The longer you have type 2 diabetes, the worse off you are

Larra

https://www.medpagetoday.com/endocrinology/diabetes/71330

I posted this not because it wasn't something we couldn't figure out ourselves, but because so many of us put off having bariatric surgery in the forlorn hope that we can fix this problem ourselves if we just try one more time, or because we still feel ok and are still functional, or because we aren't really sick yet, whatever. The reality is that damage is being done every day. Our bodies have reserves that keep us going until they don't. Meanwhile, our organs and joints are suffering, we just don't appreciate it...yet.
So, to anyone who is on the fence, still young enough to live a reasonably normal life but MO and with your comorbidities either under control or not yet apparent, I hope you will take seriously the damage being done and get whatever help you need before the damage is irreparable.

True!!! Type 2 is the cause of most adult blindness and amputations after accidents! I don't understand why they don't immediately schedule patients for surgery after diagnosis. But maybe it's because diabetes is big business!

Munchkin there are so many people with type 2 diabetes anymore that we can't operate our way out of it - even if surgery were accepted in this country, which it isn't, yet. I hope for that to change, but even when it does, there will surely be criteria for it to be considered medically necessary, just as there are criteria for bariatric surgery for MO. For example, I would guess that people newly diagnosed would be put on meds in an effort to achieve good control, which does minimize later complications, and also that people already too damaged would be considered too far gone to benefit from surgery. Who knows. These are just guesses. And of course, just as with MO, many people will opt not to have surgery, for all sorts of reasons. But I agree with you that the "switch" part of the DS would be very beneficial for a lot of people, and that they would be better off having it sooner rather than later.

For example, I would guess that people newly diagnosed would be put on meds in an effort to achieve good control, which does minimize later complications, and also that people already too damaged would be considered too far gone to benefit from surgery.
I'm glad that the powers that be didn't think I was too far gone.
One thing I did learn LONG ago was not to fear insulin. There is a yahoo group (it started on Lehigh back when reading lists were popular) for diabetes and most folks there are educated enough to know that insulin is not to be feared but embraced. Fewest amount of side effects compared to most oral meds. But it was that list that gave me the knowledge to go on insulin when I did even tho my PCP wanted to just toss more orals my way. It was that list that gave me the knowledge to ask for multiple daily injections (MDI) instead of a "one and done" cause MDI was far easier to adjust. BTW, my endo at the time was very impressed with my knowledge even tho it came from "online". The list still lives even tho yahoo is "killing" groups thru non support. Owned by an endocrinologist, many of the members have knowledge far beyond what is expected in a mailing group (kinda like here, :) )

But even doctors scare patients who are newly diagnosed by implying that insulin is the medicine of last resort, not a first line of attack. In fact my PCP at the time I asked to go on insulin said "if you go one it, you will never come off". Thanks to the DS, I did for 6 years.

I wish I had been able to have the switch part back in 1994 when I was first diagnosed. I would have saved myself so many issues.

southernlady I agree, and I would add that if someone is both MO and type 2 diabetic, that's a strong reason to have bariatric surgery asap even with no other medical problems. And also a strong reason for the DS since it has the best results for type 2 diabetes - not perfect, but better than anything else.

southernlady - why don’t you offer to host the diabetes group here?
I would but a forum solution was mentioned before and the group said no. They like the email lists. A majority of the group used listserv long before forums became a viable option. And that group finds change hard. Most are in their 70's now.

Latest posts

Back