Surgery on June 12th!

Caitlunn

It's hard to believe that my insurance approval went off without a hitch, but it couldn't come a moment too soon! Now I'm just trying to see all my regular clients one or two more times before I'm off for a few weeks...ugh. I know it won't be a walk in the park, but I have to say, I'm looking forward to having a bit of time off where it's okay to take care of myself.

I've also decided that I want to start a vlog of this experience. I might put it out, I might not, but if anything, I think it would be a cool way to document my progress. I do some stuff already on youtube, so cross promotion is always on the brain. But more than that, I'd like to make WLS seem less friggin taboo, you know? Especially the DS. Every person I've mentioned my upcoming surgery to has asked me if I'm getting the lapband (my mother, for instance). I cant say I'm that surprised, but still. The lapband would never work for someone like me, and overall is pretty dangerous. It would be nice to spread more of the DS gospel.

Okay, now I've got some QUESTIONS. My surgeon's office requires the pre/post op liquid diet, and that you buy the supplies from their in office store. I was quoted a price of $300. Its not the price tag I'm concerned about, but I have recently been having some trouble with shakes. They give me terrible stomach pains/gas. I normally mix with water, rarely coconut milk/lactose free milk. Never the real stuff, though other dairy doesn't bother me. I don't normally blend them either, because I can never find the cup for my blender XD I was thinking that the artificial sweetners might be the culprit? But every shake I've tried has a different kind, and sweetners don't bother me in anything else so, what the hell? I've tried Unjury, Jay Robb egg white, and snytrax. So far, snytrax has upset my tummy the least, but still give me a belly ache. I can put up with it for now, but I don't think I'd like to post off, with my insides already being upset.

I'm going to try Premier RTD this weekend, and maybe Atkins RTD as well. I'm going to call their office to see what other kinds of meal replacement shakes they offer so i can try a few beforehand. In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Congrats on getting approval--our dates are close, I'm scheduled for June 19th. I've been testing out protein myself and I do have some issues with digestion of many. They tend to make me gassy and bloated. However, I recently discovered MET-RX at Trader Joe's (it's priced well there, too) and I found that the flavor is light and the texture blends really well. I have only tried the vanilla. So far, I can't drink any of the RTG protein drinks. I will try Premier to see if that is any better. I hope the MET-RX works for after surgery and the texture holds up for a post-surgery palette. I'll link below to the stats. The only thing I don't like about the MET-RX is that it contains sucralose, so I am going to keep looking for a good alternative without the sucralose.

http://www.metrx.com/products/ultramyosyn-whey-isolate-creamy-vanilla-5lb/

JMHO but they are all disgusting and the smell... Gross!

Don't stock up. You are almost guaranteed to hate whatever you buy after surgery. Make sure you have sf gatorade or pedialyte, sf popsicles, and Imodium. Just in case!

I have heard good things about unjury 'chicken soup'. I think people like it because it isn't sweet.

JMHO but they are all disgusting and the smell... Gross!

Don't stock up. You are almost guaranteed to hate whatever you buy after surgery. Make sure you have sf gatorade or pedialyte, sf popsicles, and Imodium. Just in case!

I have heard good things about unjury 'chicken soup'. I think people like it because it isn't sweet.

We always have Imodium around the house, thankfully. My dog has a very sensitive stomach, so we give him half a pill when he gets into something that doesn't agree with him. I know I've tried the unjury chicken broth before and I liked the flavor. I can't remember if it bothered my tummy, I'll have to give that one another try.

I actually like the one I am drinking now. It's not at all bad. It is a light flavor of vanilla and it mixes well with fruits. I threw some frozen strawberries in it and it was actually delicious. So, maybe not all are gross. But, yeah, the majority are disgusting.

Thanks to all of you who replied, and any of you that might be lurking ;) I did end up getting some of the premier RTD and it went down smooth! No tummy pains! I know it isn't as great of a protein as the whey isolate, but it's good to know that it's an option.

Also, my local Kroger sells Jay Robb egg white protein. Interesting.

I'm currently trying to do 2 shakes per day with a high protein meal and some good snackies, in the hopes of slowly getting more used to a mostly liquid diet. My eating has been pretty naughty the past few weeks. Nothing like how I used to binge, but still.

Did I mention that I start my liquid diet right after memorial day? I'm pretty happy that I'll get to spend the weekend eating delicious food at dad and gramma's! I'm excited!!

No need to be any more miserable than you have to be. Why not just have your food fest and hit the dirt hard on 6/1?

Hi @Caitlunn , just wanted to say congratulations on your surgery date. I drink Oh Yeah! shakes by ISS because they're lactose free, and I'm lactose intolerant. They're not awful, especially if put in a blender with ice.

No need to be any more miserable than you have to be. Why not just have your food fest and hit the dirt hard on 6/1?

As if I need encouragement to have my cake, and eat it, too, lol. I haven't descended into misery just yet. Just being more mindful. We are having a potluck at school tomorrow, and my best friend is visiting this weekend for her birthday, so we will probably have cake, and I'll let myself enjoy all that! Mainly, I'm just concentrating on getting a good amount of protein and water in every day.

I drink the Premier Protein Shakes--they're the only ones I can drink without gagging. That being said, I 've also been known to use the Genepro protein powder to help up my protein intake. I bought a sample pack of Unjury Protein Powders before my surgery. I tried them after and hated them. Maybe I won't dislike them so much a few months out. My tastes change all the time.

I drink the Premier Protein Shakes--they're the only ones I can drink without gagging. That being said, I 've also been known to use the Genepro protein powder to help up my protein intake. I bought a sample pack of Unjury Protein Powders before my surgery. I tried them after and hated them. Maybe I won't dislike them so much a few months out. My tastes change all the time.
Congrats on your surgery date. I hope and pray all goes well.

Congrats on the surgery date!! I have to tell you, you called me out on the lurking, and your punctuation is damn near flawless, so you're good in my book! ;)
The vlog is a great way to document your experience(I also sincerely appreciate you not calling it your "journey"), if for no other reason than to be able to remind yourself where you started!
I like the Premier drinks/powder, though I think the driving force behind my preference is price! I also really like the idea of adding the flavorless protein powder to broths.
I'm something of a Kroger fanatic, and I'm always coming across something incredible in their clearance sections! Right now, my district has Gatorade for $0.69/32oz bottle. Can't get mad at that!
Anyways, Welcome, Enjoy your cake, and Happy Vlogging!

Latest posts

Back