1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

Surgery canceled

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by Innervision, Sep 12, 2017.

Innervision

Innervision New Member

Hi all, I was supposed to have a virgin DS tomorrow but the doc's office called yesterday and canceled due to my pre-op ekg. I apparently now need a cardiac clearance. Until yesterday I didn't know there was a cardiac issue. So, I'm bummed. I am planning to stay on the pre-op diet they have me on but continue the coffee they wanted me to stop months ago (small consolation). I think it will all work out but I was so mentally and emotionally ready to get "switched." So disappointed.

DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

First - MO people often have abnormal EKGs, especially women, because of fat/breast tissue on the chest wall.

I had two friends who had DS a while after me; both were my age (they were both in their early 50s at the time) and both were over 400 lbs.

1) My male friend had developed kidney issues, and was, as most men are, centrally obese. His preop EKG was abnormal. He had to undergo an "emergency" angiogram the day before his scheduled surgery (he had to travel to the Bay Area, and his COBRA insurance was about to expire). The angiogram showed an astonishingly clear cardiovascular system, giving him more confidence that he was not going to die on the table.

2) My female friend (who had an even higher BMI, being much shorter), also had a bad preop EKG, and the angiogram discovered a 95% blocked coronary artery (and others as well). She was rotorooted and had to delay surgery for 2 months, to taper off the anticoagulants. She did fine - but could have died on the table if they had operated without unblocking her coronary arteries.

So the further testing may be reassuring, if it turns out that your coronary system is fine, OR it may find and fix something that needs to be fixed for you to safely have your surgery.

Either way, it's a good thing.

Innervision

Innervision New Member

Thank you Diana, I always appreciate your deep knowledge.

hilary1617 likes this.
    galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

I had an abnormal EKG when I did my fast program right before my surgery. It was fine. Sorry about the delay, but better to know everything is OK which it most likely is. :) And if it's not, better to take care of it.

Innervision likes this.
    KathrynK

KathrynK Well-Known Member

Same. Abnormal EKG, referred to cardiologist, had to do the treadmill and some other tests. Nothing found. But they didn't schedule the DS surgery until all the tests were done. How disappointing to have them schedule it and then find out it would be delayed! Don't think of it as "cancelled". It's just being rescheduled. Hope it all goes well...

Innervision likes this.
    CaitlynR

CaitlynR Aspiring Wizard

I also had an abnormal EKG. Got to meet a very cute cardiologist :) I had a stress echo and a 24 hour monitor, everything looked great. I also had to be cleared before they gave me a date. I would also be frustrated to have to reschedule! Hopefully you can get in quickly to a cardiologist to clear up the issue.

Innervision likes this.
    Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

I am sorry but when it come to heart stuff it's better to be safe. It's probably just a glitch and it will be cleared up!

countryham and Innervision like this.
    Duckman

Duckman Well-Known Member

My surgeon requires cardiac clearance for everyone. He's probably a little conservative, but I am glad. I learned a lot about my cardiac health

Innervision likes this.
    k9ophile

k9ophile Well-Known Member

All of the above, sort of. I don't have any cautionary anecdotes, just a healthy respect for abnormal cardiac findings. This is definitely a "Better safe than sorry" situation.

Innervision likes this.
    Innervision

Innervision New Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the normalizing, reframing, and support. I might call tomorrow and see what's taking them so long. LOL!

CaitlynR and Caitlunn like this.