So Frustrated, Please Read, Need Advice?

There is NO CONVINCING MEDICAL EVIDENCE that dieting "to shrink the liver" does SHIT to improve the outcome of bariatric surgery, but there is a TON of evidence that it discourages people from ever getting it.

http://asmbs.org/resources/preoperative-supervised-weight-loss-requirements
Summary and Recommendations
  1. There are no Class I studies or evidence-based reports that document the benefits of, or the need for, a 6 to 12 month pre-operative dietary weight loss program before bariatric surgery. The current evidence supporting preoperative weight loss involves physician-mandated weight loss to improve surgical risk or to evaluate patient adherence. Although many believe there may be benefits to acute preoperative weight loss in the weeks before bariatric surgery, the available Class II-IV data regarding acute weight loss prior to bariatric surgery are indeterminate and provide conflicting results leading to no clear consensus at this time. Preoperative weight loss that is recommended by the surgeon and/or the multi-disciplinary bariatric treatment team due to an individual patient’s needs may have value for the purposes of improving surgical risk or evaluating patient adherence , but is supported only by low-level evidence in the literature at the present time.
  2. One effect of mandated preoperative weight management prior to bariatric surgery is attrition of patients from bariatric surgery programs. This barrier to care is likely related to patient inconvenience, frustration, healthcare costs and lost income due to the requirement for repeated physician visits that are not covered by health insurance.
It is the position of the ASMBS that the requirement for documentation of prolonged preoperative diet efforts before health insurance carrier approval of bariatric surgery services is inappropriate, capricious, and counter-productive given the complete absence of a reasonable level of medical evidence to support this practice. Policies such as these that delay, impede or otherwise interfere with life-saving and cost-effective treatment, as have been proven to be true for bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity, are unacceptable without supporting evidence. Individual surgeons and programs should be free to recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and circumstances of the patient.

That last part, in red, is an inconsistent throw-in to placate the fatty-hating surgeons who insist on putting their patients through pointless, unsupported, torturous, needless deprivation and stress.

@southernlady: another glitch - the italics aren't showing up. In the draft form, all the red parts are in italics, but they are not showing up in the post.

Last edited:
I would copy this and take it to any surgeon that has this as requirement! I'd bitch moan and groan until I got them to listen!! There really is a good reason I am known as as queen bitch on both sides of our family's. I wear the title proudly!

I was on OH and told someone who slipped up and had ONE piece of pizza during her liquid diet, that she shouldn't beat herself up and it won't wreck her surgery. Whew boy did I get bitched at for that. One person called me a dingbat because the liver "deactivates" during the liquid diet and because of the pizza it "reactivated". I didn't know you could turn your liver off.

I was on OH and told someone who slipped up and had ONE piece of pizza during her liquid diet, that she shouldn't beat herself up and it won't wreck her surgery. Whew boy did I get bitched at for that. One person called me a dingbat because the liver "deactivates" during the liquid diet and because of the pizza it "reactivated". I didn't know you could turn your liver off.
OH is mostly a wasteland of mis- and disinformation.

Oh lord :eek:o_O

Yeah, I saw that! I think what that person said is that basically your liver shrinks and even eating one piece of pizza would blow it back up again to its old size. I wonder whose surgeon told her that baloney...

Individual surgeons and programs should be free to recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and circumstances of the patient.

That last part, in red, is an inconsistent throw-in to placate the fatty-hating surgeons who insist on putting their patients through pointless, unsupported, torturous, needless deprivation and stress.

@southernlady: another glitch - the italics aren't showing up. In the draft form, all the red parts are in italics, but they are not showing up in the post.
It's showing now???? Did you edit it?

Also, can you repost that as it's own post so we can sticky it in the main forum?

Oh Lordy. I would make sure Dr. Wilson heard about that resident and make very, VERY clear that I'd better not have that asshole anywhere near me ever again.

I would make it an EXPRESS condition of your consent form that Wilson and ONLY Wilson performs your operation - we have heard numerous reports of patients at teaching hospitals being operated on by residents, sometimes without the managing (approved) surgeon in the room! I would NOT want that biased "med student" (I assume he was actually a resident) doing my operation.

Diana, you are right as usual, I asked Dr.Wilson that directly and he assured me on his DS patients, he does 100% of the surgery. He actually said on most all his surgeries he does about 90% of the operation…….SO…now part 2…A whole other question. I should probably open in new thread as my gut instincts tell me this may be a whole other complete “Can of worms” or whip ass..but, here goes anyway. He also performs the surgery using the Da Vinci Robot. I tried to do a search on this forum and didn’t see anything…so, ????????? Fire away :D:D

Diana, you are right as usual, I asked Dr.Wilson that directly and he assured me on his DS patients, he does 100% of the surgery. He actually said on most all his surgeries he does about 90% of the operation…….SO…now part 2…A whole other question. I should probably open in new thread as my gut instincts tell me this may be a whole other complete “Can of worms” or whip ass..but, here goes anyway. He also performs the surgery using the Da Vinci Robot. I tried to do a search on this forum and didn’t see anything…so, ????????? Fire away J
That's not uncommon, I've seen lots of people mention it while I've been around.

I have always heard we have plumbing, but now to find out that we have "electric" as well, is amazing. Apparently we have a Home Depot in side of us!

Diana, you are right as usual, I asked Dr.Wilson that directly and he assured me on his DS patients, he does 100% of the surgery. He actually said on most all his surgeries he does about 90% of the operation…….SO…now part 2…A whole other question. I should probably open in new thread as my gut instincts tell me this may be a whole other complete “Can of worms” or whip ass..but, here goes anyway. He also performs the surgery using the Da Vinci Robot. I tried to do a search on this forum and didn’t see anything…so, ????????? Fire away :D:D

Dr. Inman uses the Da Vinci Robot. I believe it is standard when being done laproscopic, isn't it?

He also performs the surgery using the Da Vinci Robot. I tried to do a search on this forum and didn’t see anything…so, ????????? Fire away :D:D

A few years ago when I had my hysterectomy the surgeon used this and told me that it was the future. She said that her patients got better dramatically faster and that it made the surgery itself faster and safer. She that to physically mimic the extra abilities the robot gives her she would need to grow a few extra arms and shrink dramatically. Now days this isn't controversial at all, at least in general surgeries. The machines are extremely expensive, so you still generally see them at the larger/richer hospitals.

Whip ass it is.

Once you have found a doctor you trust are you going to inspect all of his tools for the brand names? I mean...at this point, you may just have to trust that he isn't using the Harbor Freight knock-off version of everything.

And...DaVinci is the brand that many, many surgeons brag (in their advertising) about using.

ETA...And a DaVinci costs $1.5-2.0 million. I'm not sure about the Harbor Freight version...lol

Latest posts

Back