Surgery and Recovery timeline

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
Hello! I am in the pre op process and wondering what to expect timeline wise. I completed all pre op requirements besides finishing the three month medically supervised weight loss required by bcbs fep (should be done end of August) and being cleared by a cardiologist. I had an abnormal EKG which neither the PA at the bariatric program nor the cardiologist think is a problem, but I will have some heart tests the second week of July.

I work as a clinical psychologist and tend to be booked out two months in advance, with groups being scheduled through the end of the year. I want to give my clients and supervisor as much notice as possible.

What was your timeline like in terms of when you were approved by insurance, and when you got your surgery date? How much time did you request off work? I work 10 (which means 11-12) hour days so will probably return half time for a week or two when I first come back.

Last edited:
I can't advise about insurance as I was self pay, but many surgeons won't even put you on the schedule until all requirements are met. The one to ask, then, is the surgeon. S/he may be able to tell you now that the schedule is booked through X date.

Are you getting a DS or VSG? (Your info under your name says VSG but you posted in DS forum.) If you're getting DS, plan to be exhausted from both the major surgery and the fast weight loss. I'd take a month off from work. Yeah I was taking multi-mile walks 2 weeks out, but then came home and fell asleep for three hours -- and I had gotten up from a morning nap to take the walk in the first place. Since your job is all sitting in a chair, and probably a comfortable one, you could go back to work earlier. But there is a brain fog that comes with this tiredness as well. I didn't feel physically and mentally normal until 3 months out.

How you will feel after surgery is impossible to answer because each of us are different. I think I was off six weeks before returning half time although it might have been longer. I honestly cannot remember how long I did that before going back full time. As noted above, it was at least three months before I felt *human* although it may have been longer. Additionally, I am in awe of anyone who posts an update the day after surgery yet some have.

Oops, I updated the surgery type. I had originally planned on the sleeve but changed my mind after I learned the switch was an option and looked more into it and discussed with my surgeon.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking 4 weeks off and then 2 weeks half time. Just making sure that isn't excessive. While my job is sedentary it is very cognitively demanding and no way to reduce work demands besides going part time.

Oops, I updated the surgery type. I had originally planned on the sleeve but changed my mind after I learned the switch was an option and looked more into it and discussed with my surgeon.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking 4 weeks off and then 2 weeks half time. Just making sure that isn't excessive. While my job is sedentary it is very cognitively demanding and no way to reduce work demands besides going part time.
If your job requires critical thinking, I would plan on a full 6 weeks. Anesthesia brain takes time to resolve.

Latest posts

Back