Sunday Weigh In (1/29/2017)

SW: 257
LW: 188
TW: 188

So many big losers this week! Congratulations to all of you. I noticed that I tend to lose a couple of pounds and then my weight stabilizes for a couple of weeks before dropping the next couple of pounds. I am fixed on my hernia these days. My once small hernia is now a ginormous hernia. My stomach looks like a watermelon. Going to see a bariatric surgeon next week regarding getting this thing fixed. The hair loss continues. I now have some bald spots which require the strategic use of hair mousse, hair dryer, and curling iron. Approaching 6-mos post-op and hope the hair loss stops soon.

LW 157.4
TW 157.1

Not breaking any records this week, but I'll take it!

Very, very busy couple of weeks coming up with 2 major work deliverables, a Board Meeting, 4 business trips, 2 weddings, (and my birthday :)) so it will be a bit hectic!

Have a good week everyone! Hope that the fire rooster treats us all well this (Chinese) new year!
Happy birthday
:happybirthdaystars:
And while it may not be breaking records, it's still a downward trend.

So many big losers this week! Congratulations to all of you. I noticed that I tend to lose a couple of pounds and then my weight stabilizes for a couple of weeks before dropping the next couple of pounds. I am fixed on my hernia these days. My once small hernia is now a ginormous hernia. My stomach looks like a watermelon. Going to see a bariatric surgeon next week regarding getting this thing fixed. The hair loss continues. I now have some bald spots which require the strategic use of hair mousse, hair dryer, and curling iron. Approaching 6-mos post-op and hope the hair loss stops soon.
So this is one of your "flat" weeks.

Sorry your hernia is so big. Fair warning, every time you have surgery, you reset your hair clock.

I have each time. But it grows back. I've had over 2 years now with no surgery...my hair seems to be growing normally now.

My hair loss clock must have reset during my hospitalization for leak complications. I'm guessing I am going to have a few more months of hair loss. And, more hair loss with future hernia surgery. Bummer. I do see some regrowth coming in though.

My hair loss clock must have reset during my hospitalization for leak complications. I'm guessing I am going to have a few more months of hair loss. And, more hair loss with future hernia surgery. Bummer. I do see some regrowth coming in though.
I had surgery in march 2015 then June and July of 2016 and then this past week. Thankfully I had super thick hair but I have no idea what this time will be like. Stay tuned. It usually happens around the 3-4 month post op mark for me

Are you taking biotin? I was dubious about it but many people says it works including my doctor who had the ds. I'm just at 5 months and I'm shedding a little, but I'm unsure if this is my normal cycle or from surgery.

Good luck

I took biotin every single stinking day starting before surgery (and still take it) and it did NOTHING for me. NOTHING. I lost gobs and gobs of hair although it immediately started regrowing. I also lost hair every time I dieted in the past and these were very high protein diets so it is not a result of low protein. (I only lost hair from dieting, never from surgery or stress.)

If you are the type who loses hair when dieting, I believe there is nothing you can do to stop it. You just have to ride it out.

I took biotin every single stinking day starting before surgery (and still take it) and it did NOTHING for me. NOTHING. I lost gobs and gobs of hair although it immediately started regrowing. I also lost hair every time I dieted in the past and these were very high protein diets so it is not a result of low protein. (I only lost hair from dieting, never from surgery or stress.)

If you are the type who loses hair when dieting, I believe there is nothing you can do to stop it. You just have to ride it out.

I'm sorry, but glad it's growing back. When did you start losing hair?

I had surgery in march 2015 then June and July of 2016 and then this past week. Thankfully I had super thick hair but I have no idea what this time will be like. Stay tuned. It usually happens around the 3-4 month post op mark for me

I am thankful I started out with thick hair! I'd be completely bald otherwise. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your hair.

I'm sorry, but glad it's growing back. When did you start losing hair?

It seems like the hair loss started around month 3. I was also hospitalized for a month after DS due to gastric leak and infection and this makes me think I'm getting a double whammy on the hair loss. I lost hair with my RNY but it was not that much and only lasted for a month. I am not taking biotin, but I need to order some and give it a try.

Are you taking biotin? I was dubious about it but many people says it works including my doctor who had the ds. I'm just at 5 months and I'm shedding a little, but I'm unsure if this is my normal cycle or from surgery.

Good luck
The only biotin that I take is what is in my multi. This issue with biotin is you can't target which/where the hair grows. All it did for me was grow chin hair.

Best to be as healthy going into a surgery as possible. Esp with protein numbers. Being healthy inside will help the hair regrowth. It won't stop the loss if it's gonna happen but it can make the replacement as healthy as can be.

As a dermo told me 20 years ago when I was freaked out about sudden hair loss: "I don;t know what caused your hair loss as many things can cause it, however I can tell you pretty exactly WHEN it happened and that's 3.5-4 months ago. Nothing that happens today will make your hair fall out tomorrow -- the process must take 3.5 months before the hair will fall out." I had started a Slim Fast only (nothing else) diet EXACTLY in that time frame. (The doc told me that he had been under tremendous stress when he took his medical exams -- vomiting, panic attacks -- and 3.5 months later his hair started coming out in fistfuls.)

If one is a "shedder" one will begin to lose hair 3.5-4 months in to the diet, even if you've stopped the diet before then. (This same time table applies to anyone who loses hair from any stressor -- rapid weight loss, vitamin deficiencies, emotional/physical upheaval.) You may very likely continue to lose hair until 3.5 months after the rapid weight loss ends. (I did.) These stressors speed up the life cycle of a hair; a new hair should begin to grow almost immediately but the growth process is SLOW and takes 3 months. Whatever you do to try to make your hair grow, like minoxidil or lasers, etc is going to take also 3 months to show. So was it really the minoxidil, laser or biotin, or was it just the time it took for your hair to grow back as usual? (See how difficult it is to measure product success on anyone but male baldness?)

For me (and I think for most) the loss was greatest around the hairline, temples and over the top of the head -- almost male pattern baldness. I continued to lose hair in shocking amounts until this December, more than a year after surgery. My weight had sort of stabilized 3 months before. All the while I was losing, more hair was growing back. If you can imagine, in any clump of my hair there are hairs just emerging, hairs a quarter inch, half inch, and every quarter inch up to 4", then not much of anything until the sparse remaining full length 12" hairs. When I hold up a strip on a brush in preparation to blow dry it, I can see straight through the area from 4-12". I keep it tucked tightly behind my ears to hide the hairline and the wispy nature of the ends. I did cut it to a short bob, but my stylist insisted that I NOT cut my hair short in a pixie because those newly growing hairs would make the rest of the hair stick straight up. Her strategy is for the long hairs to act as the anchors in keeping down the shorter hairs. Once it all grows out more I may do the elfin cut -- but I want to see if it will cover the scars for the face lift I want to have.

Latest posts

Back