Some food questions. . .

newanatomy

I am planning on waiting at least 6 months but, does anyone eat popcorn? It is one of my favorites and I would like to have some as an occasional treat.

Whole grain corn taco shells; 19 grams of carbs for 3 shells, does anyone ever eat these?

How about cabbage?

Oh yes to popcorn. I love going to the movies and eating a ton of it, guilt free. I did that probably starting around month 6. I also like to make it at home with parmesan cheese and white truffle oil.

I still dont eat taco shells, just the insides. At 6 months out just the fillings from one Moe's or Chipotle taco would fill me up, especially when I added cheese, sour cream and/or guacamole. These days I still just eat the insides, just more tacos.

Started popcorn at about 4 months out. It is one of my favorite foods in the world. I make it from plain kernels in a brown paper bag (1/4 cup) and pour LOTS of yummy butter over it. Packaged microwave popcorn grosses me out. Movie popcorn, however, is a definite go! I tell the server to layer LOTS of butter on it because I have a medical condition which requires LOTS of butter. I like to watch their faces! (BTW, I don't know or even want to know what it is they call butter. It goes down very well and tastes so good I would rather just eat it and not know!)
Taco shells have been fine for me from about 4 months out. Don't eat them a lot, but no problems.
Cabbage is fine, too. I don't adore it so don't eat it very often.

Popcorn with lots and lots of butter is a frequent snack.
I pretty much live on corn tortillas, both hard & soft, and corn tortilla chips. Mexican food is my favorite and tacos are a frequent meal here.
I can eat cabbage although I don't eat it often. I just got a cream of cabbage soup recipe that is amazingly good.

I haven't tried popcorn yet, but looking forward to the day I can walk into a movie theater and use @Bagaof4 's line ;)

I haven't had taco shells, but soy & flax seed tortilla chips from a while ago and they go down well and don't hurt the insides.

Cabbage I tried a bite as coleslaw with some BBQ around 3 months or so. Didn't bother me and each time I had BBQ I added another bite, now I have about 1/4 cup or so with a meal and it sits fine. So bizarre to me because it would've given me horrid gas before surgery, but I'm glad I can eat it :)

Thanks to you all so much for answering!! I know that everyone is different so foods may or may not work for me. I am just not willing to try anything that is an almost universal no at this time in my recovery.

XO!!

I'm not a doctor but I personally think that at 1 month post-op you should not touch popcorn or taco shells.

Your stomach is still healing. It take 3-4 months for your stomach and insides to completely heal.

If you're asking for opinions, I would wait at least a couple of months.

I think I waited at least a year for popcorn but it's not a favorite of mine.
I probably waiting at least 6 months for tacos, chips, etc. I chose not to eat things like that while I was in my weight loss phase. I didn't want to sabotage anything.
I don't like cooked cabbage but love cole slaw. Probably had a few bites here and there in the first few months. Now I make it on a regular basis - I only like mine (I'm picky).

For the first six months or so my motto was if it didn't have protein or wasn't a vehicle for protein, I would wait until I lost all my excess weight.

One of the hardest things to adjust to post-op is patience. Eventually you can eat ANYTHING you want. Some things may not agree with you or your system may react differently than it did before surgery. I know now it feels like you'll NEVER be able to eat the things you love ever again. But I guarantee you will.

I eat coleslaw, popcorn, corn tortilla chips and shells, doritos, and potato chips as a treat from time to time without a problem (since about one year post DS). I have no problems with the popcorn I make at home in coconut oil, topped with butter and salt and sometimes cheese. I, however, can't eat the popcorn that they make at my local movie theater, as it causes terrible gas - I've had to excuse myself and miss the end of the movie twice - never again.

I'm not a doctor but I personally think that at 1 month post-op you should not touch popcorn or taco shells.

Your stomach is still healing. It take 3-4 months for your stomach and insides to completely heal.

If you're asking for opinions, I would wait at least a couple of months.

I think I waited at least a year for popcorn but it's not a favorite of mine.
I probably waiting at least 6 months for tacos, chips, etc. I chose not to eat things like that while I was in my weight loss phase. I didn't want to sabotage anything.
I don't like cooked cabbage but love cole slaw. Probably had a few bites here and there in the first few months. Now I make it on a regular basis - I only like mine (I'm picky).

For the first six months or so my motto was if it didn't have protein or wasn't a vehicle for protein, I would wait until I lost all my excess weight.

One of the hardest things to adjust to post-op is patience. Eventually you can eat ANYTHING you want. Some things may not agree with you or your system may react differently than it did before surgery. I know now it feels like you'll NEVER be able to eat the things you love ever again. But I guarantee you will.

While I am trying to introduce new foods, I do plan to wait on the popcorn and taco shells.

I eat coleslaw, popcorn, corn tortilla chips and shells, doritos, and potato chips as a treat from time to time without a problem (since about one year post DS). I have no problems with the popcorn I make at home in coconut oil, topped with butter and salt and sometimes cheese. I, however, can't eat the popcorn that they make at my local movie theater, as it causes terrible gas - I've had to excuse myself and miss the end of the movie twice - never again.

Oooh, good to know.

Love popcorn. Love my whirlypop!
whirlypop-sm.jpg

Popcorn with lots and lots of butter is a frequent snack.
I pretty much live on corn tortillas, both hard & soft, and corn tortilla chips. Mexican food is my favorite and tacos are a frequent meal here.
I can eat cabbage although I don't eat it often. I just got a cream of cabbage soup recipe that is amazingly good.

How about you post the recipe over on Recipes?? pretty please?

At one month out, I'd stay away from the cabbage too. If not, I see a tummy ache in your future ;)

Latest posts

Back