Sunday Weigh In (1/1/2017) Happy New Year

I didn't get on the scale today.

For the first time in my adult life, I didn't have the January 1 near-paralyzing anxiety of starting a new diet that I knew would fail.

I ate whatever the hell I wanted today and will do so tomorrow and the day after.

You captured my feelings (that i did not even know I had) so well.

I'm truly happy for you. How totally amazing.

For the first time in my adult life, I didn't have the January 1 near-paralyzing anxiety of starting a new diet that I knew would fail.

I ate whatever the hell I wanted today and will do so tomorrow and the day after.

I'm a size 4 and sometimes even a size 2.

It really is Happy New Year!!!!!
Yes it is and very freeing. I ONLY got on the scale this morning cause it was Sunday not the 1st of Jan.
Either I'm quite out of sorts or my friend's scale is quite different to mine, so I'll use what was last from my scales.

12/4, the last on my current scale: 77.2kg | 170.2lbs
TW: 75.5kg | 166.5 lbs

The trip is over, jet lagged like crazy but had an amazing time. It was a joy to eat 'normally', and to buy small sized tops (!). I have some nice clothes, including a killer little black dress. I bought things that I would still be OK in for a while yet or that were deeply on sale.

Given it's a new year, I also took the time to reflect on my journey.

February 9

standalone

And December 28

standalone

I've learned not to use any scale but mu own (except doctors). You are doing great and I love the comparison shots.

And to you! I'm enjoying some Boudin sourdough with my salmon and eggs.

It's bloody amazing to start a new year off without any resolutions about dieting or exercise!

I know! I did not even realize that this is such a personal win for all of us until @Clematis pointed it out. I just think hooray for all of us for solving this monkey on our back that has been there, well, forever. What a great way to start a year!

Here is to a great year for all of us.

That is great Clematis. Did your ability to eat dense protein ever get any better? I know you had some testing completed but wasn't sure what came about with all of that. Hopefully it has improved.

Either I'm quite out of sorts or my friend's scale is quite different to mine, so I'll use what was last from my scales.

12/4, the last on my current scale: 77.2kg | 170.2lbs
TW: 75.5kg | 166.5 lbs

The trip is over, jet lagged like crazy but had an amazing time. It was a joy to eat 'normally', and to buy small sized tops (!). I have some nice clothes, including a killer little black dress. I bought things that I would still be OK in for a while yet or that were deeply on sale.

Given it's a new year, I also took the time to reflect on my journey.

February 9

standalone

And December 28

standalone
That is awesome and you are looking great and happy.

Regarding the scale. My scale at home seems to be lighter than the scale at my PCP and the GI Doc. Then again I always weight first thing in the AM, "neked" as they say in the South and typically after my first thing in the morning poop. Office visits are usually later in the day and they tend to frown "buck neked" coming out in the middle of the office so I know the clothes and shoes are a couple pounds. That being said it is typically about a 5 pound difference. Funny thing though is that Dr K's scale tends to match mine when I account for the 2 lbs clothing difference.

BTW is that Alacatraz Island behind you in the picture?

BTW is that Alacatraz Island behind you in the picture?

That's my usual weighing routine too. I'll wait to see if I'm a little backed up from travel, but either way clothes are fitting better so I've definitely lost some inches.

And yes, that's Alcatraz behind me! Was a lovely not-too-cold day, though very happy to return to warm tropical weather!

That is great Clematis. Did your ability to eat dense protein ever get any better? I know you had some testing completed but wasn't sure what came about with all of that. Hopefully it has improved.

Thanks for asking. YES it has improved. It took over a year post surgery, but now I can usually eat about 2 oz of dense protein without seizing up and vomiting. I can only eat moist protein -- chicken thighs vs breasts, for example. I got an Instant Pot and pressure cooked "fall off the bone" meat really works well for me. Eggs and I still don't get along, as too often I get nauseous or 5 minutes after eating them, get foul (hen's revenge?) diarrhea, or both. (This used to happen sometimes before the DS which I used to blame on a bad egg.) I don't really enjoy protein anymore -- or rather one bite is good, second bite is meh and I have to force myself to eat more. Before DS I happily ate a 12 oz steak on my Atkins diets; now I cut off a small part of the tender outer ring of my husband's rib eye and I'm done.

Unfortunately I can eat gobs of carbs (what the RNY folks call "slider" foods), with the exception of pasta and some breads which seem to form an impassable dough ball within one bite. In fact the last time I vomited (10 days ago) was after eating half a slice of buttered fresh bread.

But I have NO COMPLAINTS. The DS is the best thing I ever did. Wish I did it 20 years ago!

I continue to pray that your health improves, Scott.

You captured my feelings (that i did not even know I had) so well.

My family had a southern "luck" tradition of eating black eyed peas and ham on New Year's Day. But but but my DIET had to start Jan 1 so I usually ate some and felt a crushing defeat with easy spoonful. My guilt over eating was a demon that possessed me with shame. The DS was like an exorcism. I wish you all NO MORE DIETS!!!

Eggs and I still don't get along, as too often I get nauseous or 5 minutes after eating them, get foul (hen's revenge?) diarrhea, or both. (This used to happen sometimes before the DS which I used to blame on a bad egg.)
Do you still have your gall bladder?

DS and GB removed at same time @southernlady I know some people have egg issues if they have a troublesome GB but as far as I know I did not.

It's weird. I can eat eggs baked IN something like a cake, both before DS and after. I only have trouble with fried, scrambled, poached, omelet (occasionally pre DS but almost all the time now). I made scrambled egg, bacon and cheese on biscuits for the family's NY Eve b'fast. I plucked off a chunk of the biscuit and ate two bites of the egg, bacon and cheese. My stomach seized up, felt queasy and 5 minutes later I had diarrhea. (My reaction always happens fast.) It seems weird to have an egg allergy (if that's what it is) that only happens some times. (And I have no trouble with flu shots, thank god.)

I continue to pray that your health improves, Scott.

My family had a southern "luck" tradition of eating black eyed peas and ham on New Year's Day. But but but my DIET had to start Jan 1 so I usually ate some and felt a crushing defeat with easy spoonful. My guilt over eating was a demon that possessed me with shame. The DS was like an exorcism. I wish you all NO MORE DIETS!!!

When you wrote about New Years day diet resolution and I teared up. I could not believe how well you captured those feelings. I'm so glad your demon is gone!

Latest posts

Back