Surgery completed yesterday 8-13!

So how do you get 64 oz in daily with a pissy swollen sleeve: Never Had Surgery? Here's What to Expect!

Thanks for this link! Great info and it describes exactly what I'm going through. I don't think I've exceeded 40oz per day yet, but today I'm trying a one oz. cup and trying to get down 6 oz. per hour. So far it's mostly working so maybe I can get 64 oz. today.

Anyway I feel better that what I've going through is normal, and there isn't something wrong with me.

I do wish someone mentioned how your bladder takes awhile/days to wake up after anesthesia. Getting a catheter put in by two female nurses while awake *was not* a good time!

Thanks for this link! Great info and it describes exactly what I'm going through. I don't think I've exceeded 40oz per day yet, but today I'm trying a one oz. cup and trying to get down 6 oz. per hour. So far it's mostly working so maybe I can get 64 oz. today.

Anyway I feel better that what I've going through is normal, and there isn't something wrong with me.

I do wish someone mentioned how your bladder takes awhile/days to wake up after anesthesia. Getting a catheter put in by two female nurses while awake *was not* a good time!
Mine was put in after I was put to sleep for surgery. And my bladder apparently went into overdrive. My nurse said I was filling bags exceedingly fast.

Guys have the advantage when on a picnic in the woods; girls getting a catheter is much easier.

I was being prepped for a surgery once and the nurse came in to put in the catheter, and I objected somewhat strenuously that they should wait until I was knocked out - she said nope, they didn’t want to take OR time for prepping that could be done ahead of time. So I reluctantly allowed her to do it - and was quite surprised at how quick and painless it was. Literally only took 1-2 seconds, and just felt weird.

Congratulations! You are having a very usual post-op experience. I, too, was not expecting the level of pain I experienced. It wasn't my first surgery, but it was the first major surgery. Sipping sounds like it should be easy, doesn't it? It is a learned skill. One I learned painfully. I took a little gulp and promptly puked it out.

I can't change what you're going through post-op. I can tell you that recovery can be tough and you will survive. (Even when you don't think you will.)

Congratulations! As they say, sip, walk, rest and repeat. The first few weeks and the first few months are the hardest but time will fly by.

Latest posts

Back