support for Roo

I don't know where to shove this and I didn't want to start a new thread cos it makes me feel like an attention whore lol...so I will just do my updates here.

The hand. The hand sucks lol. Saw my GP and she is running every blood test she could order as I am starting to have numbness in my back/butt/right thigh so she wants to test for any and all deficiencies before I go off to a neuro. She has also put me on a waiting list for physical therapy :) The wait is 8-12 weeks which means I have time to heal up before they kick my arse.

Also, the hand issue doesn't fit the normal neuropathy that happens after surgery. Mine matches exactly to carpal tunnel!!!!! ???? So yeah. Good times. But, my bother had severe CT and had an operation and is ok now....so now I know this won't be forever I am a bit less anxious.

Also back on the anti-d's. My GP was happy that I ask as she was worried due to my mental health past, quick weight loss AND the effects everyone feels after anaesthesia. So yeah. 50mg of sertraline/Zoloft is now my friend. Now I just await the chronic insomnia I get when on it. (I really can't win sometimes lol)

Life is going ok other than that. A bit slow. I would love to just go for a drive whilst the sun lasts.....and I DO go with rides with the hubz, but I love to drive alone with the windows down and the music up....did I mention ALONE? lol. I'm an introvert IRL and love nothing more than to be alone with my thoughts. So yeah...still not cleared to drive, still not on a vac, but my wound is healing up good the old fashioned way. I was actually able to see the wound bed myself yesterday, so it is coming up.

My back has been giving me problems for about 1.5 weeks and now my hip is stuck. I don't know how to explain it other than to say it keeps catching. To you normies...it's like when your knee needs to click/pop but my hips never clicks it just gets stuck with that pain....so I'm back on the codeine....hence the longest post I have made in a loooooong time. I get chatty on opiates lol.

I haven't weighed in a while....just been pluggin on. My jeans fall off me as I walk up the stairs but Im shrinking in a weird WEIRD weird way...so my jeans one size smaller (same make/brand/year) are tight and hurt my hand to put on. I've been doing okish eating wise. I have sinned and had chocolate...and omg LOL. It didn't hurt, but wow....I had no idea one person could poo so much in one night!!! And my poor husband lmao. I need some of that poopurrie asap lol. It's a really weird smell, my poo. Don't know if it's the "DS smell" but it is bazaar and smells more like a treatment plant that actual poo.

I'm terrified of trying white flour carbs or grains.....like to the point of phobia...and I have no reason to, other than I fear the pain/consequences. Wish I was chocophobic lol.

Anyhow, I hope you all are doing well. I'm doing well with all the vits and protein and I am more mobile showering every single day :) (although some days I give my hair a miss because my back hurts to the point I hold my breath and can only manage a quick wash)

Thanks for all of your help and support. The vets for cheering me through the past few years and then my generation of dser commiserating with me. What would I do without you guys?

I'm glad to hear it's going OK - but I'm sorry your hand isn't any better and for the added pain. :( I hope physical therapy helps, I do occupational therapy so I know a lot of PTs. they are like anyone else, really vary. so if you get one you don't like I encourage you to ask for a different one...I don't know how it works over there exactly.

the mood issues sound to be pretty OK - I think those of us with problems had better expect that major change including rapid weight loss is probably going to mess with us. change is hard, even when it's planned and for the good.

keep posting and nobody ever feels like you are an attention whore, I guarantee! <3

I'm glad to hear it's going OK - but I'm sorry your hand isn't any better and for the added pain. :( I hope physical therapy helps, I do occupational therapy so I know a lot of PTs. they are like anyone else, really vary. so if you get one you don't like I encourage you to ask for a different one...I don't know how it works over there exactly.

the mood issues sound to be pretty OK - I think those of us with problems had better expect that major change including rapid weight loss is probably going to mess with us. change is hard, even when it's planned and for the good.

keep posting and nobody ever feels like you are an attention whore, I guarantee! <3

Thank you :)

I expected major mental issues post op but so far it's just been a little low feeling....which is a little off for me during sunny days (Im solar powered! lol) But the reason my GP trusts me as an unmedicated bipolar is that I will come to her at the very first sign of trouble. So I'm fairly confident I won't have an episode of bipolar proportions, but I do get teary......at adverts and stupid things lol. I also have some weird rage/frustration issues showing their head...will keep an eye on that one lol.

I'm not sure how PT's work over here either....but Im sure it will be ok. My GP put me on the wait list for the hospital PTs which do things like aquatherapy. :) It's a longer wait, but with a huge hole in my body I can't do too much anyways so the wait is ok :)

Every day I feel more and more like myself. Which is good :) I still struggle to understand the compliments....even coming from the hubz every time he hugs me. I don't feel smaller and I don't look smaller when I look down lol....I do notice it in the mirror but I don't look very often lol. Compliments catch me off guard lol.

My guess on the back and hip pain is that it could be from the weight loss causing your center of balance to change. Also the pressure on your hips to shift. Like how many people's shoe size changes with weight loss because a lot of weight on you feet causes the bones to spread apart and when you lose the weight the bones go back together. The physical therapy should help.

My guess on the back and hip pain is that it could be from the weight loss causing your center of balance to change. Also the pressure on your hips to shift. Like how many people's shoe size changes with weight loss because a lot of weight on you feet causes the bones to spread apart and when you lose the weight the bones go back together. The physical therapy should help.

Yeah back pain probably is due to weight loss. The hips, sadly, are normal for me :/ I'm very disabled due to advance osteo and psoriatic arthritis....so yeah...par for the course in my life BUT, I'm still going strong. Nothing will stop me trying to live the best life I can :)

I had CT surgery on both my hands, not at one time though. Did your doctor recommend a brace to put on your wrist? My mom didn't have to have surgery because she slept in brace, sleeve or whatever others may call it. It helped keep the wrist immobile therefore not "pinching" the nerve.

You are really doing good. I smile so much when I read your posts. I love reading them. I kind of wish you were an attention whore so you would post more.

Yeah you!!!

As far as jeans, even the same make/brand/EVEN size varies from one pair to another. When they cut denim, they stack it and while they try to cut the exact same size, cloth, by it's nature will slip millimeters. So the top of the pile may be one size and the bottom of the pile may be as much as 1/8 inch bigger on all sides. (Both sides would add an entire 1/4 inch to the "size".

Been mentally "away" for a while so I missed a lot of your story as it happened. So sorry to hear how awful it has been/still is, but it does sound like there is improvement, and that's the right direction. I too had back troubles after weight loss and thought it might be due to changes in center of mass, balance, gait, etc. Had to use a walker for about 6 months, and Drs thought it might be permanent, but it's BETTER. They don't know everything. I was out last weekend lifting 40-lb boxes of honey with no consequences but being tired, so don't lose heart. The body can make amazing comebacks, and your detemination will help a lot. Rock on!

Great news for you! (And hope for me!) you are so much better than I as I moan about my hand every chance I get. You on the other hand have been patient.
Oh girl. No. Trust me. My family and home life were in complete disarray after being in the ICU for months. Trust me that it was a hot mess!

I had no choice when I got back home to my state but to jump back into life. Life goes on.

For me, when things get really, really hard, it's good to look around and find others who have it harder. That perspective makes it so much easier to cope and thrive.

It's also good to laugh as much as possible.

Please come and talk as much as you need to about how things are. It might really help you later, to see how far you have come.

You are doing really well; just keep going!

Last edited:
For me, when things get really, really hard, it's good to look around and find others who have it harder. That perspective makes it so much easier to cope and thrive.

Funny enough when I was a morbidly obese teenager convinced I would never be loved, I used to watch Quasimodo to remind myself my life could be much much worse.

I am feeling a bit better now...in that I am able to do my hair and make up and look a bit presentable. I am however very fed up with the nurses doing my wound. They are giving me such attitude because I'm not as able bodied as they think someone my age should be. Thankfully my GP had a word with the head nurse but still, not cool the attitude I am getting. I cannot wait to be free of all that and return to normal life.

Good things have come from all of this. It made the hubz take a long hard look at the state of things and our future...so this is good. He had his head in the sand before thinking we would live "forever". So every cloud and all that.

I would go mental without the support here. Everyone else I know in the WLS sailed through their ops with no problems and are dropping weight like mad....and 2 months on and Im still reminded daily that I am still not well.

Buttttt....you are right....it could be worse. I know people who haven't made it this far with their life....so, in that respect, I am blessed and have nothing to moan about. :)

I am however very fed up with the nurses doing my wound. They are giving me such attitude because I'm not as able bodied as they think someone my age should be.

you would think people in healthcare would no better! but we are all human and you'll find Dumb Ass in every profession...:mad:

Buttttt....you are right....it could be worse. I know people who haven't made it this far with their life....so, in that respect, I am blessed and have nothing to moan about.
BUT you are dealing with the moment and are entitled to moan! At least in here, :) As well as grump, gripe, and whine. Just ignore your nurses...they are there to HELP you not pass judgement. Let them do what they have to do and if they say something even to each other just give them "that look"...you know, the one your mom would give you when you knew you were saying something stupid as a kid...my Mother called it her southern lady "go to hell" look.

You are looking fantastic...and yes, you had a very rough start but YOU are doing this and your dh is there for you. If it made him think about the future, so much better. We are NOT invincible...

Latest posts

Back