The role of K1 and K2

What about Osteocalcin as a K2 test? According to Dr. K's blog:

"Vitamin K2 controls osteocalcin, which is a calcium regulating protein. Osteocalcin binds to the mineral portion of the bone..."
It might give you an idea but other things also affect that particular test...so how do you nail down just one part of it?

My K1 levels are always well out of range but my PTT and INR are tested before surgery and although the are at the top end, they always come back in range.

The K2 stuff I really have no idea if it is doing anything. I kind of feel the same way about the Magnesium bisglycinate that I take. The stuff is nearly $20 a bottle of 100 and I take 5 a day. I am debating dropping it because I really don't know what it is doing for me.

I know how you feel Scott. I'm battling for my bones, so I'm willing to spend the bucks. What I'm looking for is a reversal of osteoporosis on my bone density. I have been partially successful, but I think I can do more. I recently switched to Magnesium bisglycinate and now I am hot on Vit K2. This is long term experimentation. MDs don't have a clue about this stuff. We are the cutting edge. Other than people like us, the only population that I see facing these issues are seniors. In my opinion, MDs should be monitoring seniors for all the labs that we do. Instead they tell them to drink Boost and send them on their way. At 62, I feel like I am ahead of the game by knowing my numbers and adjusting accordingly.

I know how you feel Scott. I'm battling for my bones, so I'm willing to spend the bucks. What I'm looking for is a reversal of osteoporosis on my bone density. I have been partially successful, but I think I can do more. I recently switched to Magnesium bisglycinate and now I am hot on Vit K2. This is long term experimentation. MDs don't have a clue about this stuff. We are the cutting edge. Other than people like us, the only population that I see facing these issues are seniors. In my opinion, MDs should be monitoring seniors for all the labs that we do. Instead they tell them to drink Boost and send them on their way. At 62, I feel like I am ahead of the game by knowing my numbers and adjusting accordingly.
No doubt sweet heart. I need to get a Dexa Scan if nothing else for a baseline. I am just confused what K2 and Magnesium Bisglycinate really for us but Dr advocates both for bone health so I will continue.

I'm now looking for a Vit K1 supplement greater than 1000 mcg. I'm taking four of these with no visible lab test result. It would be nice to find a high dose source.

There's a prescription form of K1, mephyton, phytonadione, that is 5 mg. I don't know if it is the dry formulation that we need. It is very expensive, I see quotes from $65 to more than $300. There's an injectable form too.

It might be worth it to just take several capsules of the OTC formulations, as you are, but maybe your insurance covers it. When I don't have a change in lab results, I switch brands.

My K1 levels are always well out of range but my PTT and INR are tested before surgery and although the are at the top end, they always come back in range.

The K2 stuff I really have no idea if it is doing anything. I kind of feel the same way about the Magnesium bisglycinate that I take. The stuff is nearly $20 a bottle of 100 and I take 5 a day. I am debating dropping it because I really don't know what it is doing for me.

A little off the topic of K1 and K2, but Scott I noticed you take 5 caps of Mag./day. I know there is some sort of ratio Ca to Mag we should be taking. I'm just sure what it is. I am taking 2 caps/day of Mag bisglycinate 200mg. After switching to bisglycinate my Mag levels shot to the top of the range. I'm now taking 3,000 mg of ca/day. So 400mg mag/3,000mg ca....not even a 1:3 ratio. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back