medical excuse to stay up late, eat breakfast at 6 and sleep all day. ;) Best wishes!

I feel your pain, in more ways than one - I had a relatively minor eye procedure a few weeks ago (excision of a Salzmann's nodule on my cornea that was not in my field of vision, but over my iris and getting bigger), which was scheduled for 3 PM which meant 4 PM, and I had to be NPO for 5 min of propofol. It SUCKED. It was an hour away - but one good thing was that the surgicenter provided a car service to pick me up and drop me off. The driver even stopped at MickyD's for me on the way home.

I have had a lipoma - now the size of a goose egg - on my right flank right at the waist for years. When I get my hernia fixed and abdominoplasty, it will finally be removed. It bugs me when I wear a belt, but otherwise, it just slightly concerns me that it's slowly getting bigger.

"That will be four days after the gas passer shoots marcaine and depomedrol into my SI joint."
Can you get a twofer out of this lipoma surgery, and get your SI injection while you're unconscious? I'd ask.

I feel your pain, in more ways than one - I had a relatively minor eye procedure a few weeks ago (excision of a Salzmann's nodule on my cornea that was not in my field of vision, but over my iris and getting bigger), which was scheduled for 3 PM which meant 4 PM, and I had to be NPO for 5 min of propofol. It SUCKED. It was an hour away - but one good thing was that the surgicenter provided a car service to pick me up and drop me off. The driver even stopped at MickyD's for me on the way home.

I have had a lipoma - now the size of a goose egg - on my right flank right at the waist for years. When I get my hernia fixed and abdominoplasty, it will finally be removed. It bugs me when I wear a belt, but otherwise, it just slightly concerns me that it's slowly getting bigger.

"That will be four days after the gas passer shoots marcaine and depomedrol into my SI joint."
Can you get a twofer out of this lipoma surgery, and get your SI injection while you're unconscious? I'd ask.

Part 1--My mom's hernia got ignored by her PCP..."it's nothing." THEN, she was elderly and the skin was thin and low rate of success. But it kept growing, and she developed dementia, so REALLY not a good candidate for surgery and that big damned thing was in the way, every day, every time she had to pee or shower or change her clothes which, btw, didn't fit because the waist had to be too big to allow for enough room in the lower abdomen area for the stupid hernia.

So I want my little egg out so that I don't need to go to Avenue "extended sizes" because the lump gets so big that I ned clothes four sizes too big just for the stupid lipoma.

Part 2--Butt is at an outpatient surgery place 36 miles from the knee procedure place at the acute care hospital.

"Butt is at an outpatient surgery place 36 miles from the knee procedure place at the acute care hospital."

Well, yeah, but both are being done by an orthopod with an anesthesiologist present, rights? Can they make a deal?

"Butt is at an outpatient surgery place 36 miles from the knee procedure place at the acute care hospital."

Well, yeah, but both are being done by an orthopod with an anesthesiologist present, rights? Can they make a deal?

No..the SI is being done with a local, under fluoroscopy, by an anesthesiologist/pain mgmt guy. The knee is an ortho, under a general...probably propofol again. I think the positioning would be an issue.

Where do they give you a local for an SI joint injection?? I can't imagine that it would numb the joint enough ... ugh. Knock me out please.

Where do they give you a local for an SI joint injection?? I can't imagine that it would numb the joint enough ... ugh. Knock me out please.

It's a three-parter. Part One is an inuection into the tissue "on top of" the joint, just to numb the tissue. Part Two is diagnostic. They first inject the marcaine, which numbs the SI area. If the pain resolves right away, they know that the SI joint is indeed the problem. If it doesn't resolve, it's probably time to keep seeking the cause of pain. If it does resolve, Part Three is treatment, with a corticosteroid. It is one injection into the joint, though.

I'm pretty sure that they need me awake for the dx part and by the time that's done...the needle is already in there.

@Spiky Bugger, I second Diana's recommendation and shudder with her at the thought of SI. Just in case an you ask the knee folks with the good drugs for a "while you're in there" and see if they'd be willing to flip you over and do the SI too? Anyway, sorry you are going through this. Yikes!

@Spiky Bugger, I second Diana's recommendation and shudder with her at the thought of SI. Just in case an you ask the knee folks with the good drugs for a "while you're in there" and see if they'd be willing to flip you over and do the SI too? Anyway, sorry you are going through this. Yikes!

Ortho doesn't do SI Joint injections...but even if he did...I asked...he'd do that under a local and then I'd get the propofol. The pain cessation, after the injection, is how they tell they have the right spot and where to put the steroid. Afew places do it under a general, but they are guessing at the cause and the "cure" is a crap shoot.

Latest posts

Back