Source for Magnesium Citrate

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I have been using Vitalady's MagCit (1 capsule = 500 mg MagCit = 150 mg elemental magnesium) for a few years. I tried to reorder several months ago, but for some reason it is backordered, and the ETA keeps getting further out. I checked on Bio-Tech's site, and they don't carry this product - since many of Vitalady's products are repackaged Bio-Tech products, this doesn't bode well for the product becoming available again any time soon. The Vitalady product was sold in 250 capsule bottles for $20.

Anyone have any ideas for a replacement product? Nothing in our online store seems comparable (or comparably priced).

I've had same problem. I have been ordering from www.doctorvitaminstore.com. It's a rather weird site but I've had no problems whatsoever. They have 833mg capsules so I've been taking 5 of them, after finding a formula online as to how to figure elemental. It's approximately 12 or 13.00 for 200 but you buy one and get 2 free. I've also ordered E from there and selenium. I've ordered three or more times with no problems. Check it out and let me know what you think, Diana.

I use this at 250 for $15: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Magnesiu...f_rd_t=40701&refRID=PSVAWNSMZ89PQHJA8X72&th=1

It must work cuz my magnesium levels run high.

This is what DH and I found: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best...=1503260444&sr=1-8&keywords=magnesium+citrate

Won't know how well it's working until next labs.

What we used before that we got at Vitamin Shoppe but had to find something on Amazonia when we got to an area with no Vitamin Shoppe.

Whiny complaint - it takes TWO tablets for each dose for both of these. The Vitalady stuff was one capsule.

I've had same problem. I have been ordering from www.doctorvitaminstore.com. It's a rather weird site but I've had no problems whatsoever. They have 833mg capsules so I've been taking 5 of them, after finding a formula online as to how to figure elemental. It's approximately 12 or 13.00 for 200 but you buy one and get 2 free. I've also ordered E from there and selenium. I've ordered three or more times with no problems. Check it out and let me know what you think, Diana.

FIVE PER DOSE? That makes them very expensive! Plus - gag ...

OK, this looks more like it - but - how sure are you that this contains 200 mg of elemental magnesium?
  • Molecular weight of MgCit (1:1) is 214
  • Molecular weight of Mg is 24
  • 24/214 = 11% Mg
  • In order for there to be 200 mg of Mg in those capsules, there would have to be about 1800 mg of MgCit in it.
  • That would be about 1/2 teaspoon of MgCit in a capsule, assuming it is as dense as crystalline sugar.
I think this requires an email to Puritan, which I just sent. Will report back.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whiny complaint - it takes TWO tablets for each dose for both of these. The Vitalady stuff was one capsule.

FIVE PER DOSE? That makes them very expensive! Plus - gag ...

OK, this looks more like it - but - how sure are you that this contains 200 mg of elemental magnesium?
  • Molecular weight of MgCit (1:1) is 214
  • Molecular weight of Mg is 24
  • 24/214 = 11% Mg
  • In order for there to be 200 mg of Mg in those capsules, there would have to be about 1800 mg of MgCit in it.
  • That would be about 1/2 teaspoon of MgCit in a capsule, assuming it is as dense as crystalline sugar.
I think this requires an email to Puritan, which I just sent. Will report back.
I know taking 5 isn't fun, but they ARE slick and "go down easy" capsules. They seem cheap to me. I get 600 capsules for $14.99. That's 2 1/2 cents each, so 5 per day costs me 12 1/2 cents per day, so about 3.75 per month. IF I did my math right, I swear I'm getting to where I don't trust my calculations! I have read and studied about how to figure elemental but I admit I am not really getting it. I was using a formula I found that basically said you could figure 16.16% was available out of the mg. of the capsule so I was figuring that my 5 caps are hopefully giving me around 335 mg of elemental. Am I totally off my rocker? Don't laugh at me too loudly. I figure whats 3 or 4 more pills in the overall scheme of things?

This is the convoluted response I got from Puritan's Pride:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates dietary supplements as food. The FDA ensures consumers that dietary supplements are safe and wholesome, and that their labeling is truthful and not misleading. Signed by President Clinton on October 25, 1994, the DSHEA acknowledges that millions of consumers believe dietary supplements may help to augment daily diets and provide health benefits. With passage of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), Congress amended the Food Drug & Cosmetic Act to include several provisions that apply only to dietary supplements and dietary ingredients of dietary supplements.​

The provisions of DSHEA define dietary supplements and dietary ingredients; establish a new framework for assuring safety; outline guidelines for literature displayed where supplements are sold; provide for use of claims and nutritional support statements; require ingredient and nutrition labeling; and grant FDA the authority to establish good manufacturing practice (GMP) regulations. The law also requires formation of an executive level Commission on Dietary Supplement Labels and an Office of Dietary Supplements within the National Institutes of Health.

The Supplement Facts panel on all products states the elemental amounts for the nutrients listed. For example, if the Supplement Facts panel states, "Magnesium Citrate 200mg", then 200 mg is the elemental amount of magnesium.

If you wish to purchase an item, please feel free to place an order online at www.Puritan.com, or call us at 1-800-645-1030. We’re available to help with your ordering needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So that sounds good. Vitalady's product only had 150 mg of elemental Mg, so this would be a higher dose.

SO:
  • Vitalady's product: 150 mg Mg in 250 capsules (dosage 1 capsule) x $20/bottle = $0.08 per dose for 150 mg
  • Puritan's product: 200 mg Mg in 90 caplets (dosage 1 caplet) x 3 (buy one, get two free) x $15 = $0.0555 per dose for 200 mg [edited to fix stupid math problem]
I'll be ordering from Puritan's Pride.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Latest posts

Back