Speaking of lab tests....yikes!?

Spiky Bugger

So, I stumbled out of bed, hit the bathroom and parked my ass on the couch. A bit later, Mr Sue--a very well-trained doting husband--brought me a cup of coffee and a protein bar, and wandered off to take a shower. (We will be all-day child caregivers starting at 6:00 today and tomorrow.)

A few minutes later, a naked Mr. Sue ran out of the bedroom into the hall. "I just stuck a protein bar in your face and you have blood tests today. Did I screw up?"

So...did he? Did I?

The paperwork does not call for fasting. But the tests include CMP +eGFR and CBC, in addition to Vitamins and Copper, PT/INR, PTH, Iron and TIBC, Ferritin, Thyroid Cascade, Magnesium...just noticed Vit D isn't there...BUT I'm having blood draw AT docyor's office.

Anyway! Besides the glucose stuff, what is going to get messed up by my NOT fasting?

I really want all my tests at once...and I really need the iron test now for my hematologist...so if it's only glucose, I don't care.

But what else will be off?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think Diana is right (glucose and lipids) however I have asked both my doctors and the lab specifically about supplements and no one says I need to stop them before testing (well except the morning of for the ones that have to be fasting).

I think fasting only is required for blood glucose and lipids.

But did you stop your supplements 24 hrs before the tests for them?

No. Why? Since I ALWAYS take them, shouldn't they be included in testing? (I haven't stopped them before and I've tested deficient or low anyway. You tellin' me I'm worse off than we think!?!?!?)

Latest posts

Back