Sorry, but that doesn't work for me...

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
Sometimes one might think, there is just NO WAY that someone else's experience applies to them. We are all different right? We have all tried different things. Some of us can't do THIS or THAT, or we just don't accept or believe THAT. We KNOW our doctor wouldn't lead us astray. THAT advice goes against everything we KNOW about food and diet. We have all this advice and direction coming at us from different sources. How do we know what is best for us? How do we determine which advice we should accept or reject?

To me it comes down to trial and error. As we grow in understanding of our new anatomy and way of life, we need to be willing to do whatever it takes to find what works best for our day to day eating patterns. I can no longer live the way I once did. I ate whatever I wanted to eat, with no thought of the nutritional long term effects on my body.

When I did give some thought to what I was eating, I tended to take someone else's word for what I should do. I researched numerous books and diets through the years. I took nutrition classes, went to seminars, consulted private trainers and dietitians. I even taught nutrition classes myself at one time, for a health club I worked for. I came to believe that there were just too many "solutions" and misinformation out there. Yes I need the advice, support, and experience of others, but I also need to explore and internalize my needs for myself. I have to find out what is "right" for ME and MY individual concerns and dietary needs.

If we are not willing to work hard at change and "sorting it all out" so that we can find the personal individual answers we need, we most likely will not be able to change the way we eat and think about food. That's where it all begins and ends folks...in the brain.

I have discovered that what works for me one day may not work well the next. I don't know why that is, but I am determined to find out, and learn to adjust my daily eating habits to my bodies changing needs. We have been conditioned to believe in "diets" that will work definitively if we do this or that. So we ask questions and then try the answers and expect them to "Work" right away. When we don't get the desired results, we get discouraged and think, " this doesn't work either." Truth is nothing "works" unless WE "work" it. Solutions in life are no more stagnant than Life itself is.

We wouldn't bring a vacuum cleaner home and sit it in the middle of our floor, and expect to have clean floors from now on. Like wise we can't expect that having surgery has solved all our weight problems. We still must be willing to take action and make changes in our life. It is up to us to find the answers that are best for ourself. We can use the experiences of others to guide us along the way. Ultimately we must find our own path, take what we need, reject what we can't use....trial and error.

Last edited:
If I had it to do over again, I would have been self pay and had surgery in Spain. 2 or maybe more years sooner than I was able to have it done in the US.

I always read knowing your solution may not be mine. But all in all I would have to say I have become better at dealing with my own issues from reading about how you fixed yours. Every now and then what you did becomes a great new idea for me! I read, sort, and sift.

All my life I was told that a calorie was a calorie and my whole problem was taking in too many of them and expending too few. I was beaten over the head with this ad nauseum. Then once upon a time I decided to check it out for myself. Happened back in my 20's. Remember that 1000 cal diet that would make us thin and miserable? Well it never worked for me either. But I proved it to myself. Just so happened that my favorite flavor of Baskin Robbins was 1000 cal a pint. For 6 weeks straight that was ALL I ate. One pint per day, scooped and weighed by someone else. After 6 weeks of 1000 cal per day, all I got was 8lbs fatter. I learned my lesson. A calorie was not a calorie and all those experts lied. Since then I have honed my critical thinking skills and it's even harder to convince me that anything black and white is black and white!

I don't even think about calories anymore. The most important thing I have learned in the last 60 years is "Everything changes."

Last edited:
I don't even think about calories anymore. The most important thing I have learned in the last 60 years is "Everything changes."

I love both these sentences!

there ARE some hard & fast rules (get a good surgeon!) but once you are doing those, people need to experiment and pay attention. I am still learning, hoping to have this maintenance thing DOWN before I die! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back