The bounce back...

Kristaz

So I am now almost 1 year post op. Everything is great! All my RNY related /dumping issues are resolved and have taken off about 50 pounds! (Wish I would have done this years ago!) I am one of the lucky ones that o don't have to take many supplements all of my vit numbers are great. My question is everyone talks about the bounce back after your "honeymoon". Well I have been stuck at the same weight give or take a pound either direction for several months. I am happy where I am at and this is the "goal weight" where Dr. K said I should be for my height and frame and he made my lengths accordingly. He even had told me to incorporate natural sugars like add honey to my coffee so I didn't lose too much and bounce back hard. However should I be concerned that I will still bounce back and regain? Thoughts and suggestions from you vets?

Not everyone has bounce back but it is typical. Figure about 10-20 lbs average. Can it be avoided, some have but if it happens, do NOT freak out.

At one year, you might have some time left to lose. Me personally, I would try to lose another 20 or so pounds so the bounceback wouldn't hurt so much when it happened. It's usually in the neighborhood of 20lbs. If you would be OK with a 20lb gain and where that would leave you then you are fine!

I am 12 years out. The initial bounce back was 10 lbs in the first year or so, but, over the decade, I added and lost along the way. Last year I went too high, so I ate more carefully. Now, I am at 15 lbs above the low point. Doc said to stay where I am, and as long as I stay relatively the same clothing size, I am fine with it. Weigh myself daily. Don't buy a lot of small-size clothing in the first year until you see where you land. sugar is the "brake" when you want to stop, but also the accelerator up, if you don't know when to quit.

Latest posts

Back