Surgery recovery is legit hard

An update. Feeling tremendously better. Now only soreness and still get tired easy when active. I am getting an iron infusion tomorrow and hope by the time it kicks in I am feeling up to resuming walking my dogs (now still too tired just after 5 min of walking but I hope to do 20 min walks soon).

I am finding it surprisingly easy to get in my liquids and protein. I am getting 50-60 g protein and staying hydrated. I tried to get approved for soft foods early but was not. However, I have "cheated" and had yogurt, soft cheese, and a couple shrimp, all which went well. My hunger cues are all over the place. Sometimes I feel I am starving. Drinking some protein shake takes care of that. Other times I just really miss food. Having a couple bites of cheese helps then. I am looking forward to integrating more real food soon.

So all in all after the rough start, things are easier than expected and I am happy with my healing.

I wish there was canonical medical directions on this stuff

Pre surgery diets seem like super critical or not important at all. Is liver shrinking bullshit wooo or a real thing?

Soda will either kill you or is fine

I’ve avoided all sodas since before surgery, tbqh that habit is probably broken. I’m just sick of the seemingly random directives
You are correct. Random directives and personal opinions. There was 1 doc, I think in Michigan, who tried to restrict red meats and all sweeteners, and of course, caffeine. I think there was some other stuff in there too.

Liver shrinking IS a good idea but here's the real scoop. It only takes a couple days of very low carb to become glycogen deprived and shrink your liver. Weeks of restriction pre-op is just a weight loss diet to make the doc's stats LOOK better.

And HERE is the real reason for ALL of this crap. We deserve to suffer for the GIFT of weight loss.

I was feeling for a while I do not have much restriction, which is what allowed me to easily keep up with liquids and protein. I was also feeling hungrier than I had anticipated.

Interestingly, that has changed the past day or two. I had read somewhere that before things heal fully, the nerve endings don't communicate the stomach being full. I may have been overloading it without knowing (and fortunately not to the point of getting sick).

Now it is a challenge getting the protein in due to feeling so full all the time. I only feel hungry when I first wake up (although craving sweets like crazy lately). I am kept full by my hydrating drinks and protein. Right now I feel overstuffed like I just ate at a buffet but I think I only hit 35g of protein for today and I know I didn't make my hydration goals. I think I only ate about 300 calories...yeesh I better find a way to up that, that can't be healthy. I will get the official ok to progress to soft foods tomorrow so hopefully that will help up my protein and calories.

I may have to start a blog....helps to write about post surgery weirdness.

The most challenging part for me was figuring out when I'm full. I still don't have it right, but I did have a really hard time with it. I threw up for 6 months because I could not process it all. Now, I still have trouble, but it's much better. So, you should know, my experince with recovery, is it took 7 months to feel human again and a year before i can say I was recovered. Other people don't seem to take that long, but for me, I thought recovery was long and painful. Of course the amazing weight lose made it much more bearable. 14 months in, it's great. But it took a lot of time.

It takes a lot of time to learn your new body and for your body to heal.

Latest posts

Back