Such a struggle to keep my mouth shut...

If one presents themselves as an expert, and in today's society of "trust the experts, your own research and instincts be damned!", these NUTs giving shite advice should be taken down. Like at the very least heavily shamed, because they're giving advice that can critically wound their patients. Only those who trust their bodies, have done a crap-ton of their own research, or have some basic critical thinking skills seem to ferret out the BS and look for a true answer.

All the hours I've wasted because someone was reading me a script and had no actual knowledge of the subject or my particular modifications, or how those things work together... ugh, I really want that time back! I once had some pre-gestational-diabetes counseling where the NUT told me to scarf down all my food in five minutes and anything I couldn't plow into my face-hole within that time frame, to walk away from. I was like, I have a VSG, I literally CAN'T eat like that. "Well, do the best you can..." That "advice" went right out the window!

If one presents themselves as an expert, and in today's society of "trust the experts, your own research and instincts be damned!", these NUTs giving shite advice should be taken down. Like at the very least heavily shamed, because they're giving advice that can critically wound their patients. Only those who trust their bodies, have done a crap-ton of their own research, or have some basic critical thinking skills seem to ferret out the BS and look for a true answer.

All the hours I've wasted because someone was reading me a script and had no actual knowledge of the subject or my particular modifications, or how those things work together... ugh, I really want that time back! I once had some pre-gestational-diabetes counseling where the NUT told me to scarf down all my food in five minutes and anything I couldn't plow into my face-hole within that time frame, to walk away from. I was like, I have a VSG, I literally CAN'T eat like that. "Well, do the best you can..." That "advice" went right out the window!

You're right, of course. I am so sorry you had that experience and I hate that anyone has to endure similar onslaughts of misinformation from "the experts." I know the NUTs believe they're giving good advice and that is part of the problem--how do we even begin to do battle with the attitude that makes them assume that they know better than those living with these procedures? I'm not even sure how we go about taking that down. I know the answer lies in education (re-education) somehow, but where to even begin? These NUTs go to school and get their certifications or degrees and they truly believe that the bullshit they're spinning is good information, they also believe that they are an expert knower of this kind of information. How we go about dismantling that is beyond me. I would rather make myself available to send out a lifeline (this place) to those individuals who are struggling and getting bad info. I don't know what else I can do to help.

The biggest problem I see on different boards for WLS is a one size fits all approach by RDs and Drs. They basically give all surgery patients the same advice and rules, regardless of surgery. And most of that is based on the RNY. I say all the time Im glad i found this site.

Latest posts

Back