Small bowel intestinal overgrowth

Kimberly B

After my very sincere ode to Diana, I want to ask some questions that my PCP asked me about treating this in me.

One, she prescribed 500 mg flagyl three times a day for two weeks, which may continue but we will re evatuate before then. She read that that needed to be paired with another systemic antibiotic, Keflex, and so I'm supposed to take that too.

But she told me not to start until I went to whole foods and got a prebiotic and a probiotic to take at the same time. She told me that the probiotic should be 500,000 CFU or higher, and refrigerated. Now, I know nothing about this. I buy align at the store, over the counter at Walgreens, and pop 2-3 in the morning when I remember. Until now.

Now I am going to take care of ME. I need to.

I'm going back next week to have her examine me, we talked over an hour for my first new patient apt and so I'll be back then. But I want to start on this course soon.

She also told me until my labs get back about specific minerals that I am off on, I should drink liquid minerals. And get these things at Whole Foods or Harvest House, but then order them for cheap later online at vitacost.com...

Her biggest question to me which I had no clue about but told her I'd ask this wonderful group of educated DSers on here, is "how do the pre and probiotics get to the biliopancreatic limb if they are going through the stomach? Do they somehow spill back up there from the common limb?

That might be a stupid question, I dont' even know how probiotics work, and can't they be "systemic" like antibiotics?" But I'm asking here.

I have been in pain, had very loud bowel sounds, been 6 months pregnant with gas every night, unable to fart, low energy, intermittent diahrea/constipation, and my GI idiot told me that it was because I chose the DS, and I had to suffer. THat's literally what he said. Like he hadn't heard of SBIO before....

So the question is on the pre and pro biotics? How do I order the right ones, what colonies specifically, if any? How do they work? This doctor is so excited to learn more about me, and to help me. It really makes me tear up.

It's time for me. I'm back on fitday.com logging my food as of now. I am going to log when I have pain from my adhesions and from intestinal cramps due to malabsorption as well, to connect it to foods.

One thing with me is, I cannot eat fatty animal protein. No bacon, pork butt, hamburger, and the like. Makes me sick, always has. She told me to avoid animal protein but eat fish, dairy (I can do that) eggs, tofu, etc. And to eat a High fat, low carb, and LOW FIBER diet. That may be a whole 'nother conversation, the diet part.

I'm on the path to getting better. Finally. 15 year later, and before I totally destroyed my body because I did not respect the surgery. I was a golden girl, surgery at 391, on two Bay area tv shows profiled 12 years ago as such a superstar, running 10ks, being featured in the Oakland tribune, and I maintained 160-170 for about 10 years, I was a size 10, and I was beautiful, actually, and didn't know it.

Now I'm up to 210, sickly a lot of the time, skip meals, take no vitamins, barely take my own meds if I remember, sleep terribly, have extremely high stress levels and take no time for myself. With my children's problems and situational problems some of this couldn't be avoided, but I am now here for me.

Sorry for the cheerleader type talk to myself, but I want people on here to know that you cannot wing it, it WILL catch up with you. I am still relatively healthy, no major problems yet, but I was on the road there. And this bloating, stomach noises, gas and pain has been just miserable....

But because of Diana Cox and this community, NOT by going to a surgeon where they have you meet briefly with a PA and go on your way...I now KNOW what's wrong with me. And I am going to get back to feeling great every day, and hopefully to a 10-12 size again, but more importantly, feeling great every day. :)

Sorry for the long post.; Any feedback would be welcome. I'm going to try to check this board once a day or so, I need to. Thank you, .

how do the pre and probiotics get to the biliopancreatic limb if they are going through the stomach? Do they somehow spill back up there from the common limb?
Yup. They are not small molecules that get out of the gut and into the bloodstream. The prebiotics are complex carbs that are not going to get into the BP limb, but the probiotics are living motile bacteria which reproduce and - with careful nurturing of your gut environment - will colonize the BP limb as well.

Go to El Pollo Loco - buy a box of chicken THIGHS. Eat and enjoy, skin and all.

Oh, and it's SIBO - Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth.

I for one am grateful you are here telling your story of trials and tribulations in DSland. It's good to see as a preop that even when things go a little tits up, it is fixable. :) You new GP sounds fanfreakingtastic!!! A keeper for sure!

hello!

I'm glad you have a doctor who wants to learn about your DS and that you have Diana and the other vets to help you. :41:

(I wonder if there are other areas in healthcare where the community is way out in front of the doctors? I'll bet there are many)

Wow 12 years out, I am hoping! Thank you for letting us know how important it is to take care of ourselves for the long term! I had DS on 9/4/13 and am down 70 lbs from 303 SW! I will be 80 in 12 years!! Holly cow!! Why did I wait so long to restart my life! But I am going to take care of myself!!

Hi Linda!

:wave:

I waited because I really didn't know about surgery. well, a teensy bit (and a lot of it wrong) about banding and Rny

Probiotics - florastor. They have it in a fridge behind the pharmacy counter at my Target. It is awesome!
Hi. I looked up Florastor online before going to Target to try and find it, and one, it doesn't say how many "colonies" there are (I guess I need over 500k I have no idea what I am doing though...) and also that it does not need to be refrigerated?

Florastor does not need refrigeration. The colonies are "Saccharomyces boulardii lyo", 250 mg per capsule, but my box doesn't say how many colonies per capsule. They work the best of any probiotic I've tried, and I've tried all the usual ones.

Hi. I looked up Florastor online before going to Target to try and find it, and one, it doesn't say how many "colonies" there are (I guess I need over 500k I have no idea what I am doing though...) and also that it does not need to be refrigerated?
The pediatric version is what I have, sorry for confusion. It is packets of granules and kept in refrigerator.

Yeah, there's also a warning on Florastor about not getting it near someone's PICC line. Mine are in a vacuum sealed foil type packaging. The dosage calls for one in the AM and one at night, but I took 6 a day when I had my overgrowth. Mine was totally gone by the 3rd day on Florastor. My overgrowth was from two back-to-back urinary tract infections, both treated with big hammer antibiotics.

On another note, I learned the hard way that Jacuzzi tubs can cause a UTI from hell. Blood-peeing, UTI's from Hell.

I bought oct non refrigerated florastkr and also primal defense ultra. I'm on day thre on flarastor and Keflex, and have taken one primal defense ultra a day, they have 5 billion colonies a capsule I was told to only take one with 500k colonies. Is that enough? Do I add the florastor too? I am making this up as I go along really with some advice from you guys and my new drs internet research. I've been on this three days and I have more gas than ever, it keeps me awake it's so painful. I am six months pregnant looking and feeling still. It sucks. I've had this, remember, for three full months. And interestingly enough it got tons worse when I had to have three different t antibiotics for a bad UTI last December. Coincidence?

Sometime, ABX makes things worse for a bit. Have you tried Gax-X?

With probiotics, more is usually better - I've never even heard of a "real" probiotic with less than 1M colonies. Take the florastor and the PDU.

Latest posts

Back