Sunday Weigh In (11/20/2016)

LW: 79.6kg | 175.5lbs
TW: 79.3kg | 174.8lbs

Not too bad, just stressful and busy as usual. This was my last weekend at home for 2016. I napped a lot, watched too much Netflix, and am now finishing up some work.

Tomorrow I'm off to the doctor, as I think I have a second UTI within a month. Only seem to get them when I'm around this weight - no idea why! I had my blood taken this week as well, and see the doctor in early December for the results.

LW: 79.6kg | 175.5lbs
TW: 79.3kg | 174.8lbs

Not too bad, just stressful and busy as usual. This was my last weekend at home for 2016. I napped a lot, watched too much Netflix, and am now finishing up some work.

Tomorrow I'm off to the doctor, as I think I have a second UTI within a month. Only seem to get them when I'm around this weight - no idea why! I had my blood taken this week as well, and see the doctor in early December for the results.
Sorry about the UTI. Some people are just more prone than others. I know that Cranberry Juice SUPPOSEDLY helps but that is usually too much for a DS'er but maybe some cranberry type pill to help? http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/womens-guide/cranberries-for-uti-protection

You are doing nicely on your weight.

Last weight (3 weeks ago): 167.6
TW: 166.6

I've been away from the scale for a few weeks - first week caring for my FIL in MD, then 2 weeks in Egypt on business.
While out of the country, I had my first experience with a kidney stone. Horrible! Spent 2 nights admitted to hospital then 5 more days before it thankfully passed on its own. Fortunately, my company arranged for first class medical care and transport home so I was fine but ohh the pain! Like nothing else... All good now. There are apparently 4 more small ones sitting in my left kidney minding their own business where they will hopefully stay or eventually pass without incident. Urologist in Egypt recommended adding lemon juice to my water as a preventative but I'm waiting to see one locally (on Monday) before changing anything.

Wishing everyone a good week and Happy Thanksgiving! So much to be grateful for...

@JuliaDS SO sorry about kidney stone. I too just had one in Europe which never passed and had to be surgically removed here a week ago. (This was my 7th stone. Two more since July and others in the past. Not counting the two small stones still in me which could go at any time.)

The "mix in a little lemon juice" to prevent stones is recommended by docs here but IMO (and the opinion of urologists who are friends) "a little lemon juice" is unquantifiable and unscientific. Use something with a KNOWN quantity of potassium citrate. Look at this link, then scroll down to the "Use beverages" paragraph. Crystal Lite lemonade (specifically lemonade, not other flavors) has the most potassium citrate. Drink a liter a day.

http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/price-of-potassium-citrate/

Furthermore, you don't want concentrated urine sitting around overnight with their particulates settling out to form stones. Many experts think nighttime is when stones form. Drink enough water just before going to bed that will compel you to get up halfway through the night to pee -- then drink another glass of water so you will wake to pee in the morning. My urologist friend who had more than 30 stones has had none since adopting this protocol. (He also drinks a liter of diet 7-up a day, the potassium citrate runner up to Crystal Lite which he doesn't like.) And overall, you should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.

Of course none of that helps existing stones. Because it can take 3 hours to get pain meds at an ER, and perhaps a LONG time to get to the ER if on an intercontinental airplane, I carry around an emergency kidney stone kit of Percocet (nothing else is strong enough for stone pain. but this doesn't help if you are vomiting from pain and puke it up), Cyclizine (for nausea from pain or opiates), Toradol (to take 3 hours after taking Percocet as the percocet will start to ebb by then. So each every 6 hours but staggered by 3 hours), Flomax (to open ureters. begin at first symptom and take one daily until stone passes), and a medical report and CT report of existing stones to show docs in other cities. All of these meds are Rx. Ask your urologist for them, explaining about your travel and therefore possible delays in getting medical care.

Good luck to you. Hope the other stones pass uneventfully.

Hello Friends,
LW 132
TW 130

I'm not sure why I've lost another couple of pounds but I'll take it. I really feel more comfortable between 124-128 so I'll take it.

Long week. My hand aches pretty much all of the time. Tylenol helps. I was given a refill of pain meds on Wed and told to wein myself off of them. So I'm not sure if I'll be getting another refill. I intend to save them or cut them in half and alter with Tylenol as needed. So far it's been manageable. I want to make sure I have the stronger stuff for Physical Therapy.

I'm cooking this year so that means Steve has to literally be my left hand...will be interesting! I've ordered a Turkey from Jensens. It has been cleaned, seasoned and placed in a pan ready for cooking. I like to brine my birds but not this year. Wish me luck.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.:turkey:

Just got back from four days in Phoenix on what was supposed to be a house-hunting scouting trip, but turned into a complete change of plans AND getting into contract on a house, sight unseen by Charles (I just made a separate post about this).

169.4 - up a few oz from my last post, but essentially the same. Still under 170.

Been stalled for a long time and this week I'm up

SW 355
Stalled at 203
TW 204.4

LW 126
TW 125

I am getting more feeling in my numb foot and am getting around better!! Yahoo!!! Spoke with surgeon last week and he told me it is normal for the screw to protrude through the bone. It adds stability. He does not feel it is touching sciatic nerve. The fact that the screw is the original one placed at first replacement and was never touched during revision helps me believe him. He thinks the nerve was stretched during the revision and may (or may not) improve over time. I feel it IS improving and I have renewed hope!

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving! :turkey:

@JuliaDS SO sorry about kidney stone. I too just had one in Europe which never passed and had to be surgically removed here a week ago. (This was my 7th stone. Two more since July and others in the past. Not counting the two small stones still in me which could go at any time.)

The "mix in a little lemon juice" to prevent stones is recommended by docs here but IMO (and the opinion of urologists who are friends) "a little lemon juice" is unquantifiable and unscientific. Use something with a KNOWN quantity of potassium citrate. Look at this link, then scroll down to the "Use beverages" paragraph. Crystal Lite lemonade (specifically lemonade, not other flavors) has the most potassium citrate. Drink a liter a day.

http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/price-of-potassium-citrate/

Furthermore, you don't want concentrated urine sitting around overnight with their particulates settling out to form stones. Many experts think nighttime is when stones form. Drink enough water just before going to bed that will compel you to get up halfway through the night to pee -- then drink another glass of water so you will wake to pee in the morning. My urologist friend who had more than 30 stones has had none since adopting this protocol. (He also drinks a liter of diet 7-up a day, the potassium citrate runner up to Crystal Lite which he doesn't like.) And overall, you should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.

Of course none of that helps existing stones. Because it can take 3 hours to get pain meds at an ER, and perhaps a LONG time to get to the ER if on an intercontinental airplane, I carry around an emergency kidney stone kit of Percocet (nothing else is strong enough for stone pain. but this doesn't help if you are vomiting from pain and puke it up), Cyclizine (for nausea from pain or opiates), Toradol (to take 3 hours after taking Percocet as the percocet will start to ebb by then. So each every 6 hours but staggered by 3 hours), Flomax (to open ureters. begin at first symptom and take one daily until stone passes), and a medical report and CT report of existing stones to show docs in other cities. All of these meds are Rx. Ask your urologist for them, explaining about your travel and therefore possible delays in getting medical care.

Good luck to you. Hope the other stones pass uneventfully.
Hi @Clematis - Thanks so much for the advice on managing with kidney stones. I may need to tweak a bit since I can't handle sugar alcohols at all so no diet soda or Crystal Light for me. I already drink 2 liters of plain water per day - increased to 3 liters as instructed by the ER doc to 'flush it out' - now back to 2. I'll try the night time protocol - it makes sense. Do you think I could get potassium citrate in powder and add it to the plain water?

The emergency kit is a great idea! I carry my DS medical report and vitamin/protein supplement protocol now so they don't question all of the pills and powders. This will be a useful addition. I have all of the drugs you list (plus Dilaudid!) and I have the ER report (in English and Arabic!). I'll ask the local urologist for the CT report and anything else he thinks I should have on hand. I do travel a lot - mostly to big cities but occasionally more rural areas - so good to be as prepared as possible!

I'm very lucky that my company has emergency medical care (and emergency evacuation if needed). I called the number and within 15 minutes there was a private ambulance out in front of the hotel and a paramedic at the door of my room with a wheelchair. They gave me a shot of Dilaudid in the ambulance so I was feeling pretty good when I arrived at the hospital :) The service had someone to translate but I didn't need it. All of the medical personnel spoke English and my very basic Arabic pleasantries sufficed with staff. Once admitted, I did have a bit of a challenge in explaining my diet until I remembered someone on one of these forums recommending the term 'medically induced short gut syndrome'. The doctor got that right away and whatever instructions he wrote in my chart did the trick. I got lots of poached eggs and fish and stews of lamb and chicken with yogurt and no rice or bread. Perfect!

LW 126
TW 125

I am getting more feeling in my numb foot and am getting around better!! Yahoo!!! Spoke with surgeon last week and he told me it is normal for the screw to protrude through the bone. It adds stability. He does not feel it is touching sciatic nerve. The fact that the screw is the original one placed at first replacement and was never touched during revision helps me believe him. He thinks the nerve was stretched during the revision and may (or may not) improve over time. I feel it IS improving and I have renewed hope!

Excellent news! Happy Thanksgiving!

LW 217
TW 210

Surprised to see such a big drop this week, especially given my activity has dropped off while we get the hips in check a bit. The most recent x-rays showed significant arthritic progression since January. Having injections in both hips Wednesday to hopefully help alleviate the pain and get me up and moving around more again.

Getting ready for the holidays and a few much needed days off of work, never a dull moment in this crazy life

Last weight (3 weeks ago): 167.6
TW: 166.6

I've been away from the scale for a few weeks - first week caring for my FIL in MD, then 2 weeks in Egypt on business.
While out of the country, I had my first experience with a kidney stone. Horrible! Spent 2 nights admitted to hospital then 5 more days before it thankfully passed on its own. Fortunately, my company arranged for first class medical care and transport home so I was fine but ohh the pain! Like nothing else... All good now. There are apparently 4 more small ones sitting in my left kidney minding their own business where they will hopefully stay or eventually pass without incident. Urologist in Egypt recommended adding lemon juice to my water as a preventative but I'm waiting to see one locally (on Monday) before changing anything.

Wishing everyone a good week and Happy Thanksgiving! So much to be grateful for...
Sorry about the kidney stone. There are plenty of threads on the subject around here, that's for sure. Doing good on the weight
Hello Friends,
LW 132
TW 130

I'm not sure why I've lost another couple of pounds but I'll take it. I really feel more comfortable between 124-128 so I'll take it.

Long week. My hand aches pretty much all of the time. Tylenol helps. I was given a refill of pain meds on Wed and told to wein myself off of them. So I'm not sure if I'll be getting another refill. I intend to save them or cut them in half and alter with Tylenol as needed. So far it's been manageable. I want to make sure I have the stronger stuff for Physical Therapy.

I'm cooking this year so that means Steve has to literally be my left hand...will be interesting! I've ordered a Turkey from Jensens. It has been cleaned, seasoned and placed in a pan ready for cooking. I like to brine my birds but not this year. Wish me luck.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.:turkey:
Good going on the weight. Sorry about the pain meds but weaning off of them makes sense.

Just got back from four days in Phoenix on what was supposed to be a house-hunting scouting trip, but turned into a complete change of plans AND getting into contract on a house, sight unseen by Charles (I just made a separate post about this).

169.4 - up a few oz from my last post, but essentially the same. Still under 170.
Glad you have your trip behind you. I did that one time...bought a house unseen by my Charles. Well, he did see the listing but never saw the house in person til after we owned it. Doing good on the weight.
Been stalled for a long time and this week I'm up

SW 355
Stalled at 203
TW 204.4
Maybe not enough of the right kind of calories? What do your macros look like as in how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs...and what type of carbs? Remember we don't count calories the same way normies do but calories DO count...as in you can stall or gain on too few.
LW 126
TW 125

Glad to hear the news....And you lost a lb to boot.

LW 217
TW 210

Surprised to see such a big drop this week, especially given my activity has dropped off while we get the hips in check a bit. The most recent x-rays showed significant arthritic progression since January. Having injections in both hips Wednesday to hopefully help alleviate the pain and get me up and moving around more again.

Getting ready for the holidays and a few much needed days off of work, never a dull moment in this crazy life
WTG...that iis an awesome drop. I hope the injections help.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

LW - 210
TW 209.

Last two weeks have been slow. Think it's the antibiotics which I stopped yesterday. Goal is 207 by thanksgiving and 199 by New Years.

Latest posts

Back