So Frustrated, Please Read, Need Advice?

Rob, I had the DS with Dr. Ricardo Bonnor in Houston (his office is in the Katy Area). I went in looking to have the RnY and he suggested the DS and explained why and then I was hooked on the DS, I had my surgery almost a year ago and am doing great! I see that you have seen Dr. Bonnor... do not get why he did not want to do the DS when he suggested it to me. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with him. Ok I will add that Dr. Bonnor told me about the possibility of having to do the DS in 2 stages but I stressed how I want it in one no matter what and even though my surgery was long due to allot of scare tissue due to a previous surgery he got it done in one. So I see the hesitation of going to him. I am starting to see more and more of docs trying to pull that. Hope the best for you.

Last edited:
Thxs all for the advice....@ Vinnero, First off, congratulations on all your weight that you have lost! Yes, I seen Dr, Bonnor actually first, BUT...he scared me off by talking that "DS in 2 stages" stuff...I did like him and was impressed with everything else. I may go back for a 2nd consultation and re-stress the fact that I want it ALL done at one time. He was saying "If he gets in their and see's liver disease or a fatty liver or doesn't have enough room, he would have to do the two stage thing...AND that will NOT work for me. Why cant I just tell them DS or nothing, just close me back up or OPEN me up and do it, but I just cant take a chance...Hence the title..."So Frustrated"...

Agree with you, with me I just made sure I stuck with the liquid pre-diet, that helped my liver shrink up some. Good luck and I say stick to your guns!

Agree with you, with me I just made sure I stuck with the liquid pre-diet, that helped my liver shrink up some. Good luck and I say stick to your guns!
Just nit-picking, as I often do...but how do you KNOW, FOR SURE, that your liver shrunk?

I hear it all the time, but I wonder how people who say it worked KNOW it worked.

True, I guess did not think about that, it could have been the same size before, was just assuming it did, with out some kind of test before, I guess will truely never know.

True, I guess did not think about that, it could have been the same size before, was just assuming it did, with out some kind of test before, I guess will truely never know.
I wasn't trying to " correct" you...it's just that so many doctors have people on some kind of diet and since I didn't have to do that, I wonder when it became something that really helps...or of it's just one more thing to tell fat people to do.

Regarding Dr. Erik Wilson, here’s another piece of info for this thread. I’ve FINALLY made my decision! I chose Dr. Erik Wilson to be my DS Surgeon. I seen him last wed, just two days ago and was very impressed, and equally important, we were on the same page. He said he only agrees to do the DS on a select few patients that fit his criteria, most of which being having the knowledge of post op diet, lifelong supplementation etc. and said I was an ideal candidate for the DS and said “let’s do it”. He said he never does a two stage DS, (which has been my biggest hurdle here in Houston), unless they have a BMI over 70 or 80 and agreed upon BEFORE surgery. So, I started my NUT and my 90 dietician stuff and will be looking at a surgery date of early January.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I am betting that this will have been the most frustrating and hardest part, including the surgery! I won’t know that for sure until 6 months from now, BUT, seeing/interviewing FIVE Surgeons, filling out all the GD redundant paperwork and forms, taking off work, all Five times and dealing with all the office BS, bait and switches etc has been probably THE most frustrating thing I’ve ever been through….BUT, I swear, I don’t know what I would of or could have done without the knowledge I’ve obtained from all you VETS on these forums, and I say unto you all again, THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Well, I don't care for his attitude (nor the fact that he's not as experienced at the DS because he does so few of them and gets rusty in between), but of all the Houston docs, he's the least objectionable. How's that for damning with faint praise?

Well, I’ve FINALLY made my decision! I chose Dr. Erik Wilson to be my DS Surgeon. I seen him last wed, just two days ago and was very impressed, and equally important, we were on the same page. He said he only agrees to do the DS on a select few patients that fit his criteria, most of which being having the knowledge of post op diet, lifelong supplementation etc. and said I was an ideal candidate for the DS and said “let’s do it”. He said he never does a two stage DS, (which has been my biggest hurdle here in Houston), unless they have a BMI over 70 or 80 and agreed upon BEFORE surgery. So, I started my NUT and my 90 dietician stuff and will be looking at a surgery date of early January.
Decisions can be good things! So decide to nod and ignore the NUT if s/he starts going all RnY on you.

Good luck.

Decisions can be good things! So decide to nod and ignore the NUT if s/he starts going all RnY on you.

Good luck.

GD...said it before, say it agin...you guys know everything!! The resident med student already did that!! I had to tell him several times to stop with the RNY sales pitch and then he even said.."Well, all Im asking you is to keep an open mind"...lol! . Dr. Wilson didnt even try....when Dr. Wilson left the med student even had the gall to come back in and ask me did we even discusse the RNY...I couldnt believe it!

I would make it an EXPRESS condition of your consent form that Wilson and ONLY Wilson performs your operation - we have heard numerous reports of patients at teaching hospitals being operated on by residents, sometimes without the managing (approved) surgeon in the room! I would NOT want that biased "med student" (I assume he was actually a resident) doing my operation.

Sounds like you make the best possible decision you could have, and that Dr. Wilson and you are indeed on the same page. Also sounds like he needs to do a better job working with that resident, who has no business pushing any patient into or out of a particular choice of bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery isn't a one size fits all type of thing, and the resident needs to understand this.
Keep us posted as you move forward towards a surgery date.

I agree with Spiky! I didn't do any diet before VBG, DS and then corrective surgery with Dr. Keshishian. Not even the shrinking your liver thing. I especially wish they wouldn't put people through that 3- 6 month diet. To me that is so wrong! We have all tried so many diets. It is just plain cruel!

Latest posts

Back