Surgery next Thursday, Starting Liquid Diet Tomorrow

Just as an FYI, you'll be able to eat Oreos and potatoes chips when you heal. And you wont want to eat them before you heal. To me the difference is you just can't as much and you really need to do protein first.

You'll do great!

I can't eat Oreos. Wheat flour. But Newman's Own or Trader Joe's or someone has a gluten free version that will suffice.

It's the filling that MOSTLY counts.

Thanks, Duckman. Congratulations on your first week!

I am SO tired if my very limited pre-op diet (plain Greek yogurt twice a day, 1 clear protein drink per day, broth for lunch, and hello for dinner) that I am counting the days until I can have regular full liquids, and puréed tuna sounds like heaven!

you'll do fine! I'm on day six post op, still enjoying broth and Pedialyte frozen pops
Hey man I didn't realize you had your procedure. Glad to hear it and I hope everything went well and you are healing well.

To the OP, I am not advocating ignoring your surgeon but there really is no good medical reason that necessitates a liquid diet. If he was operating on your colon that is different but some contents in your small bowel is no big deal from what a very respected surgeon told me. Some say the liquid diet is too shrink and or make the liver more malleable. Dr k is in record as saying publicly that he has never met a liver he couldn't work around. So kind of along the line of spikey's response if you slip a little it isn't the end of the world.
.Best wishes

Hey @TranV your big day is tomorrow! Not much longer on the pre-op diet. Wishing you a safe and successful surgery.

BTW, I never pureed anything. Pureed food is, IMHO, disgusting. Just break up the tuna really well and add a decent amount of (full fat!) mayo to make it nice and moist, take tiny bites and stop as soon as you feel full.

Today's your travel day. If I recall correctly, this was tough as you're limited to water until they do the blood tests, etc about 2pm PST. Notice I said "If I recall?" All this will be a distant memory very soon! See you on the LIGHT side!

Good luck! I went to Dr. Esquerra too! Very good experience. First day after surgery is hard..and then, it gets a little better each day.

It will be great. It's a great experience down there for what it is. Take a deep breath. It will be fine. They are a warm, friendly and caring bunch. The first day is hard.

Latest posts

Back