The DS and Lent

Charris

Now an angel
Hey everyone I know lent has just started last week. About 2 months ago my church pastor called for a church wide fast. I bowed out and told them that I could not participate because I had to have meat and still had that darn feeding tube. I just started thinking about all the Catholics of the world and Im sure some of them have had the DS. If you dont care for protein drinks what creative receipes for protein do you use when your religion calls for no meat?

There are special dispensations for the young, old and ill. We are to sacrifice in remembrance, there are other ways to do that.

I am not an expert, I was raised Catholic but I no longer go to mass.

Edited to add: Of course, I love fish and am eating it quite a bit. I am eating salmon right now, that is what made me think of it! Oops, I had leftover Cornish Game Hen for lunch.

Last edited:
Do you mean no red meat on Fridays? That is how I learned it, and how my mom still practices it. Fish Fridays. Jack In the Box always brings back the fish tacos for Lent.

Yes I have an office full of Co workers doing different variations of it. One is doing no meat at all including fish for 40 days. The most of them are doing no red meat for 40 days. A couple are doing no red meat on Fridays only.

All the supermarkets and fast food places have lots of fish specials that "conveniently" came out in the past couple weeks for lent without saying so. I know Greek Orthodox people who fast from all meat, any fish that has blood, and dairy for the entire 40 days. I don't know the reason behind it, but that would be quite unwise for one of us. That basically leaves shellfish, nuts & tofu?

A few years ago, St. Patrick's day fell on a Friday during Lent, the then Pope issued a special dispensation so that we could have corned beef and cabbage.

The "no meat for 40 days" is pretty much outmoded, at least in the "Western" nations. Or so my theology professors (at a Catholic institution) tell me.... "Fasting" for Lent has a very broad interpretation in this post-Vatican II era. It's about making more room for spiritual practice and reflection in your life, and if abstaining from something helps to realize that goal, then it's a welcome addition.

That abstinence does not have to be about food. Imagine how much time for spiritual practice and reflection a person might have if s/he gave up Facebook for Lent, for example?

I "gave up" negativity. Hardest thing ever and I fail everyday! But it's really making me think about my attitude and every time I get negative I stop and pray about it. I decided that food was not really my issue anymore.

As long as I can wrap my shrimp in bacon, I will observe Lent. Otherwise, I have no use for Lent. There is enough negativity without "giving up" something for Lent. I taught my kids to do positive things instead. Got them in all kinds of trouble in the Catholic school my husband insisted we send them to, but I always was a renegade.

I have no use for organized religion. Certainly not the Catholic Church. I was raised Presbyterian, became Catholic, and now do not go to church with my husband, who never misses mass. But I do ask him what he learned at Mass when he comes home. Just to make sure he was paying attention.

As long as I can wrap my shrimp in bacon, I will observe Lent. Otherwise, I have no use for Lent. There is enough negativity without "giving up" something for Lent. I taught my kids to do positive things instead. Got them in all kinds of trouble in the Catholic school my husband insisted we send them to, but I always was a renegade.

I have no use for organized religion. Certainly not the Catholic Church. I was raised Presbyterian, became Catholic, and now do not go to church with my husband, who never misses mass. But I do ask him what he learned at Mass when he comes home. Just to make sure he was paying attention.

Poor Mr Sheanie. Lol he gets quizzed to make sure he was paying attention. You are a hoot!:rulez:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back