Sunday Weigh In (4/17/2016)

LW 102.4 kg | 225.8 lbs
TW 102.2 kg | 225.3 lbs

Big movement on the tape measure this week, with each of my bust, waist and hips seeing at least a 5cm (2 inch) drop.

I also ate eggs for brunch today at a cafe, and no ill effects. So maybe I'm just a shitty cook...time to investigate further!

LW BMI: 27.8
TW BMI: 27.5

When I first got my surgery report it was a paltry paragraph that listed alimentary limb as 200cm and common channel as 100cm. Neither total bowel length nor biliopancreatic limb length were mentioned. But when I repeatedly questioned the surgeon and other doctors before and after surgery they swore they used the Hess method. A couple of months later I became concerned that they did not remove my gallbladder for which I paid $2k extra since it was not mentioned in the original surgical report. I contacted them, they apologized backwards and forwards ("that's not the way we do things here") and sent me a new full page detailed surgical report in which the gallbladder removal was discussed as well as all the bowel lengths. I was so happy that they did indeed remove my gallbladder, that it didn't "click" in my brain that something was amiss with the limb lengths until last week. Total Bowel: 500 cm. BP Limb: 200cm. AL Limb: 200cm. CC: 100cm. The Hess method on a total bowel length of 500cm should be BP Limb 50%: 250cm. AL Limb (40%): 200cm. CC (10%): 50cm. So my common channel is twice as long as it should be. This might explain why I never had weight falling off me like others -- although I don't eat that much for the switch to do its job anyway -- and I hope I'm able to achieve and maintain goal. (It might also explain why I don't have foul gas or poop as most of my fat IS being absorbed.) There's nothing I can do about this so, oh well. But I am furious.

LW 102.4 kg | 225.8 lbs
TW 102.2 kg | 225.3 lbs

Big movement on the tape measure this week, with each of my bust, waist and hips seeing at least a 5cm (2 inch) drop.

I also ate eggs for brunch today at a cafe, and no ill effects. So maybe I'm just a shitty cook...time to investigate further!
Fantastic...I loved seeing the tape measure move more than the scale.

It might be that the cafe used something like egg beaters...which is the white not the yolk (altho colored to make it LOOK yellow). Try at home again.

When I first got my surgery report it was a paltry paragraph that listed alimentary limb as 200cm and common channel as 100cm. Neither total bowel length nor biliopancreatic limb length were mentioned. But when I repeatedly questioned the surgeon and other doctors before and after surgery they swore they used the Hess method. A couple of months later I became concerned that they did not remove my gallbladder for which I paid $2k extra since it was not mentioned in the original surgical report. I contacted them, they apologized backwards and forwards ("that's not the way we do things here") and sent me a new full page detailed surgical report in which the gallbladder removal was discussed as well as all the bowel lengths. I was so happy that they did indeed remove my gallbladder, that it didn't "click" in my brain that something was amiss with the limb lengths until last week. Total Bowel: 500 cm. BP Limb: 200cm. AL Limb: 200cm. CC: 100cm. The Hess method on a total bowel length of 500cm should be BP Limb 50%: 250cm. AL Limb (40%): 200cm. CC (10%): 50cm. So my common channel is twice as long as it should be. This might explain why I never had weight falling off me like others -- although I don't eat that much for the switch to do its job anyway -- and I hope I'm able to achieve and maintain goal. (It might also explain why I don't have foul gas or poop as most of my fat IS being absorbed.) There's nothing I can do about this so, oh well. But I am furious.
You are still losing. If you think more of your fat is being absorbed, cut back just a little..my common channel is 175 so almost as twice as long as yours and I lost all my excess.

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm busy getting the campground ready. I was busy this week cleaning buildings and getting them ready for the camping season. Plus I run a bear hunting guide service so I spent some time in the woods baiting for bears. By far the most physical week since my surgery on February 18th.
Last week 241#
This week 234.4 #

LW 221.2 (two weeks ago)
TW 218.4

Missed last week due to business travel. My life has been planes, trains, and automobiles these past two weeks! And several NSV's:

- Got on a packed Amtrak in Wash DC and someone actually offered me the seat next to them instead of avoiding eye contact and praying that the fat lady would squish someone else
- No problem putting the tray table down on the Amtrak and working on my laptop comfortably
- No problem fitting comfortably in a coach seat on cross-country domestic flights, buckling the seatbelt, and using the tray table for meals and working
- Wore the plush hotel bathrobe in two different swanky hotels - never even tried it on before. Fit perfectly. Loved it! What a luxury :)
- At a conference, someone I've known for 15 years (and see annually at this conference) walked right past me without recognizing me!
- Participated in everything - walked everywhere, danced, went out to watch the sun rise every morning and the sunset every evening, didn't avoid life!

One incident that disturbed me and really made me think was my reaction to having a very large man seated in the middle seat next to my aisle seat on the return cross-country flight yesterday. As he struggled to squeeze himself in and buckle the seatbelt extender, I found myself initially a bit put out by the parts of him encroaching on 'my' space. I was really shocked to have those thoughts as it dawned on me that that was me just a few months ago. After mentally slapping myself, I raised the arm rest, moved as far to the aisle in my seat as possible and did what I could to help him be more comfortable. He later thanked me and I told him about my WLS journey, even confessing my initial reaction to him, and we had a deep, honest discussion for the rest of the flight. It never ceases to amaze me how the universe brings us teachers, sometimes when we least expect them...

Have a great week everyone!

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm busy getting the campground ready. I was busy this week cleaning buildings and getting them ready for the camping season. Plus I run a bear hunting guide service so I spent some time in the woods baiting for bears. By far the most physical week since my surgery on February 18th.
Last week 241#
This week 234.4 #
Doing great, Jim...

I'm still trying to figure out when we will get your way...maybe next summer? We want to go to Alaska summer of 2017 and maybe we can go by you on the way.
LW 221.2 (two weeks ago)
TW 218.4

Missed last week due to business travel. My life has been planes, trains, and automobiles these past two weeks! And several NSV's:

- Got on a packed Amtrak in Wash DC and someone actually offered me the seat next to them instead of avoiding eye contact and praying that the fat lady would squish someone else
- No problem putting the tray table down on the Amtrak and working on my laptop comfortably
- No problem fitting comfortably in a coach seat on cross-country domestic flights, buckling the seatbelt, and using the tray table for meals and working
- Wore the plush hotel bathrobe in two different swanky hotels - never even tried it on before. Fit perfectly. Loved it! What a luxury :)
- At a conference, someone I've known for 15 years (and see annually at this conference) walked right past me without recognizing me!
- Participated in everything - walked everywhere, danced, went out to watch the sun rise every morning and the sunset every evening, didn't avoid life!

One incident that disturbed me and really made me think was my reaction to having a very large man seated in the middle seat next to my aisle seat on the return cross-country flight yesterday. As he struggled to squeeze himself in and buckle the seatbelt extender, I found myself initially a bit put out by the parts of him encroaching on 'my' space. I was really shocked to have those thoughts as it dawned on me that that was me just a few months ago. After mentally slapping myself, I raised the arm rest, moved as far to the aisle in my seat as possible and did what I could to help him be more comfortable. He later thanked me and I told him about my WLS journey, even confessing my initial reaction to him, and we had a deep, honest discussion for the rest of the flight. It never ceases to amaze me how the universe brings us teachers, sometimes when we least expect them...

Have a great week everyone!

Great NSV's.

And realizing that your seat mate was probably feeling what you did back when is an eye opener. But also what YOU were feeling. And your willingness to accommodate him without making him feel bad, helped him. It also gave you an opening for talking about your journey and maybe plant a seed for him.

Hello Friends,
LW: 130
TW: 128

I'm not sure why I have a loss this week. But I'll take it. I've been a bit stressed trying to strategize my resignation. We may be losing a huge account so I could be laid off. That would mean 4 months of severance. But I'm the only person that performs my particular job and I'm "cost effective" as I do not utilize the health care or make as much as my piers. I may ask if they are taking volunteers or just offer myself up as a scarificial lamb to save others. Any HR gurus out there...

Anyway have a good week all
Whit

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

I'm not sure why I have a loss this week. But I'll take it. I've been a bit stressed trying to strategize my resignation. We may be losing a huge account so I could be laid off. That would mean 4 months of severance. But I'm the only person that performs my particular job and I'm "cost effective" as I do not utilize the health care or make as much as my piers. I may ask if they are taking volunteers or just offer myself up as a scarification lamb to save others. Any HR gurus out there...

Whit
I would too, Whit.

Okay, NOT HR here but I remember when dh took a buyout voluntarily rather than wait to be possibly laid off. While his skill set was such that he was one of only about 300 world wide who could do what he did, he wasn't happy and he was the last one hired in...so we jumped ship. He ended up going to work for GE about 6 months later (he worked as a contractor between).

I'm happy to report I've gained this week to 181.4 lbs. Really feeling good nowadays. Gratz to all as you continue to achieve your goals! Remember, in this life many aspire to do great things. But not many actually accomplish what they set out to do. We DS'ers and sleevers in particular are rock stars in the accomplishment department. Bragging a tad? You betcha! Now don't you dare get discouraged when you hit your stall periods or have other difficulties along the way. Just keep on marching forward to your inevitable victory!
:clapping:

I'm happy to report I've gained this week to 181.4 lbs. Really feeling good nowadays. Gratz to all as you continue to achieve your goals! Remember, in this life many aspire to do great things. But not many actually accomplish what they set out to do. We DS'ers and sleevers in particular are rock stars in the accomplishment department. Bragging a tad? You betcha! Now don't you dare get discouraged when you hit your stall periods or have other difficulties along the way. Just keep on marching forward to your inevitable victory!
:clapping:
You are doing good. Keep at it.

The CC is often much greater than the 10% number. Dr K rounds up to the next 25 CM increment. FYI - my original CC was measured at 125cm by Dr K which would have been around 17% of my SBL and I lost like crazy. He added an effective 25 cm with my revision and another 125 to my AL and I am still doing fine weight wise.

At 200 cm AL and 500 cm SBL you are at exactly 40%.

I think you are losing a lot more than you think you are and you don't want it flying off anyways as it isn't healthy for your body. You have lost 10 BMI points and are just overweight now and very close to "normal" BMI. I am miserably weak at my 23'sh BMI, so honestly I think you are going to be fine and wouldn't worry yourself too much.....I know, easier said than done but you are losing and a 100cm CC is pretty common.

Hello Friends,

I'm not sure why I have a loss this week. But I'll take it. I've been a bit stressed trying to strategize my resignation. We may be losing a huge account so I could be laid off. That would mean 4 months of severance. But I'm the only person that performs my particular job and I'm "cost effective" as I do not utilize the health care or make as much as my piers. I may ask if they are taking volunteers or just offer myself up as a scarification lamb to save others. Any HR gurus out there...

Whit
DO NOT OFFER YOURSELF UP. That is noble to worry about others, but frankly it is not in your interest. Wait for them to come to you and if it happens it happens. You don't want to cost yourself potential money..and offering up could be considered a resignation and no severance money awarded. You don't want that.

LW 128
TW 126

Can't seem to pinpoint my fluctuations except probably water weight. I'll take it, though!
Looking for some warm up in the weather soon! Still waking up to 20°s! Brrr!

I am too lazy to look up last week but I think it was 178

TW: 183

Yoyo'ng around 181. This weight range is fine by me. I just want some energy so I can work out to gain strength and to just feel human again.

I am in the process of getting hernia repair (components separation) and abominoplasty approved by insurance and hope to have surgery within 2-3 weeks max. It is looking likely that I will be traveling to Dr K as I am not liking what I see in Peoria for what I need (need a one stop shop) and I just don't want to go back to marshall. He messed me up and I just can't forget that.

Latest posts

Back