Such a struggle to keep my mouth shut...

writegirl

Work in Progress
I know y'all will understand when I gripe about how difficult it is to keep my mouth shut when I see posts giving or confirming plain old bad advice to DSers on my surgeon's FB group. How do we even begin dealing with the fact that NUTs are out there telling DSers to cut back on fat? I'm at a loss. Anyway, of course I always urge the new or getting-bad-advice DSer to join on here. That said, I want to unload a dose of truth on those giving the bad advice and stopping myself from doing exactly that is getting more frustrating.

Can I get an Amen?

Why do you have to hold back?

Technically, I don't. But, out of respect that this is A.) not my own group B.) a support group run by the surgeon's office C.) not everyone there is a DSer and D.) I don't want to get banned because I feel like I can help other patients there better by directing them here when they'll listen.

It's damn frustrating. Today, I directed a patient here who has lost over 100 lbs but been at a stall for like 8 months. She has like another 150 to lose. She is mainly drinking her protein from premier shakes and is in a protein deficit, so they (the nutritionist) has her on 170 grams of protein a day, but again, it's mostly coming from pre-made shakes. She's not getting nearly enough fat and the NUT told her she should not eat like a Keto eater, which is pretty much crap since we eat even more protein and fat than most Keto folks. I hope she joins here. She needs the vets!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em think.

So true! Thankfully, this person did listen. She joined here and will be scouring the boards this evening. I'm actually so relieved for her. If she is here at least she'll have access to the correct information and a real support system. We can't make her act on the advice she gets here (or anywhere), but at least she'll have a chance now.

@writegirl That is precisely why I stalk his group as well. I have to be careful but some do listen.

I was thinking of you while I was trying to choose my words carefully. Mostly, I was wondering how the hell you've managed to not unload on the craptastic advice given by his NUTs to these poor unsuspecting newbies. If not for y'all and this group, I would have been one of those folks listening to recommendations that could actually have dire consequences for my health. It's truly difficult for me to not lose my shit over there, but I figure it is better if I can affect something positive here and there for specific DSers as I become aware that they're in need of better support. It sure is frustrating, though.

I was thinking of you while I was trying to choose my words carefully. Mostly, I was wondering how the hell you've managed to not unload on the craptastic advice given by his NUTs to these poor unsuspecting newbies. If not for y'all and this group, I would have been one of those folks listening to recommendations that could actually have dire consequences for my health. It's truly difficult for me to not lose my shit over there, but I figure it is better if I can affect something positive here and there for specific DSers as I become aware that they're in need of better support. It sure is frustrating, though.
Mostly I just shake my head. And remember that I can't save everyone and honestly not everyone wants to know the truth. They believe their surgeon is a god and his staff are the archangels.

So true! Thankfully, this person did listen. She joined here and will be scouring the boards this evening. I'm actually so relieved for her. If she is here at least she'll have access to the correct information and a real support system. We can't make her act on the advice she gets here (or anywhere), but at least she'll have a chance now.
I'm here! I'm here! Trying to maneuver my way around in here.

Latest posts

Back