Sunday Weigh In (6/12/2016)

LW BMI: 25.1
TW BMI: 24.9

I AM NORMAL

er, well, at least my BMI is normal.

No doctor can shame me about my weight, no insurance company can charge me extra and force me to have a phone consultation with a (usually SMO!) LPN. Screw you all. Twice.

Exactly 7 months post-op today. 85# down.

I fell off my exercise ball in class the other day. I just nodded when the instructor called out that I needed to keep my abs tight (yeah right), because the truth was, I fell off the ball when I looked down and was gobsmacked by the small size of my thighs. I couldn’t take my eyes off ‘em. At the end of class when I walked back to put the ball away, I was so mesmerized by my lanky appearance in the mirrored walls that I tripped over the instructor’s 7 year old daughter.

Who dat thin woman?

I AM NORMAL

No doctor can shame me about my weight, no insurance company can charge me extra and force me to have a phone consultation with a (usually SMO!) LPN. Screw you all. Twice.

I fell off my exercise ball in class the other day. I just nodded when the instructor called out that I needed to keep my abs tight (yeah right), because the truth was, I fell off the ball when I looked down and was gobsmacked by the small size of my thighs. I couldn’t take my eyes off ‘em. At the end of class when I walked back to put the ball away, I was so mesmerized by my lanky appearance in the mirrored walls that I tripped over the instructor’s 7 year old daughter.

Who dat thin woman?
Awesome, and to think you have been worried about not losing fast enough. I think you are losing at an excellent and most importantly, HEALTHY PACE. Congratulations and don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you don't hit and maintain your goal of a 21 BMI. That is freaking skinny and I think you will be surprised at how good you will feel and look at 23'sh. You are doing so well, Clematis!

I AM NORMAL

Who dat thin woman?

YES!!!!!
Awesome SAUCE!!! But LOL, on your being distracted by your new view in the mirror.
LW 202.2
TW 200.8

Onederland remains out of reach this week but not out of sight! Plugging along...

Have a great week everyone!
Sorry it's just out of reach...you will get there. But you did great this week.
LW: 184
TW: 183
Holding pretty steady...how are you feeling "old man", ;)

YES!!!!!
Awesome SAUCE!!! But LOL, on your being distracted by your new view in the mirror.

Sorry it's just out of reach...you will get there. But you did great this week.

Holding pretty steady...how are you feeling "old man", ;)
I am feeling old! :D

I am feeling better everyday but it really did surprise me that after having this procedure done lap rather than the full blown components separation, as to just how much this still hurts at times. When I get gassy and or have a "full bowel" I can really feel it along the screw line where the mesh is held down. Gas-X is much needed to get rid of that strong discomfort. That, IMO, is because the tissue around the screws is still inflamed and healing (will take 6-12 months according to Dr K for those suckers to be absorbed) as well as the tissue overall. I am hitting the Ibuprofen pretty consistently as that can be a 6-12 week period for the swelling to level off.

My incision line from my revision (abut 3 inches) is strangely enough a little tender and has a slight pink tinge to the skin coming off the incision line. That is strange because he didn't touch that area and when it was infected before I had the same type pattern in that area but much, much darker red and it was inflamed.

My appetite is not what it was prior to surgery either as I am filling up much more quickly. Dr K thinks that might be because I have less area in my abdominal cavity now that the hernia is gone. That seems odd to me but I am sure as the swelling subsides the discomfort and will go away and my appetite will get stronger.

The Vitamin A & D shots definitely perked me up (sure it is more the D than the A) so hopefully in the next week or two the gassy and abdominal screw area pain will go away completely. It is much better than it was but it has a bit to go until I get to normal. Once that happens I am expecting to fell much better strength wise even though I am better in that regard now as compared to before.

@JuliaDS @-Flo- I swear the scale is sentient and malevolent. As one nears a major milestone, it laughs at us and shows us as stalled or gaining a pound. Grrr. You'll get there.

Thanks @DSRIGGS

As much as I hate the profound limitations of the BMI system, I have to go with it. I can’t rely on my eyes to gauge whether I am an acceptable weight. I can’t rely on the size of my clothes as the size on the tag in 2016 bears little relationship to the same size on the tags of 2006 and no relationship to the tags on clothes from 1996. I can't rely on family and friends -- I'm sure I don't have to explain THAT.

Normal BMI is 18.5-24.9 — midpoint is about 21.2. That's the normal of the normal and that’s what I’m hoping for.

In the days before BMI where there was a weight range based on height (and also based on “frame”, gender, and age), I, as what was known as “small framed,” was told I should weigh what would now be called a BMI of 20. In fact in 1980 at my current weight (barely normal BMI though it now is) I was sent to a “fat” doctor and was put on an impossible ultra-low calorie diet of only liquid protein. (Not what we think of today as a protein drink, rather a clear-ish 100% protein substance the consistency of syrup, but unsweetened and unflavored and tasting like bad perfume. I got three, 1 oz “shots” of it a day, each one resulting in dry heaves. That was all. Lost 12# almost overnight, was too weak to move, gave up in two weeks and the first time I ate food, it was right back on by the end of the day.) A decade later through sheer determination I got down to a BMI of 18.5 (although BMI hadn’t been invented yet) and I looked skeletal so I know I don't want to go that low.

But again, the DS is going to take me where it wants. I really can’t imagine eating more or less than I do now.

@DSRIGGS Sorry you're still in pain and out of sorts after your surgery. Hope recovery speeds up and you're back to eating your usual half a cow in no time.

Latest posts

Back