Thanks Larra :)

WOW that chart is absolute GOLD! Thank you for sharing it with me.. Also i appreciate the empathy when it comes to hurting feet! MY GOD my feet kill me at work. I've spent HUNDREDS (if not maybe thousands) over the years trying to find comfortable shoes! New balance, Nike, specially made shoes and orthotics. even considered buying these most UGLY shoes with heels that look like mattress springs! (thank god i didn't, a gal can't look completely stupid, no matter how comfortable they promise to be) i've suffered with Plantar fasciitis for so long i've gotten used to it being just another pain my body has to deal with on a daily basis.
Same here! My closet couldn't hold all the shoes and I had inserts flying in the closet air like birds! Plantar fasciitis was so bad I'd cry! I bought the braces, tried taping...the works. DS surgery, weight starts coming off and poof, pain gone! I had mine in June and pain has been gone for quite a while and I'd had it for years!

I'm no spring chicken either, 59 now, 58 at surgery, short and red headed! Welcome. I'm in Tennessee, and had to self pay because ins didn't cover WLS. Had mine in Mexicali with Dr. Esquerra!
Welcome!

Welcome! Believe it or not, I have a pair of those shoes with springs on the heels. Sprongs! Best ones I ever found were MBT(Masai Barefoot Technology). But they are not cheap!

I had my DS about 14 years ago. And believe me I still wouldn't trade it in for anything else out there. Someday there will be something better but not yet!

Hi.

Welcome.

My surgery was 11 years ago. I lost about 120 pounds. Sometimes, I regain up to 20 pounds and then I un-regain it.

I'm still chubby, but I'm very cute and almost 70 years old!

Also, I am occasionally rude...but I can live with that.

Sue

Spiky, I've never seen you be rude to anyone who didn't have a little rude coming. Rude on, Sister.

Welcome, Ms. Lisa. I'm only about a year out and have had a few small issues, but I would do it again in a hot second. The weight will cease to become the bane of your existence and you will have a new experience of life. Can you imagine that? It's hard to grasp pre-surgery because misery is so familiar. But once you're on this side, you will understand why most of us are so enthusiastic and grateful.

Best to you...

Mark

Last edited:
Well now.. i certainly feel quite welcomed here! I think i'm gonna like it here! Admittedly i keep going back and forth. I'm just.. well i'm just scared, ya know? CHEESUS! it's such a big decision! Thanks to Larra i found a surgeon that practices an hour away, and BEHOLD! he's in my network that works with an Institute of quality... so 90% coverage with 100% hospital stay. Atena tells me that projected out of pocket expense should be less than $500 bucks (depending on what's billed) So, i guess i'd be kinda stupid not to go through with this.. but what i'm worried of is what this surgeon might ask for up front, or if nutrition and fitness classes will not be covered. I've not asked those questions yet of my insurance. so i have to really consider what kind of money i have to come up with before hand.. i might have to knock over a liquor store or start working a corner somewhere hoping for chubby chasing Johns to help me flip the bills. UGH it's all so overwhelming... but at least i'm closer to knowing something. so that's good i reckon. thanks for everyone's support here. y'all are fab! <3

Everyone is scared. This is scarey. I was terrified and it lasted until a week after surgery. But here are the two things. Everyone here made it through and very few people have complications. AND, to be direct, what other options do you have?

Everyone I talked to said the ds we as one of the best decisions they ever made.

Awesome.news in the insurance!

Last edited:
Options? hmm.. i haven't much. If i could lose this on my own with the other options i have tried then i wouldn't be considering this. I guess the only other option would be to just remain fat... i don't like the sound of that either. I've been through 2 C-sections! i got this right? i guess what i could ask those of you here is.. what if anything did you have to pay upfront to your surgeon and did you have to pay out of pocket for preoperative nut and fit classes?

Yep. That was my point. The DS is kind of the last option as a solution

THE GOOD NEWS IS THE DS WORKS!!!!!!

Take a deep breath and know that a year from now your feet won't hurt. :)

Options? hmm.. i haven't much. If i could lose this on my own with the other options i have tried then i wouldn't be considering this. I guess the only other option would be to just remain fat... i don't like the sound of that either. I've been through 2 C-sections! i got this right? i guess what i could ask those of you here is.. what if anything did you have to pay upfront to your surgeon and did you have to pay out of pocket for preoperative nut and fit classes?
I had a program fee I had to pay out of pocket. As far as the nuts...depends on if they also accept the insurance. Just because they work in your surgeon's office doesn't mean they will. I realize that nut visits, esp pre-op and in the first few months post op are "required", almost every word out of their mouth can be ignored.

Learn to smile and nod. Many ask, well why not educate them? Many of us have tried but they are stuck in a box where the rules don't work for us. The box of "count calories, low/no fat, complex carbs are okay". DSers turn the old food pyramid guide on its head.

so are you saying DS'ers can pretty much eat what they want to? I mean i know that certain foods have a differing affect on some but not others... but i'm hearing that as long as your stomach can take it, you can eat it. am i correct in this assumption?

so are you saying DS'ers can pretty much eat what they want to? I mean i know that certain foods have a differing affect on some but not others... but i'm hearing that as long as your stomach can take it, you can eat it. am i correct in this assumption?

I'm only 4 months in, so I might not be the best one to answer this, but what you can eat was a big part of why I got the DS. You have have the most normal diet of anyone WLS. You have to eat less - you wont want to eat as much - and you have to eat a very high protein diet, but after you get your protein in, you have lots of flexibility in what you can eat. What I love about the DS is I can eat lots and lots of fat and no worry about calories from it. I love the fact I can eat all the fatty meats I want - bring on the bacon and salami - and as much oil as I want. I eat ice cream (though a kids size) and guacamole every day.

The tricky part is carbs. They will make you gain weight, so sugar, bread, pasta, etc you have to be careful with.

I will defer to others on this though.

Eat what you want as long as your system is okay with it, yes BUT the question then becomes "should you"? Just because small amounts of pasta or breads or rice or any other grain doesn't give me issues, doesn't mean I should eat them. Learn to feed your DS protein and fat first each time you eat and then if you still have room, then complex carbs. Try to avoid simple sugars (which includes most fruit). I say most cause tomatoes are a fruit but not in our generic sense.

Can i profess my love to you all for the amazing support and patience you're giving me in answering my questions? i'm so very grateful to you all. I'm sure i'll have many more questions. (i apologize in advance) but just know that you are becoming an excellent resource for me.

Latest posts

Back