So here I am

IndyGirl

I am a little over two weeks out and I am down 26 pounds. I can only eat a couple of ounces at a time and my water intake has slowed down. Other than the brain fog, I am feeling pretty good. I am not doing well with the pain meds and I had to stop them. They make me feel terrible.

So it is amazing that I can lose 26 pounds in 18 days. I know most of it is fluid, but still. That is the most that I have lost in a long time. I am tired of being at home, though and I get to go back to school on the Tuesday after labor day. Hopefully after another month, I can go back to my internship with Erin. I miss being there. I reapplied for this year, but I don't know if the surgery will take me out of the running for the program.

One thing I was surprised at is no one set a weight loss goal for me. I don't know what my ultimate goal is and I am trying to figure that out.

I have been adding vitamins everyday. You guys were so right about those...once you get a schedule down it is easy to stay on top of them.

Set your own weight loss goal. Where are you happy? What weight do YOU want to reach?
The important thing is that you make you comfortable and healthy.

My first goal was to get off of my cholesterol and BP meds. Once I did that, I set other goals for myself.

Oh, and you missed it...I can sit with my legs in my chair now. Soon I will be able to fit in my bathtub again.

Once you are sufficiently recovered, let's get together at the gazebo and go for a little stroll and get caught up.

You're doing great! Isn't it amazing how many people worry about taking the vitamins, and it turns out once you make up your mind to do it, it's easy? It just becomes part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth.
Keep up the good work.

I never had a goal either...and I was happy not to.

Sounds like you're doing well. Just sip as much as you can and try and walk. I remember taking a turn around the garden near my building 4x a day. Dull, but effective.

Hooray for getting on track right away on the vitamins! Sounds like you are doing well overall and your initial weight loss is impressive. :) Stay focused on taking great care of you!

Congratulations to you lady! You are rocking it. I cant wait for us to be able to see your before and after pictures when its all said and done. You are lucky to have someone close to you that can guide you through and help figure stuff out with the DS!!

No one ever made a goal for me, either, I made my own and then passed them! Now get to drinking, it's the most important thing you need to do right now. If you're dehydrated, you'll never make it through a day of school or internship!

@IndyGirl Dr. K never gave me a goal but when I went to him last I was 165 he said I still had about 15 pounds to loose. That would be 150. That is not where I want to be i want a normal bmi and not over weight but he said with skin removal I'll be where I need be. But I'm trying for 130 so if when bounce back happens I will be 140 at most. When I was sick I was 138 and he said oh that was way to small for you. But according to the bmi calculator my range is 98 to 128. I'm 4'11

Edit grammar, spelling

Last edited:
Great to hear from you! I first made my own goal to reach a normal BMI but that isn't too much for me bc my starting BMI was not that high. Now I have a new goal to get lower than that but how much, I'm not sure.
It's actually kind of liberating to see this way of eating as permanent rather than a diet (I am 11 weeks out) and to just treat every day like a small victory if I get my protein and exercise in rather than perseveration on the numbers. I can't believe I'm saying that bc that was so not me before the DS.

If you want a goal, make your own. Then shoot for about 10% more to make up for bounceback. Sounds like you are doing well!

Thanks everybody. Things are going pretty well. I took vitamin spreadsheet that @GirlFriday uses and then changed it to suit me. That has helped a lot with keeping things organized. She talked to me a lot about planning and staying on top of things so I can do this. I am working so hard on that right now.

Mom and Dad signed the whole family up for healthy cooking classes. My sister will finally learn how to cook (lol) but most of what they are cooking isn't DS food. Last night was our first class and we made sweet potato soup lol. I had two bites and it was good, but then I was full. It will be OK, though because the whole family is eating healthier now. My sister (who is usually evil) has been really nice since the surgery and has even walked around the neighborhood with me some.

I like my counselor, she is a nice lady.

I am still on soft foods and I eat a lot of eggs. They taste the best to me and I can fix them many ways. My favorite is baked eggs with hot sauce. I am glad I can still eat hot sauce.

In time, you will probably be able to eat anything you ate before. After you are healed and you are eating and drinking well it's time to forget carbs till you reach your goal!

Latest posts

Back